• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Blood in eye

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m so glad it will heal and he´s acting himself again! :bliss:

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great news :).

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that Elvis's eye was injured. It's good that he seems to be feeling better and hope the eye will be fully healed soon.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Elvis hope you feel better super soon

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Poor little guy. Hope the vet apologized for his staff.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Poor little guy. Hope the vet apologized for his staff.
I have heard nothing from the vet's office..... I had to take him to a different emergency vet because they were non responsive.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have heard nothing from the vet's office..... I had to take him to a different emergency vet because they were non responsive.
Despicable. Sad. Pathetic.

We all know stuff happens but ignoring an accident is disgusting.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Now that you are back from the vet and have gotten some reassurance from him - I'll tell you Hank's story so you can be aware. Jas per was always mean to Hank and he loooooved her so much that he would never straighten her out. She banged him pretty hard in the eye and it took about three months to disappear and he ended up with a cataract so bad that he was virtually blind in that eye.

Just be aware that if he starts looking at you with just one eye and turns his head to see something, it could be a cataract.

Poor little Elvis he's always such a happy go lucky guy.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Now that you are back from the vet and have gotten some reassurance from him - I'll tell you Hank's story so you can be aware. Jas per was always mean to Hank and he loooooved her so much that he would never straighten her out. She banged him pretty hard in the eye and it took about three months to disappear and he ended up with a cataract so bad that he was virtually blind in that eye.

Just be aware that if he starts looking at you with just one eye and turns his head to see something, it could be a cataract.

Poor little Elvis he's always such a happy go lucky guy.
The new vet told me Elvis does have a cataract. My other vet never told me that. Do you think it could have formed that fast or was missed before? The new vet suspects Elvis is older than I thought. I always assumed he was around 30. She thinks he may be in his 40s.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It is pretty common that parrots form cataracts from about the 20s on. I doubt that it could have been missed, but that the vet just expected it and didn't say anything. There is nothing you can do about cataracts (except some very expensive and really not too successful surgery). Jasper developed cataracts in her early twenties. They weren't as bad as Hanks from her banging him.

You will just need to watch and make sure he sees or hears you coming and that goes especially on his cataract side. For Hank I constantly talked to him so he knew exactly where I was. Kitty (35) also has cataracts in both eyes.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It is pretty common that parrots form cataracts from about the 20s on. I doubt that it could have been missed, but that the vet just expected it and didn't say anything. There is nothing you can do about cataracts (except some very expensive and really not too successful surgery). Jasper developed cataracts in her early twenties. They weren't as bad as Hanks from her banging him.

You will just need to watch and make sure he sees or hears you coming and that goes especially on his cataract side. For Hank I constantly talked to him so he knew exactly where I was. Kitty (35) also has cataracts in both eyes.
Thank you!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So, how about my emergency vet just called to see how Elvis was doing. :heart: (And it's Sunday!) And my regular vet office still hasn't returned my calls. Or I guess I should say former regular vet office. So disappointed in them.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
So, how about my emergency vet just called to see how Elvis was doing. :heart: (And it's Sunday!) And my regular vet office still hasn't returned my calls. Or I guess I should say former regular vet office. So disappointed in them.
That’s very caring of the new vet! How’s Elvis this morning? :xflove:

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Wow, very telling that the original vet won't even return your calls. I'm glad to hear your emergency vet seems so caring.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That’s very caring of the new vet! How’s Elvis this morning? :xflove:
He's doing well, thanks. The blood isn't visible in the actual eye anymore. I told the vet just now that I haven't checked under his eye lid to see if there's still blood under the eye but might look tonight before bed. He's back to being active, crazy Elvis. He seemed to still be favoring his other eye yesterday but I haven't noticed him doing it today. But I'll check more later.

Yesterday was a bit trying because he now thinks he should have my attention 100% of the time, after 2 days of constant attention. (And the tiels just look at me like- Really? What else can the attention monster do to get even more attention.) But I'd rather have a crazy Elvis than a sad Elvis. That was just heartbreaking.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
What an awesome update! Thank you and very glad he’s back to being his crazy self again! :bliss: