• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lady Hampton

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Crystal
My black capped conure Wall-E got her upper beak broken off on June 8th. She was given antibiotics for 15 days and pain medication for 7. The first 2 weeks she could only eat puréed food or baby food. She was also given a special formula for injured birds. She has slowly been able to eat soft fruits and veggies, shell less seeds, and pellets soaked in baby food to soften them. The 3 pictures are as follows. Picture 1 Day 0. The day it happened. Picture 2 is last week when it started peeling. Picture 3 is today. It peeled more and is a little read. The vet said as long as there isn’t pus and she is eating and being normal she’s fine. We have a follow up appointment on the 13th of this mont, so a week and a half. The vet gave her a more than 50% chance of her beak growing back. I think it’s already grown some in the 24 days since it happened. She is starting to preen herself and play with toys. We have a second female bird, Pickle a gcc, that has been nothing but kind and help her preen and cuddle her. 4th picture is Wall-E and Pickle just because they’re cute!
5455EC5E-ADA7-48A9-9A4D-53A566745D62.jpeg 70BB96F4-B4BD-4B6A-9D00-3A58CB43B368.jpeg 9721EF49-546C-4A34-973A-ECBCA5539384.jpeg
8B2B1F4F-FD2C-46F4-AB65-5349689D9B20.jpeg

Lady Hampton

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Crystal
Oh my goodness, how did that happen? I am glad to see that there is some nice new growth there. I hope your baby heals and the beak will grow back.
Both birds were actually on top of the door when my puppy slammed it while playing. She seems to be healing pretty good and getting back to her normal mean self. She’s a biter but only bites me and not my husband.

Lady Hampton

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Crystal
So the other bird helped the injured one? How sweet is that. Ld the beak is forming new tissue.
Yeah, my Pickle is the sweet one and helps Wall-E my injured baby a lot. We couldn’t keep them apart if we tried. That first day the vet told us to keep them separated because other birds tend to pick on injured birds but not Pickle. She wanted to be near Wall-E and cuddle. We got very lucky. There is definitely new growth. I just hope it continues to grow.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Ohhh that looks awfully sore. The poor little thing, how scary for you.
Glad to see there’s new growth and even happier to hear her friend is looking after her :heart:

Lady Hampton

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Crystal
Ohhh that looks awfully sore. The poor little thing, how scary for you.
Glad to see there’s new growth and even happier to hear her friend is looking after her :heart:
The redness is new. Her beak just pealed the rest of the way and that’s what was underneath. It looks like it was a scab that came off. She’s eating and playing normally so I don’t think it bothers her. I tried looking at it this morning but she had food all over it.

It was terrifying and I still worry about her even though she’s doing fine.

My Pickle is such a good sister to her. It’s amazing the bond they have and had since day 1. Wall-E has a whole back story that I can post about if anyone wants to hear it.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
All I can say is OUCH! I'm so glad she's healing and I hope that she's back to her regular "mean" self ASAP!

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Aww poor thing! What sweet friends they are! :heart::heart:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Poor girl! That looks so painful!

We have a second female bird, Pickle a gcc, that has been nothing but kind and help her preen and cuddle her.
This is why I love birds ❤
They don´t think ¨oh you´re different¨, ¨oh you look weird!¨, ¨oh, you´ve changed¨.. They are just so full of love ❤

Both birds were actually on top of the door when my puppy slammed it while playing.
It may be worth putting the dog out of the room, or in the room sat with you and closing the door. You´re very lucky you didn´t lose one of your birds.
I either close my doors or have them all fully opened and wedged so that the dog doesn´t bang into them.

I hope your girls beak regrows ❤

Lady Hampton

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Crystal
Please do tell! Also, how is she?:fairy2::fairy2:
She’s is doing really well. There is noticeable growth going on now!! She had a follow up appointment This coming Saturday.

Wall-E’s back story:

I seen her at the pet store for several months with no one wanting her. One day she was gone but the following week she was brought back. The people who brought her back said she was a problem and that she would freak out over their young children. I’m assuming young children screaming and banging on the cage and a barking dog. She was completely traumatized. She did not like people at all. She was constantly biting. The pet store did not want to sell her to anyone unless they knew the person could handle her. The people who work at the store know how me and my husband are with our other bird so they asked if we would take her. They even discounted her sooo much because of her issues. She was high anxiety and a biter but we decided that she needed a home that will take the time to get to know her and let her do things in her own time. We had taken her to the vet within a week of bringing her home and had gotten anxiety medication for her. We NEVER used it! She didn’t need it. She just needed the unconditional love and time. She continues to be a biter. She bites me or tries to a lot but not my husband. I am the one that takes care of my birds and even though she bites me it has never crossed my mind to get rid of her like the people who originally bought her. She lands on my arms and head just fine without biting. Once she sees my fingers though it’s game on and I have plenty of scares from her. Sometimes she bites other parts of me like my cheeks just because she feels like it. Currently without her beak she still tries to bite but not as often and of course it doesn’t hurt at the moment but since her beak is growing that won’t be for long!

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about Wall-E. Good that she is doing well and that you see the beak starting to grow back! Great that you took her into your home where she can be loved!

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Although what happened to Wall-E is awful, maybe this recovery time with you, your husband, and Pickles will help her build her trust. My Gussy has a similar back story. He still nips, and occasionally it’s too hard and I have to call him out, but he’s so much better than when we got him. I’m relieved to hear her beak is growing!:swoon: May she recover swiftly :smileflower:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sorry to hear of her injury, but it looks like she's doing great!!! Hard to say how her beak will be in 6 months to a year or so!

If you haven't already, you may also want to look into feeding sprouts! :)

Lady Hampton

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Crystal
Although what happened to Wall-E is awful, maybe this recovery time with you, your husband, and Pickles will help her build her trust. My Gussy has a similar back story. He still nips, and occasionally it’s too hard and I have to call him out, but he’s so much better than when we got him. I’m relieved to hear her beak is growing!:swoon: May she recover swiftly :smileflower:
It’s been a month since it happened and she’s not trying to bite me as much but she definitely still tries! She seems more loving towards me though and wants to be on me all the time now. When before she always wanted my husband. Thank you!

Lady Hampton

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Crystal
Sorry to hear of her injury, but it looks like she's doing great!!! Hard to say how her beak will be in 6 months to a year or so!

If you haven't already, you may also want to look into feeding sprouts! :)
Her beak is already coming in great! Now you can really see it coming out around the edges. I will post a picture of it after the vet sees her Saturday and cleans it. I actually just ordered from @Unapproved Vendor's Dailies today and my order has some sprouts in it!

Wayley's Dailies

Hit the Road
Real Name
Marsha
Her beak is already coming in great! Now you can really see it coming out around the edges. I will post a picture of it after the vet sees her Saturday and cleans it. I actually just ordered from @Unapproved Vendor's Dailies today and my order has some sprouts in it!
Injured or sick/recovering babies always take priority so I will get your order out asap. My pre-apologies to anyone with an order that I pass in the process. Please know that if it were your bird in need, the same consideration would be provided.

Lady Hampton

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Crystal
Injured or sick/recovering babies always take priority so I will get your order out asap. My pre-apologies to anyone with an order that I pass in the process. Please know that if it were your bird in need, the same consideration would be provided.
Aww thank you so much!! I will be ordering some more things as soon as we see the vet Saturday so I know more of what she needs. I will also leave you an awesome review and post to my Instagram!