• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 BLEEDING NAIL

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Corn starch

animalover

Jogging around the block
Don’t apply too much pressure but a firm pinch of the toe to apply a heap of powder. Hold it for a few minutes to help it stop.
he won't let me hold it without him wriggling out, he's so tired now but he still has appetite

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Plain white flour if that’s all you have

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
How are you getting on with the flour? Have you managed to stop the bleed?

animalover

Jogging around the block
How are you getting on with the flour? Have you managed to stop the bleed?
yeah I stopped the bleeding, but I just checked his weight again since yesterday, he lost 4ml not including the amount he lost yesterday which im guessing is 1.5 so, I should start freaking out right?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Don´t freak out. Glad you got the bleed stopped. I would still go in for a vet visit once your mum wakes up.

he lost 4ml not including the amount he lost yesterday which im guessing is 1.5
Not sure how you worked that out unless you weighed poops etc too?

animalover

Jogging around the block
Don´t freak out. Glad you got the bleed stopped. I would still go in for a vet visit once your mum wakes up.
okay, but he weighed 80 before all this happened, and now hes down to 74, how much blood would he have had already before all this? no I didnt count the poops

Last edited:

animalover

Jogging around the block

Not sure how you worked that out unless you weighed poops etc too?
can I make a collar until I can get him to the vet?? I have paper, and thick paper too

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Collars are stressful for birds to wear, and need to be fitted properly. Is he bothering his nail at all by picking it and restarting bleeding? If he's not, don't put a collar on him.

animalover

Jogging around the block
Collars are stressful for birds to wear, and need to be fitted properly. Is he bothering his nail at all by picking it and restarting bleeding? If he's not, don't put a collar on him.
he is picking at it every second, thats why I want to Make the collar

animalover

Jogging around the block
update! no vets have avian doctors at this time, but they have them tomorrow, for now Im just going to go to the pet store, is the styptic powder really worth it tho? its 10 bucks for 14 grams, does flour work the same? and lastly, anythrands, ing I can get from the store that would help him? like idk a rope perch? wouldn't that be softer or could his nail potentially get stuck in-between the strands. and this is a thing ive been wondering about for a while now can I use paper bedding to put on the base of his cage so its softer for him to land on? ive got a hamster so ive got plenty of bedding.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would go to any small animal vet. A bird's nail is much like any other nail. It's more important to get the bleeding under control.

I wouldn't bother with manuka honey. It's not really an injury with tissue damage.

If you're concerned about giving him a soft surface, wrap Vet Wrap round his perches. It's a special kind of bandage that sticks to itself so you don't need any kind of glue or fastenings. Your bird's nails are less likely to get caught in it.

It would be worried about hamster paper bedding being dusty. I use sheets of newspaper offcuts. You can buy them from online packaging shops. Otherwise, newspaper is fine.

animalover

Jogging around the block
I would go to any small animal vet. A bird's nail is much like any other nail. It's more important to get the bleeding under control.

I wouldn't bother with manuka honey. It's not really an injury with tissue damage.

If you're concerned about giving him a soft surface, wrap Vet Wrap round his perches. It's a special kind of bandage that sticks to itself so you don't need any kind of glue or fastenings. Your bird's nails are less likely to get caught in it.

It would be worried about hamster paper bedding being dusty. I use sheets of newspaper offcuts. You can buy them from online packaging shops. Otherwise, newspaper is fine.
unfortunately its not possible :( small animal vets are usually bad in my city, trust me ive been to 4 of them and one of them who also specializes in birds killed my hamster, and thats the only one open at this time, I tried finding vet wrap at the store im going, but couldn't find it except for amazon, do you think pharmacies would have them? Nexcare Ath Wrap 3X180In 12'S would these work? and is there anything I could wrap around his foot to prevent him from biting it, ik he would be able to get it off but its gonna slow him down at least. also id just like to clarify, the reason I mentioned hamster bedding is because hamsters can't handle dust just like birds, and most of the brands dont have any dust, but yeah, the problem is if I put anything soft on the bottom he ends up pooping on it so I have to wash it. and no one reads newspapers in our house lol.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
and is there anything I could wrap around his foot to prevent him from biting it,
The problem with that is if he knocks it and it bleeds, you may not notice. Stick to monitoring him closely and using the flour.
Add some foraging opportunities and a toy to a hospital cage for now.

animalover

Jogging around the block
The problem with that is if he knocks it and it bleeds, you may not notice. Stick to monitoring him closely and using the flour.
Add some foraging opportunities and a toy to a hospital cage for now.
okay, I will, but I mentioned that because im afraid he would wake up at night and start picking on it, and by morning it would've been too late, and I cant stay up all night! obviously. idk im just really worried about this, ive lost 2 of my pets last week and im afraid it would happen all over again :(

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would get the styptic powder and apply that. The key thing is to stop the bleeding. If it stops bleeding and doesn't start up again, you may not even need a vet.

Don't put any dressing on his feet. If your parrot is anything like mine, that will just encourage him to chew off the dressing and bother his feet. Really you want him to ignore it as much as possible to give the quick (the blood vessel in the nail) a chance to clot. Perhaps you could set him up with a toy he particularly likes or some foraging to distract him. As @Zara says, if you have a carrier or smaller cage, you can use this as a hospital cage to limit his movement.

The sports wrap you linked to seems like VetWrap to me :)

animalover

Jogging around the block
I would get the styptic powder and apply that. The key thing is to stop the bleeding. If it stops bleeding and doesn't start up again, you may not even need a vet.

Don't put any dressing on his feet. If your parrot is anything like mine, that will just encourage him to chew off the dressing and bother his feet. Really you want him to ignore it as much as possible to give the quick (the blood vessel in the nail) a chance to clot. Perhaps you could set him up with a toy he particularly likes or some foraging to distract him. As @Zara says, if you have a carrier or smaller cage, you can use this as a hospital cage to limit his movement.

The sports wrap you linked to seems like VetWrap to me :)
okay thanks! the flour really worked great, its not bleeding anymore, ive been monitoring him for the past 3 hours and he stopped picking at it that much. he doesn't like any of the toys I got for him so im planning to get him more when I go, turns out our better option is to go tomorrow to the store and right after school, if I do that I will be able to go to both the pharmacy and the pet store, but today my mom only said we can go to one and cant go again.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can make some super simple toys out of cardboard, paper cupcake wrappers, clean wooden coffee stirrers, cardboard boxes and so on. I would avoid cardboxes if he's hormonal as it can trigger nesty behaviour, but if he's young and needs a distraction there's nothing better. Put some treats in a clean egg carton and let him destroy it.

Sometimes simple is better :)