• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Body language of caique

Cyreen

Rollerblading along the road
You are the parent. Caiques being genetically stubborn, need a very firm "No" and if you have to towel them or step them up on a stick, there are certain dangers you have to be aware of because... yes, a Caique will find them (i.e. electrical cords). Part of owning parrots is parrot-proofing your house, just as you would for a puppy or a small child.

nebraska

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angela
Sounds like you are getting some good advice.

I was wondering if they are in the same cage? If so then you will need to make sure that they get along well. Again you can tell by their body language. Caiques are rough in play but when they are truly being aggressive it looks different. I am quite paranoid that one of mine might hurt another one but so far so good. I am watching closely.

A pair of caiques need more a bigger cage than a single caique.
yes i am watching them closely too... the male gets agressiv if he wants to get out of his cage but i dont and then he attacks the female - yesterday evening we where watching football and acctually it was time for them to sleep- he wanted to come out but was soooo tired that his eyes already got small - and then he started attacking her.
When i wanted to get him out in a small cage so he stops ( i call it guantanamo) she protectet him. she watches that he does not get punished and takes all the hits she gets from him. --- i had to put him in guantanamo but they could see each other and i waited till he calmed down then i put him back cause he was so good and gave them a treat. it was ok everything was peaceful they went in their little house for sleeping and i heard all these sweet sounds and soft whistelings. hahaha.

he has quite a few feathers she bit and she trimmed his wings !I did not!

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
yes i am watching them closely too... the male gets agressiv if he wants to get out of his cage but i dont and then he attacks the female - yesterday evening we where watching football and acctually it was time for them to sleep- he wanted to come out but was soooo tired that his eyes already got small - and then he started attacking her.
When i wanted to get him out in a small cage so he stops ( i call it guantanamo) she protectet him. she watches that he does not get punished and takes all the hits she gets from him. --- i had to put him in guantanamo but they could see each other and i waited till he calmed down then i put him back cause he was so good and gave them a treat. it was ok everything was peaceful they went in their little house for sleeping and i heard all these sweet sounds and soft whistelings. hahaha.

he has quite a few feathers she bit and she trimmed his wings !I did not!
Hi Angela,

I am so glad you are here and are asking questions. It is very hard to now exactly what is going on from your descriptions but I am a bit concerned. You say that the male attacks the female. Can you describe exactly what he does.

For instance, "he gets mad and attacks" her is not specific enough.

Something along the lines of "I walk in the room and both birds come to the side nearest me. Then the male turns to the female with raised feathers on the nape of his neck and lunges at her. Then the female runs away."

Or

"I am sitting on the couch watching TV and then seemingly without warning I here a squealing noise and when I look over the male is lunging at the female and she is standing her ground making noises back and after a few seconds they both turn their attention to me"

I would also love to know what the actual cage size you have them in is (how many inches or feet wide, tall, deep).

Do you see signs that the two of them are bonded to one another? If so, what?

I only ask because two caiques who are not pair bonded sharing a cage when they do not want to or do not have enough space can mean serious injury or death to one of them.

I don't mean to scare you but I'd love to hear more about their interactions. :)

nebraska

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angela
image.jpg Thanks for your answer and wau I don't understand all the words you are using :waitsws2:
But I got a guess of what you mean.
Cage size
Größe (BxTxH):
ca. 90 x 71 x 166 cm (ohne Schürze)
ca. 105 x 86 x 166 cm (mit Schürze)
That is a Miami from Montana cages

nebraska

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angela
I don't know where the rest of my answer went :waitsws:
Ok I post some videos ..links from YouTube ...sorry this took so long because it did not work and i had to write like for ever often :

nebraska

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angela
Caique Chesmu & Malika feeling well - YouTube
Ok I hope this looks like caiques that are ok together.
They sleep together in a little house now. Did not do that from the beginning but they seem to be in a better mood since they do that.
(Please don't be frustrated with me - sometimes I just miss words cause English is not my native language)

nebraska

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angela
Surfing is something very specific to Caiques and is done at all ages and times of year, particularly at bath time, but mine liked to surf on me. It's usually happy and affectionate; think full-body self petting.

. Here are mine doing it ...thanks for the video I finally found out how to do it so I just add one of my two doing it laugh out loud so funny when they do that

nebraska

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angela
:grouphug2: I big thank you to everybody helping here so much I really appreciate every single try to help me and communication it really helped me a lot already. I understand my birds language better and we come along better. Sooo happy thank you'll.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Thanks for posting the videos and the cage info.

Your birds are beautiful and they look like they are getting along great! Everything that they are doing in the videos is normal caique play and nothing to worry about. Thanks, I feel better.

You are doing great with English :)

Thanks for sharing your birds with us :)

DancingFeathers

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Wo kommst du her? Ihre Weißbauchpapageien sind niedlich. :)

nebraska

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angela
. Here are mine doing it ...thanks for the video I finally found out how to do it so I just add one of my two doing it laugh out loud so funny when they do that
in case you don't see it any more

nebraska

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angela
Thanks for posting the videos and the cage info.

Your birds are beautiful and they look like they are getting along great! Everything that they are doing in the videos is normal caique play and nothing to worry about. Thanks, I feel better.

You are doing great with English :)

Thanks for sharing your birds with us :)
Ok great it maybe just Inbetween like with kids. What I noticed today : he looks at us (my husband and me ) and then he attacks her like with his beak boom boom boom then he looks at us. This bird is trying to get our intention ! :bored: So I told my husband to ignore just look if something bad is happening and then let them .... No 2 minutes and it was over ...I can't believe it :jawsmiley: So thanks again for all that help I appreciate very much. :dance55: