• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Body language of caique

nebraska

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angela
:nervous: I need help! Please
I am searching my head out and cannot find information about the body language of my dear caique.
I have a hand raised and a natural raised caique
1. Bird walking like a flamenco his wings a little up rings in the eyes - looks really funny he does that when I come my hair or just sometimes
2. Sitting on a perch and going down with his head - way down under the perch - slow up and down
3. On what body talk do I see that he is aggressive and wants to jump and bite?

Thanks in advance

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
can you take video so we can see what is going on ?

Cyreen

Rollerblading along the road
Agreed, pictures speak louder than words, but it does sound like hormonal male behavior, which is usually a good time to keep your fingers to yourself, have a perch handy to pick him up with and, if he's on the floor, wear shoes.

Caiques are pretty easy to read when they're being aggressive. If he's doing something that makes you feel nervous, it's probably because that how he wants you to feel.

nebraska

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angela
can you look at my other posts? i postet a real big story about what is happening right now... he is still not 3 years old not even fully 2 years he will be 2 in august but it is like other people wrote... torrette - surfing on a towel flying over to me and sitting on my left hand - doing like a snake puffed up feathers in the neck - eyes dangorus (sorry dont know how to spell) and i go : what is wrong and sap i bit my right hand.... ???? sooooo bad always bleeding...
this is about what happens ... cannot take easy pictures cause as soon as i try i notices and comes over.

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Irishj9 @rockybird @Merlie @tozie12 @roxynoodle @JLcribber

I know John has chipped in on the other thread but hopefully here and with others I have tagged you can get some more info. :)

Sorry if I have missed any other caique owners who can help. :)

Cyreen

Yep, Caique bites are nasty and, yes, when they get overexcited they can change behavior very quickly. He may not be sexually mature, but it sounds like he's practicing and he's figured out what works. It also sounds like you are aware of what his behavior means but aren't reacting accordingly. The key to not getting bit is not giving him the opportunity. Is he stick trained?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
From reading some of your other posts and this it sounds to me like he is just getting wound up and a bit over excited. Then he bites. Pretty natural next step.

What you call towel surfing sounds to me like a bird acting nesty and the towel provides the tool to act that way.

Until you recognize these behaviours and "can" read body language my only suggestion would be to stay calm, keep interactions calm and stop letting him get wound up.

There is always a precursor to being bit. You have to start recognizing them.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Not being familiar at all with caiques, I think I would have to see him to have an opinion. Its not just the movements I look at, but the face, eyes and vocalizations when I'm with a new species.

Caique owners needed: @tozie12 @saroj12

nebraska

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angela
Yep, Caique bites are nasty and, yes, when they get overexcited they can change behavior very quickly. He may not be sexually mature, but it sounds like he's practicing and he's figured out what works. It also sounds like you are aware of what his behavior means but aren't reacting accordingly. The key to not getting bit is not giving him the opportunity. Is he stick trained?
yes he goes on a stick got to get this T stick though ... it got better since i react on anything i feel could be a warning... but that makes me very unrelaxt together with him its like : :facepalm:they're back in the cage' but that cant be it ...

so thank you for all your kind helping words thanks

nebraska

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angela
From reading some of your other posts and this it sounds to me like he is just getting wound up and a bit over excited. Then he bites. Pretty natural next step.

What you call towel surfing sounds to me like a bird acting nesty and the towel provides the tool to act that way.

Until you recognize these behaviours and "can" read body language my only suggestion would be to stay calm, keep interactions calm and stop letting him get wound up.

There is always a precursor to being bit. You have to start recognizing them.
i am trying ... very hard... i bought the book from oh someone told me ... shes got a german name barbara ... it helps too ... so i am into that. staying calm with a caique is not so easy when he is flipping over doing roll over and plays dead he is very unpatient too... different then the female.
thanks for your answer as well

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I think the reasons for his behavior may get more complicated since there is a female involved. He may be protecting her, or it may have nothing to do with her.

My male became very aggressive at about 4 yrs. of age, but he was an only caique. There was ALWAYS a reason for it. The reason seemed to be that he wanted my undivided attention all the time. If I ignored him, even if he was out with me, he would become very angry and inflict terrible bites. The only way I was able to change his behavior was to get him on a routine where he is getting lots of one on one attn. He seems to thrive on a routine. I have to cuddle him, kiss him, play games with him, in short interact with him quite a bit to keep him happy. He just eats the attn. up. My conure, in contrast, is happy to sit and snuggle on my shoulder while I do other things. The caique is not. In addition, and this may sound harsh, I hit a point where I could not tolerate the bites anymore. When he bit, I would cover him in a towel or shirt (not his head) to get control of him, and put him in the walk in closet with the lights out, closing the door. He was never hurt, but he did not like this and I believe it scared him. After a couple minutes, I would go back with the towel or shirt, lightly drape it over him so I had control of him, and pick him up. I would snuggle him against my chest. Somehow this morphed into him liking to be snuggled all wrapped up in a towel or shirt. And he will let me do this anytime now. He loves the one on one attn. Also, my caique will be 12 yrs. old this month and I do think that his behavior has toned down due to his age. However, I do not know how to deal with a caique's behavior when there is a parrot of the opposite sex involved. I think you need to figure out the reasons for his anger. I am really glad that I stuck with my caique through all of these yrs., because I am really attached to him, especially now that I can manage him.

This is the best advice I can give:
1. Watch his eyes and body language. If his pupils constrict, stay away. If he starts marching back and fort, neck feathers raised, stay away.
2. Give them the biggest cage possible with LOTS of toys and LOTS of time out. As you know, they need constant stimulation.
3. When he is manageable, snuggle him, groom him, talk to him, take him for "walks" around the house. Let him see rooms he has never seen or the inside of closets or hold him up to a window he never looks out of. My boy loves for us to do this. He loves new things within the safety of the house.
4. Make sure the female is protected. Caiques can be vicious to one another. I almost adopted a caique that had most of its beak torn off by another caique. He could seriously harm her, or vice versa.
5. From what I have read, females can also become aggressive, so I would watch her for signs also as she matures.
6. Love them for what they are - wild animals forced to live in an environment that they are not evolved to live in.
7. Consider a night cage, a dinner cage or stand, in addition to a day cage to help break up the monotony.
8. Remember that in the wild he has no boundaries but in a domestic household, his life is defined by boundaries - cage walls, not being allowed out when he wants out, etc.

Cyreen

Surfing is something very specific to Caiques and is done at all ages and times of year, particularly at bath time, but mine liked to surf on me. It's usually happy and affectionate; think full-body self petting.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Surfing is something very specific to Caiques and is done at all ages and times of year, particularly at bath time, but mine liked to surf on me. It's usually happy and affectionate; think full-body self petting.

Well now I know what towel surfing is. You learn something every day. :)

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Loads of good information here and I concur

Body language is key. Raised feathers, dilated red eyes, etc - BACK OFF. I find that mine also SCREEAM while doing this. They give AMPLE warnings.

If a caique stands his ground and lunges at you, he IS NOT KIDDING AROUND.

Fingers will run around all over me, play biting and wrestling my hands, squealing like a piggy, but NO RAISED FEATHERS, NO BIG DILATED RED EYES, no warning lunge. This is play fighting, and he loves it. He will go on like this for 20 minutes.

Here is Cha-Cha defending her biscuit. The raised feathers are a BIG warning. This is accompanied by loud piggy squeals. No red eyes yet.

Warning.PNG

This is only DEFCON 2 lol

DEFCON 1 is a sight to see!!

And yes, its the females I watch carefully. A girly in a bad mood is a B****

LOL

Last edited:

nebraska

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angela
I think the reasons for his behavior may get more complicated since there is a female involved. He may be protecting her, or it may have nothing to do with her.

My male became very aggressive at about 4 yrs. of age, but he was an only caique. There was ALWAYS a reason for it. The reason seemed to be that he wanted my undivided attention all the time. If I ignored him, even if he was out with me, he would become very angry and inflict terrible bites. The only way I was able to change his behavior was to get him on a routine where he is getting lots of one on one attn. He seems to thrive on a routine. I have to cuddle him, kiss him, play games with him, in short interact with him quite a bit to keep him happy. He just eats the attn. up. My conure, in contrast, is happy to sit and snuggle on my shoulder while I do other things. The caique is not. In addition, and this may sound harsh, I hit a point where I could not tolerate the bites anymore. When he bit, I would cover him in a towel or shirt (not his head) to get control of him, and put him in the walk in closet with the lights out, closing the door. He was never hurt, but he did not like this and I believe it scared him. After a couple minutes, I would go back with the towel or shirt, lightly drape it over him so I had control of him, and pick him up. I would snuggle him against my chest. Somehow this morphed into him liking to be snuggled all wrapped up in a towel or shirt. And he will let me do this anytime now. He loves the one on one attn. Also, my caique will be 12 yrs. old this month and I do think that his behavior has toned down due to his age. However, I do not know how to deal with a caique's behavior when there is a parrot of the opposite sex involved. I think you need to figure out the reasons for his anger. I am really glad that I stuck with my caique through all of these yrs., because I am really attached to him, especially now that I can manage him.

This is the best advice I can give:
1. Watch his eyes and body language. If his pupils constrict, stay away. If he starts marching back and fort, neck feathers raised, stay away.
2. Give them the biggest cage possible with LOTS of toys and LOTS of time out. As you know, they need constant stimulation.
3. When he is manageable, snuggle him, groom him, talk to him, take him for "walks" around the house. Let him see rooms he has never seen or the inside of closets or hold him up to a window he never looks out of. My boy loves for us to do this. He loves new things within the safety of the house.
4. Make sure the female is protected. Caiques can be vicious to one another. I almost adopted a caique that had most of its beak torn off by another caique. He could seriously harm her, or vice versa.
5. From what I have read, females can also become aggressive, so I would watch her for signs also as she matures.
6. Love them for what they are - wild animals forced to live in an environment that they are not evolved to live in.
7. Consider a night cage, a dinner cage or stand, in addition to a day cage to help break up the monotony.
8. Remember that in the wild he has no boundaries but in a domestic household, his life is defined by boundaries - cage walls, not being allowed out when he wants out, etc.
YES YES YES.... i once also had the impression that if i do my thing while there are out and busy he gets mad because i do not watch him or so... he wants my full concentration.... or undivided attention as you say.... --- just reading the toned down part --- i like that hahahah
ok that sounds a lot like mine.... i already thought that he cannot decide between me and the female caique .. (i had him half a year before the female) but since he gets 2 in august and she is 1 1/2 now it is not so bad. but he is hand raised and i see a problem there. why? well he sits on my hand and i am still in dought (spell??) what he is up to then she will fly over and pull his tail or his wings and his attitude stops - feathers go down again and eyes go to normal. so she is the really smart one. And sensitive. she was raised from her parents.
i also find when he sleeps with her on a perch over night he is not so equilibrium ... how you say? don't have a word... he is a lot more calm when he sleeps in the little house i bought with her. he is nicer calmer sweeter. but they had to learn to go in there to sleep over night.

To point 1.
His eyes:watching: - those pupils also constrict if he is excited when i come in or back from where ever i was... so how do i tell the difference in mad and happy...
i think i already held his beak because i was afraid he will bight but he was just happy.... that is fatal
he never went back and forth .... before he bit o_O
what do you do when he bites in something that is dangerous and he should stop very fast but does not want to and his feathers are all in heaven.... and he his acting more like a dog then a bird and the sound is also that of a mad dog?????

To point 2.
i got the biggest cage i can put in my apartment .... but i still need some ideas for toys i think i don't have enough but cannot find interesting things

To point 3.
yes very true- i opened a window on the other side of the house he never looked out.... those two just loved it... yes new things are cool

To point 4.
that is scary :scared3: can i leave them alone when i need to go somewhere - also like from morning till 4 PM? or will they kill each other ?

To Point 5.
:scared2: till now she is nice hope that stays .... but i know she can

To Point 7.
i got a small cage to sit outside in the shade they love it for a few hours.

good advices- thank you soooo much this really helps. love to read your essay :hug6:

nebraska

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angela
Loads of good information here and I concur

Body language is key. Raised feathers, dilated red eyes, etc - BACK OFF. I find that mine also SCREEAM while doing this. They give AMPLE warnings.

If a caique stands his ground and lunges at you, he IS NOT KIDDING AROUND.

Fingers will run around all over me, play biting and wrestling my hands, squealing like a piggy, but NO RAISED FEATHERS, NO BIG DILATED RED EYES, no warning lunge. This is play fighting, and he loves it. He will go on like this for 20 minutes.

Here is Cha-Cha defending her biscuit. The raised feathers are a BIG warning. This is accompanied by loud piggy squeals. No red eyes yet.

View attachment 177691

This is only DEFCON 2 lol

DEFCON 1 is a sight to see!!

And yes, its the females I watch carefully. A girly in a bad mood is a B****

LOL
:watching: aaaaahhh i think i got the part with the eyes now...... mad is puffed feathers and piggy sound
very very mad and get out of the way:scared1::backout: is when they additionally have red eyes

correct??

ok what do you do when the birds bite in an electric cord (this long thing that looks like a snake - hahah i am not sure if that is the correct word)
and they do that what is on your picture defend it---- with all they have??

thanks for the picture i was trying to make one of mine doing things but he does not like it when i want to make pictures of him hahahahha

nebraska

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angela

that is towel surfing in perfection hahahahah thanks

nebraska

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angela
ok i am watching now that he does not get overexcited thanks for that info .... and i notice it is sooo true

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Sounds like you are getting some good advice.

I was wondering if they are in the same cage? If so then you will need to make sure that they get along well. Again you can tell by their body language. Caiques are rough in play but when they are truly being aggressive it looks different. I am quite paranoid that one of mine might hurt another one but so far so good. I am watching closely.

A pair of caiques need more a bigger cage than a single caique.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
...... mad is puffed feathers and piggy sound
very very mad and get out of the way:scared1::backout: is when they additionally have red eyes
correct??
Thats it. Their eyes are already red but when they get mad their eyes become delated and that Red ring is VERY CLEAR
ok what do you do when the birds bite in an electric cord......
They will die if they bite on an electric cord. STOP THEM by showing them something more interesting. Anything shiny and noisy is good, like a set of keys. Then hide that cord!
JP