• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

budgie cage size?

conureluv

Sprinting down the street

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Lady Jane do u feed other pellets and do u feed chopped veggies?
Harrison's is a really good brand.
As for the veggies, they are an absolute necessity in a budgie's diet. But, not all budgies will like vegetables right away. I was pretty lucky with my birds. It only took me 2 weeks to get them to eat vegetables. Others take longer.
Broccoli is a great vegetable to start with since it looks a lot like seeds.
Also, not all birds like chop. Mine hate it. I have to cut their vegetables into bigger pieces, and they have to be made fresh every morning. Other birds might only eat vegetables if they are big pieces clipped to the cage. Each bird is different. You just have to try things out and see what works.

AlexT303

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex Turanskiy
ok thx for the help, do u have english or american budgies?

AlexT303

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex Turanskiy
does the breeder u recommend me usually have english budgies and how much did u buy yours for? sry for so many questions
@DesertBird

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
does the breeder u recommend me usually have english budgies and how much did u buy yours for? sry for so many questions
@DesertBird
Most cheap, bad pet stores sell american budgies for 15$, and English ones are less common, run for about 70.

Desertbird has american.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I fed Harrisons extra fine pellets mixed with the seeds. Veggies were fed in many ways, especially i the birdie bread i made. Due to medical complications from feather dust i no longer have any birds Dont think budgies are feather dust free - not so.

AlexT303

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex Turanskiy
@Sunni Tiel i know u kinda answered this question to me before but still, i am allergic to cats, pollen, and dust, do u think i will be allergic to cockatiels,cause i want to get a budgie in one enclosure and a cockatiel in another but still have them interact

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Good chance you will have allergy issues. Wear mask when cleaning cages. Get a good air filtration system.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
@Sunni Tiel i know u kinda answered this question to me before but still, i am allergic to cats, pollen, and dust, do u think i will be allergic to cockatiels,cause i want to get a budgie in one enclosure and a cockatiel in another but still have them interact
Yes, you are probably allergic to cockatiel dust. Keep in mind that all birds have dust, even budgies. It's just considerably less.

AlexT303

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex Turanskiy
Yes, you are probably allergic to cockatiel dust. Keep in mind that all birds have dust, even budgies. It's just considerably less.
i have been around budgie for a couple years and nver showed any allergic reactions but have never seen a cockatiel in person so i dont know about them

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
i have been around budgie for a couple years and nver showed any allergic reactions but have never seen a cockatiel in person so i dont know about them
Then you're fine.
Have you considered a GCC? Just wondering, I haven't seen much thought on them in this thread.

AlexT303

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex Turanskiy
Then you're fine.
Have you considered a GCC? Just wondering, I haven't seen much thought on them in this thread.
i have and i really want one, it is just that i am afraid they are too loud. do u have any experience with them, if so are they loud or just like parakeets and cockatiels?

AlexT303

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex Turanskiy
plus not a big fan of biting birds, i live with my parents and they said if everything goes well with a budgie and i want another bird i can get a bigger bird, with that said i will probably opt for a african grey because their intelligence is very fascinating to me

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
plus not a big fan of biting birds, i live with my parents and they said if everything goes well with a budgie and i want another bird i can get a bigger bird, with that said i will probably opt for a african grey because their intelligence is very fascinating to me
African Greys are A LOT of work, it's like having a flying 5 year old to take care of. They have as much dust, if not more, than a cockatiel. So many things you need to research, experience, and learn that I can't fit it all in eight hundred posts before you know how to properly take care of them.

GCCs are like cockatiels, but a little smarter and louder. Also don't have as much dust. Also put into consideration who will watch your bird when you go to college and school. Your bird will live a long time, make sure you are up for the challenge. Birds are in many ways harder to take care of than cats and dogs.

Just continue to do your research and make sure you know a bird is right for you.

AlexT303

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex Turanskiy
African Greys are A LOT of work, it's like having a flying 5 year old to take care of. They have as much dust, if not more, than a cockatiel. So many things you need to research, experience, and learn that I can't fit it all in eight hundred posts before you know how to properly take care of them.

GCCs are like cockatiels, but a little smarter and louder. Also don't have as much dust. Also put into consideration who will watch your bird when you go to college and school. Your bird will live a long time, make sure you are up for the challenge. Birds are in many ways harder to take care of than cats and dogs.

Just continue to do your research and make sure you know a bird is right for you.
with that siad i will stick to budgies for now

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
My budgie was a huge biter, still is, accually but he chose my sister as his person so he's hers. He bites all the time. I've never in the 3 months of having Sunni (cockatiel) been bitten. Sunni was hand tame though, so I recommend getting a hand tame budgie if there's the option. Budgies live usually 10-15 years, I assume you'll be still going to school/collage in that time, but maybe not. Just something to consider.

The best ones to get are the parent raised, hand tame ones. When they're parent raised, they know they're birds and when they're hand raised they think they're humans. it can lead to not being able to fly well, be independent, and take care of themselves. You can do training for most of those to improve. The parent raised ones are usually more hands off, not cuddly and very skittish. If they were handled often and positively but still raised by their parents, it's perfect. You also should look for one that was weaned onto pellets, but still seeds and veggies. It can sometimes be hard to convert them.