• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 BLEEDING NAIL

animalover

Jogging around the block
I woke up 2 hours ago for online school but I didnt go check on my cockatiel, I was too busy and when I finally went, there was blood everywhere, all over the base outside of the cage, it was splattered everywhere! It took me a while to realize since my brother was doing an experiment with food coloring so I thought he might've spilled it, but no his nail is broken too short, idk how he did it, he might've jumped to the base?? idk I took out everything dangerous and we will move him to a smaller cage, just until this stops, he doesn't seem to be acting differently, he was just whistling more than usual, the bleeding already stopped but idk what to do or if he lost too much blood. please help
IMG_0220.jpeg IMG_0224.jpeg IMG_0225.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Do you know how to stop the bleeding if it does start up again?
Has the nail broken off or is there still a bit hanging?

If the bleeding has stopped for now and he is acting ok and normal then I would just limit his activity for a day or two and just make sure he eats and rests well and does nothing to cause the bleeding to start up again.

He may have got the nail caught anywhere but if they are too long then that can make it easier for them to end up in trouble with them- how are the other nails?

animalover

Jogging around the block
Do you know how to stop the bleeding if it does start up again?
Has the nail broken off or is there still a bit hanging?

If the bleeding has stopped for now and he is acting ok and normal then I would just limit his activity for a day or two and just make sure he eats and rests well and does nothing to cause the bleeding to start up again.

He may have got the nail caught anywhere but if they are too long then that can make it easier for them to end up in trouble with them- how are the other nails?
yes I know how to stop the bleeding, no its not hanging completely broken, I cant tell if his nails are too long but I dont think so, when he goes on my finger I cant feel any scratching like my conure, the other nails are good no bleeding, but the blood is all over him his feathers tail and wings, but I think the nails are long enough to be able to break.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
All good if the bleeding has stopped and you know how to stop it if need be.

If you can post a pic of your bird standing on a flat surface like a table then someone will tell you if they are too long and need a trim but I am guessing it was just a freak incident and he got it caught somewhere.

Give it a few days to heal and then give him a shower to wash the blood off his feathers, you do not want to do it while the clot is still fresh as you do not want to knock the clot out.

animalover

Jogging around the block
All good if the bleeding has stopped and you know how to stop it if need be.

If you can post a pic of your bird standing on a flat surface like a table then someone will tell you if they are too long and need a trim but I am guessing it was just a freak incident and he got it caught somewhere.

Give it a few days to heal and then give him a shower to wash the blood off his feathers, you do not want to do it while the clot is still fresh as you do not want to knock the clot out.
okay ill try getting the pic, thanks

animalover

Jogging around the block
B63AE4FF-5B03-445F-B3B4-74D30B1B6383.jpeg Here D94EB8F2-412A-4E79-8E60-5E158F7A843D.jpeg
he’s lost a ton of blood so I’m guessing this was overnight it thickened up

animalover

Jogging around the block
update I put him in my hamsters old playpen, because I left him on top of his cage but he got bored and kept flying to the ground, our other cage is being cleaned so yea, he can’t fly high so he won’t be able to
get out, we are putting stuff to keep him entertained.
027A6675-CEE1-4A75-9AB6-FD84ACF156A9.jpeg
extra: 7E60CD1C-221C-47E4-9AF6-D4165379507B.jpeg
this is my hamster in his playpen, he really knows how to make a mess lol.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I cant tell if his nails are too long
I think this post with pictures will help;

animalover

Jogging around the block
I tried finding some of these perches, and I did but they are from websites who have 30$ shipping for each item, all the filing perches I could find were either flat, or sand. would sand work?? if it does what brands do you reccomend

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I tried finding some of these perches, and I did but they are from websites who have 30$ shipping for each item, all the filing perches I could find were either flat, or sand. would sand work?? if it does what brands do you reccomend
I posted the link to a post in that thread showing when birds nails are too long. Did you see it? Sometimes it takes a second for the page to load and go down to the specific post.

animalover

Jogging around the block
I posted the link to a post in that thread showing when birds nails are too long. Did you see it? Sometimes it takes a second for the page to load and go down to the specific post.
yep I saw it, his nails are at an okay length, but I cant say the same for my conure, its so hard to trim it since he has very dark nails, so we dont know how to do it.

also unrelated but my cockatiel shakes his head when someone talks to him, not like up and down, but its so fast and for a sec only, I searched around and found someone with the same problem, but people told him that they might've trained the bird to do this https://www.reddit.com/r/parrots/comments/4bun0y

animalover

Jogging around the block
is this a good septic powder ?? Bioline - Styptic Powder (14g)
its the only one I could find that I can buy today, the bleeding started again, and its so much heavier, I keep replying cornstarch and flour, whatever safe thing I can use, it keeps bleeding and bleeding, I have to reapply every minute, and hes tires and wants to sleep, is that bad?? hes sleeping with a foot up so thats good but.
edit can I use vaseline?? I won't let him nibble on his foot, but this is the only last option I have, I wont use it if its not safe but I just wanna know

Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am not familiar with that brand but it does say it is safe for birds so it should be ok to use.

You say he is tired and just wants to sleep..... how much is he wanting to sleep? More than usual?

animalover

Jogging around the block
I am not familiar with that brand but it does say it is safe for birds so it should be ok to use.

You say he is tired and just wants to sleep..... how much is he wanting to sleep? More than usual?
okay thanks, no before it started bleeding again he already wanted to sleep, but I think I kept distracting him thats why he stayed awake?? hes still his bitey usual self when hes not tired, he keeps waking up every minute since my teacher is very loud on the zoom, should I let him rest or keep him awake?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If he needs to sleep and you have previously kept him awake more than is normal for him then I think you need to let him get some rest when he wants it.

I was concerned that maybe the injury and loss of blood was causing more issues (such as lethargy) when you said he is tired and just wants to sleep.

animalover

Jogging around the block
If he needs to sleep and you have previously kept him awake more than is normal for him then I think you need to let him get some rest when he wants it.

I was concerned that maybe the injury and loss of blood was causing more issues (such as lethargy) when you said he is tired and just wants to sleep.
okay, yeah I thought he was lethargic at first since he didnt drink any water even when I offered it to him, but he just didnt know how to drink out of any water bowl other than the one thats in his cage, so I gave him that, I think it cracked from the top,

animalover

Jogging around the block

please helpppp its gotten soo much worseeee, I dont know how much blood he lostttt, its sooo muchhh, he picked at it when I left him to sleep, I stopped it again but it just keeps going.
tempImageE1NBmo.jpg tempImage2YkyLJ.jpg

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You need to stop the bleeding with the powder and slight pressure.

You probably should also be seeing a vet so I would be trying to get an appointment now if I were you.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Don’t apply too much pressure but a firm pinch of the toe to apply a heap of powder. Hold it for a few minutes to help it stop.

animalover

Jogging around the block
You need to stop the bleeding with the powder and slight pressure.

You probably should also be seeing a vet so I would be trying to get an appointment now if I were you.
im currently trying to find a vet but my mom is sleeping and I have no one to take me, I still didnt get the powder she said shell take me after she wakes up, so I'm guessing that's in 2 hours