• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Black faced mutation

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! I am not sure that there are currently active members who live in Ireland, but there are quite a few who live in Europe and may be able to help you. Best of luck in your search.

Jayson

Moving in
Real Name
Jayson ryan
Thank you I appreciate it, I look forward to seeing some answers

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome!

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
To be honest I have only heard stories of this mutation. I have never heard of anyone irl who has one. If you do manage to find anyone who has them I would love a pic.
If you search YouTube there’s a fairly recent video about someone breeding them somewhere

Jayson

Moving in
Real Name
Jayson ryan
Lori d pert, they only come around once In a while as far as I can tell and I would like to be the main source or main breeder for them here im Ireland so I am determined to get my hands on them check this video out
there's a guy in the Netherlands who has managed to buy the black gene budgies from the guy who originally bred them in the 1990s

Jayson

Moving in
Real Name
Jayson ryan
Cheers ripshod have you bought from this site?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
They’re quite interesting to look at but I still much prefer the original budgies- selective breeding will never beat what nature provided as far as I am concerned.

Good luck on your search and please do keep us updated :)

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
They’re quite interesting to look at but I still much prefer the original budgies- selective breeding will never beat what nature provided as far as I am concerned.
I prefer coloured budgies of all kinds, but totally understand this point of view, because that's how I feel about parrotlets. I don't understand the unpopularity of the original green - they're the most glorious looking, IMO!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I prefer coloured budgies of all kinds, but totally understand this point of view, because that's how I feel about parrotlets. I don't understand the unpopularity of the original green - they're the most glorious looking, IMO!
There are many different species of parrotlet, accounting for most of the different colours we see. I know mutations and crossbreeding happens but please don't single out one species as the 'only' true parrotlet.

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I didn't mean to, but I believe most of the parrotlets common in captivity are Pacific Parrotlets. Perhaps I'm wrong. I've not heard of anyone on AA who owns a different species, though the rescue near me has a pair of spectacled parrotlets up for adoption. Pacifics are the species I was referring to where everyone's after a mutation, but I prefer the original green.

Are you saying that to get the other colours they're hybridizing them or that they're natural & are just other species? I thought the blues & pieds were Pacific colour mutations.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
I agree with this. I love my colourful flock and I actually want a wild coloured one too.

Karearea

Meeting neighbors
Just beware of scams! Many sites will use images of anthracite or blackface budgies to draw people in, these guys are exceptionally rare. They most likely won't be bred to be pets either. :eek: