• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Boarding

Koby-GCC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordii
Hi everyone,

I have a 3 y/o green-cheek and I was wondering if you guys had any advice on what to do about travelling.

I have no one to look after him, and am extremely paranoid about leaving him with a boarding place.
He his perfectly healthy and never interacted with other birds, so I don't want to put him somewhere with other birds as he may pick up a disease and/or his behaviour may change.
I've worked hard with the 'problem behaviours' and don't want my going away to change any of that.

Unfortunately he is a one person bird (don't worry, I have tried absolutely everything, spoken to the vet and bird experts - nothing I can do anymore). So while I am away he wouldn't even be able to interact with the minder.

I wonder if anyone else has encountered this problem and what you have done.

I haven't been away for the 3 years I've had him, and its significantly impeding my ability to do things I want to do.

Please help. Any advice is MUCH appreciated.

I'm based in Sydney, Australia.

Thank you!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Does your vet offer boarding? I don't know anyone here that could take my birds when I have to go travel, so I have the vet look after them. It's a bit pricey, but if anything goes wrong, I know they can take care of it there, and the staff takes good care of them.

Koby-GCC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordii
They do, but yes, very pricey - especially if more than just a weekend. May be worth looking into though - thanks!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Pity you are not in Vic.......I would look after your baby for you if you were closer :)

Maybe if you hang around here you may meet someone from your area who will look after your bird for you.

Koby-GCC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordii
Ah Shezbug that would have been amazing! Just knowing someone would be willing gives me hope!
Thank you so much!
And good advice, with any luck I'll come across someone Sydney based!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Ah Shezbug that would have been amazing! Just knowing someone would be willing gives me hope!
Thank you so much!
And good advice, with any luck I'll come across someone Sydney based!

From memory there are a few members of AA in Sydney somewhere, I will keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Koby-GCC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordii
Brilliant!
Please let me know if you come across any!
And in the mean time I'll continue to peruse.
Thanks for your help!!!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Pilo and @Lodah are somewhere in NSW and I think @MagpieDragon and flock may be also. I have no idea how close to you they are or if they are even interested in bird sitting but those are two Aussies I can think of right now :)

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Would love to if I could, but I'm on the OTHER side of Aus :)

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
Do you have pet sitters where you are? I pay for a sitter to come to my home twice a day. I prepare fresh food in advance. Pampa has the swing out bowls and a tray to pull out to change the paper at the bottom of the cage so the pet sitter doesn’t get bit. I do request they spend a little bit of time visiting with Pampa. They turn the tv on in the morning and off in the evening. By day two or three Pampa warms up to them and the pet sitter was able to let him spend some time out of his cage.

Good luck.

Koby-GCC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordii
Thank you so much everyone! You guys are all so lovely and helpful! Gives me so much hope for mine and Koby's birdie future!
:gcc1:
I appreciate it more than you know

Koby-GCC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordii
Do you have pet sitters where you are? I pay for a sitter to come to my home twice a day. I prepare fresh food in advance. Pampa has the swing out bowls and a tray to pull out to change the paper at the bottom of the cage so the pet sitter doesn’t get bit. I do request they spend a little bit of time visiting with Pampa. They turn the tv on in the morning and off in the evening. By day two or three Pampa warms up to them and the pet sitter was able to let him spend some time out of his cage.

Good luck.

I've had a look online and there seems to be some people that pet sit. I may have to have more of a look into it. Good to know you have success with it!
I leave the TV and/or radio on too - our babies are so spoilt :p

Thanks for the advice!

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
You are welcome.
I have a friend that does pet sitting so she comes. When she was out of town I hired a college student I found online. It was scary because i did not know her and had to depend on my gut instinct. She actually slept at my house and kept my dogs too. It turned out awesome and she did a good job.

Koby-GCC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordii
You are welcome.
I have a friend that does pet sitting so she comes. When she was out of town I hired a college student I found online. It was scary because i did not know her and had to depend on my gut instinct. She actually slept at my house and kept my dogs too. It turned out awesome and she did a good job.

Exactly what I'm afraid of. Good to know it worked out well for you though!!!