• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bismo the Senegal

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Bismo is a 7 year old Senegal who survived a house fire a few days ago. He's still on steam treatments and meds, but appears well, and I'm no longer acutely afraid for his life, though I can't forget he has been through major trauma the last few days. I transported him and 6 others to an emergency vet where a rescue had them cared for, and is caring for them in her home until the owner is ready to have them back. But Bismo seemed very interested in Ellen, and when I sent the owner a picture, he offered him to us! I told him that Bismo can stay, but not to make a final decision until his house is fixed, though it's pretty clear that Bismo is fitting in well! He's tame and kind and lovely.
I did have a body language question though. Sometimes, he crouches down, almost like he's laying down and puts his shoulders up and flaps, almost like he is going to take off flying. But he doesn't, he just gets low and flaps. He did it in his cage yesterday, and I figured he wanted out to fly. But then while he was out today, he did it again. Of course he stopped when I tried to get a video. Any thoughts?
Now... Pictures!! View attachment 323725 View attachment 323726 View attachment 323727 View attachment 323728
What a cutie are you sure he is not a she?

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Bismo is a tiny, squishy potato with wings. She's been nicknamed Potato Bird :lol:
I've discovered that she knows how to play peek a boo, and likes to bob her head up and down to music. Her body language is unlike any of our other birds. She twitches her wings tight and hard against her body, like a flick. She opens and closes her mouth like she wants to talk or give kisses, and makes the sweetest little hooting noises. She pins her eyes while doing the beak thing, but doesn't seem to be aggressive. She also purrs when I'm petting her head. It doesn't appear that she and Tootie are going to get along well, but we've been working around it pretty well. She's so happy to perch on us, and isn't nearly as flighty as Tikki is. Right now, she's watching TV with me while baby Natalie sleeps in my lap. :cloud9:

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Also, she's got a vet appointment on the 30th. I know she's not officially forever ours, but I'm debating cutting off the leg band. I would just be devestated if she got it caught on something and got hurt, especially if she was to go back to her owner. Is this something they are normally sedated for?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I don't think it's necessary for them to be sedated to remove a leg band. I would wait though until she is officially yours or mention it to the owners prior to the vet appointment just to make sure they have no objections in case they decide to take her back. All of my birds are banded and have been 13 years. Just make sure there isn't anything in the cage they can get it caught on. I've always been leery of the woven grass mats and vine balls... I look at those things as a leg trap.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
I just spoke with the owner, Bismo is ours! He's been trying to find a home for her because she's too small. She lost all but two toes when a macaw opened the Goffin's cage and the Goffin chewed up her feet. :( We bought her a higher cage yesterday, so now she's living the good life! Vet check is Monday to recheck after the fire.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Well even though you met Bismo through a less than ideal situation I am very pleased you have this little bird in your heart and home.

:congrats5: On your new addition!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
The flapping of wing my house its called 'revving the engine'. Sweet Pea did it all the time, Bebe does it some but only if he trying to freak mama out lol.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Beasley