• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Blood in eye

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I never thought I'd be posting here. :sad5: I will start by saying I already have two calls into my vet and I'm prepared to go to another if I don't hear back soon. Elvis went to the vet yesterday to get his nails done. I don't normally have his beak done but it was looking pretty rough. They still are doing drop off visits. I told the vet tech to tell the vet to only do Elvis's beak if he thought he needed it- not just to make it look pretty. When they brought Elvis out he was very subdued. I thought he was just upset that they did his beak. When I got him home he didn't even want to get out of his carrier. So not Elvis. I coaxed him out and he just sat on my lap for 2 hours He wouldn't play, fly or eat. Again, I just thought he was upset because of his beak. This morning, he flew to the kitchen but had trouble landing. I thought okay, his toes are sore. He half heartedly tried to play but was having issues. He ended up just climbing on my lap. That's when I saw that he has blood in his eye. Like under the cornea and when he moves his eye kinda down below the eye. I'm sick. Literally sick. I think he's having trouble seeing. I'm trying not to panic. I'm trying to let him rest in his cage. And he finally ate a couple cashews. (I decided he can eat cashews all day if he wants.) I'm hoping the vet is going to call me over lunch. I know they're very busy. But clearly, when they restrained him they hurt his eye. I don't know if it hurts or if there's anything to be done. I love my vet and have never had any issues before. So I don't want to cast them in a bad light but I am pretty sure that when they restrained him the vet tech must have pressed down on his eye. I feel horrible that I had his beak done and feel horrible that I wasn't there with him. He's not acting like himself but is a little perkier today. Has anyone experienced this before? Is there anything to be done?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Vet asking for a picture if possible

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, I’m so sorry Elvis got injured, and I hope he’s back to his normal self soon! It must be awful to see him like this. Sending healing thought his way.
:sadhug2:
Hang in there.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I just tried. It's not showing up in the picture at all. I need to get him in direct light and he's not cooperating. :(

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I just tried. It's not showing up in the picture at all. I need to get him in direct light and he's not cooperating. :(
No worries about the picture. Did you see her advice above?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh my goodness. Thank you so much for doing this. I'm in tears, I'm so grateful. I did get an appointment with an emergency vet at 5:00 today. I don't have metcalm but maybe the vet can prescribe. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Oh my goodness. Thank you so much for doing this. I'm in tears, I'm so grateful. I did get an appointment with an emergency vet at 5:00 today. I don't have metcalm but maybe the vet can prescribe. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Children’s Motrin solution you can get over the counter. I hope he’s A-ok very soon. :heart: :heart:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m very sorry this is happening Michelle :( I hope all goes smoothly at the vet. Poor Elvis. Sending big hugs, will keep you both in my thoughts :hug9:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So sorry. Prayers up for him.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Oh gosh I hope he will be okay :heart:

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww. Sounds like they held him too tight & pressed on his eye. I hope he will be OK.

I was watching the Westminster dog show the other night & saw a handler stick his thumb right in a dogs eye while hold it still for the judge. Shessh!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Be well young man.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Poor Elvis :(

I hope it heals up fast and he’s not in too much discomfort. Poor sweetie pie.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the support. We're back from the vet. He was so good. He has a hematoma. Vet said he will be ok and it just has to heal. He's acting more like himself. Vet said his eye might turn black and blue tomorrow.