• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bonded lovebird and parrotlet

Char123

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Charlotte
Hi I have both a parrotlet and a rescue lovebird, when I got them they was in separate cages however decided they wanted to be together so for the past year and a bit they have not been separated but since January my lovebird who is male has got a bit too heavy handed with his mating ritual and they seem to argue a lot. I have decided to separate them into separate cages but in the same room I just wanted to know what other bird owners think I should do as my parrotlet is trying to get herself out her cage but I don’t want either of them hurt. Thank you for your time

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
I have 2 parrotletts and if they could they would attack my Macaw and Amazons. They are fearless and very aggressive. I love them but would never trust them around my other smaller parrots. My Bourkes and parakeets are covered when the parrotletts are flying. They are best buddies when their out but housed separate. @Zara

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Charlotte 1.welcome signs.gif

I don´t really know the answer. I hear p´lets have a similar feistiness like lovebirds. If they were bonded and living together nicely, I would let them. But if there was any fights, then no, I would split them up and house them side by side. You can set up perches level to each other so they can sit ¨together¨.
Be sure to introduce lots of foraging activities and various different toys so they have things to entertain them both.

my lovebird who is male has got a bit too heavy handed with his mating ritual
This is usually what makes a pair of birds start fighting. It can happen with sibling birds too when they grow and sexually mature, then fight and fall out because they are not compatible.