• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bismo the Senegal

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
Bismo is a 7 year old Senegal who survived a house fire a few days ago. He's still on steam treatments and meds, but appears well, and I'm no longer acutely afraid for his life, though I can't forget he has been through major trauma the last few days. I transported him and 6 others to an emergency vet where a rescue had them cared for, and is caring for them in her home until the owner is ready to have them back. But Bismo seemed very interested in Ellen, and when I sent the owner a picture, he offered him to us! I told him that Bismo can stay, but not to make a final decision until his house is fixed, though it's pretty clear that Bismo is fitting in well! He's tame and kind and lovely.
I did have a body language question though. Sometimes, he crouches down, almost like he's laying down and puts his shoulders up and flaps, almost like he is going to take off flying. But he doesn't, he just gets low and flaps. He did it in his cage yesterday, and I figured he wanted out to fly. But then while he was out today, he did it again. Of course he stopped when I tried to get a video. Any thoughts?
Now... Pictures!! IMG_20191221_185515.jpg IMG_20191221_184856.jpg IMG_20191221_180237.jpg IMG_20191221_184554.jpg

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Watching this as Monaco has been doing this all week. We've turned it into a game since she can't fly. If nothing else, it's good exercise, right?

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is gorgeous, I love him! :heart:

Does he cling to his perch and flap kinda madly or just a few random flaps?

Mabel does this every now and then, where she flaps her wings madly, sometimes so hard she takes off. Most stuff I read about it said she was just exercising her wings. She is a tiel though, so it would be interesting to hear from Senegal owners.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Oooohhh, look at bismo!! He's taken right to you. Love it!!
reminds me of Birdell, and Theia. The Sennys I had. He's looking good too! Looks like he survived that ordeal.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Bismo is a beautiful Sennie. It could be he is just exercising his wings or he wants to fly but just isn't sure.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Awe how gorgeous is he! Little love :xflove:

My cockatoo did something similar to what you described when she was nervous. I don't have experience with Senegals yet :)

Have a nice time with Bismo! I think it is smart that you told them to wait and see. Those poor people went through so much these past few days. They say not to make big changes after a traumatic life event. If he does stay with you, the more the merrier! :D He is such a doll!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just got caught up with this whole thing! Oh my gosh, what a story. Your beautiful flock is growing! Great pic.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
He is gorgeous, I love him! :heart:

Does he cling to his perch and flap kinda madly or just a few random flaps?

Mabel does this every now and then, where she flaps her wings madly, sometimes so hard she takes off. Most stuff I read about it said she was just exercising her wings. She is a tiel though, so it would be interesting to hear from Senegal owners.
It's kind of random, he didn't act frantic. He's actually amazingly calm all the time! Maybe he's just regaining strength after such an ordeal. His lungs might still be healing, maybe it's difficult to fly still, so he's just flapping.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
If he goes back to his owner, there will be plenty of tears! But I would have felt like I was taking advantage of him if I accepted his offer to keep him right away. This is why we decided not to actively seek out any more birds, they seem to find us anyways haha

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
If he goes back to his owner, there will be plenty of tears! But I would have felt like I was taking advantage of him if I accepted his offer to keep him right away. This is why we decided not to actively seek out any more birds, they seem to find us anyways haha
They really do seem to find you! If it’s meant to be, it will happen. I’m reallllly hoping it’s meant to be! We don’t have enough beautiful Senegal members on here;)

KiwiandLemony

Walking the driveway
I’m no expert and agree that its probably just exercise and stretching. It might also be him trying to fly and that he was clipped at one point and now just doesn’t have the confidence to fly, But still tries which is what you see now.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Bismo is a 7 year old Senegal who survived a house fire a few days ago. He's still on steam treatments and meds, but appears well, and I'm no longer acutely afraid for his life, though I can't forget he has been through major trauma the last few days. I transported him and 6 others to an emergency vet where a rescue had them cared for, and is caring for them in her home until the owner is ready to have them back. But Bismo seemed very interested in Ellen, and when I sent the owner a picture, he offered him to us! I told him that Bismo can stay, but not to make a final decision until his house is fixed, though it's pretty clear that Bismo is fitting in well! He's tame and kind and lovely.
I did have a body language question though. Sometimes, he crouches down, almost like he's laying down and puts his shoulders up and flaps, almost like he is going to take off flying. But he doesn't, he just gets low and flaps. He did it in his cage yesterday, and I figured he wanted out to fly. But then while he was out today, he did it again. Of course he stopped when I tried to get a video. Any thoughts?
Now... Pictures!! View attachment 323725 View attachment 323726 View attachment 323727 View attachment 323728

You might ask the owner when you have a chance if they let him have any out of cage time. Maybe not since they had so many larger birds. I think he is testing his ability to fly much like a baby bird but not enough courage yet to take off. It's good exercise for him and I would only worry about what damage was done to his lungs from the smoke. He's going to do what he's going to do as he should, hopefully this will help him grow stronger. My Casey lived his life with his first owner clipped. He couldn't fly even after his flights grew out here for the longest time. He can fly now but only does when he gets spooked. He usually ends up on the side of Ruby's cage but also anywhere random in the crimson room due to his lack of control and length of flight. He chooses not to fly when they are all out because he'd rather stay with Scarlette in her cage ( doors are all open) and try to sneak in some "nookie" when I'm not looking. Hate to rain on his little love parade but no nookies going on here under my watch!

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
You might ask the owner when you have a chance if they let him have any out of cage time. Maybe not since they had so many larger birds. I think he is testing his ability to fly much like a baby bird but not enough courage yet to take off. It's good exercise for him and I would only worry about what damage was done to his lungs from the smoke. He's going to do what he's going to do as he should, hopefully this will help him grow stronger. My Casey lived his life with his first owner clipped. He couldn't fly even after his flights grew out here for the longest time. He can fly now but only does when he gets spooked. He usually ends up on the side of Ruby's cage but also anywhere random in the crimson room due to his lack of control and length of flight. He chooses not to fly when they are all out because he'd rather stay with Scarlette in her cage ( doors are all open) and try to sneak in some "nookie" when I'm not looking. Hate to rain on his little love parade but no nookies going on here under my watch!
He lived in an aviary situation, so he was caged only when his owners were asleep or not home. I'm sure this explains why he only has two toes! Poor thing was the smallest of all his birds, his next smallest was a Galah. I'm beginning to think it's indicative of his lung damage. He is also stopping to nap frequently. I did see him take a lap around the room with Tikki earlier, but other than that, he is happily perched. He rode on my shoulder for well over an hour earlier, never even considering getting off. I hope his life hasn't been cut too short by the fire, but I guess the fact that he's alive at all is a miracle. If he dies 10 years sooner than he would have normally, at least it'll be in our ione surrounded by love, not in a fire!

Dulli

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dave
my Meyers did this, for her it was a begging posture.