• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds breath has a bad smell

Sapph

Moving in
My Congo African Grey is about 9 weeks old and still on formula (I think it may be a girl so I’ll use she) Shes still on formula and I’ve heard that I should start a seed transition at around 12 weeks. When I give her formula I make sure to get the same texture and temperature each time but this morning I noticed her breath smelled bad. Usually it keeps the faint formula smell but today it was different and it was horrible enough to make me face a different way from her. The closest thing that I could compare and describe the smell is pet store betta fish food flakes. Not the fishy smell itself but that strong pungent smell of the food. I always clean any mess of food that gets on her and might drip down onto some feathers and I clean the syringe and spoons and cups I mix it to but the smells never been there. I’ve read about it a bit and it could be a vitamin deficiency but I have been giving her some fruits and vegetables to try and get her used to but maybe its not enough. I made sure to clean her toys and practice perching stick and changed her bedding and I moved her into a different container. It could be that I didnt clean her thoroughly and I’ll do it once it warms up outside a bit so she isnt cold and can air dry a bit. I’m taking her to the vet on the weekend for her first checkup but until then does anyone know what to do or has had a similar experience? I’d also like to note that this isnt my first time handfeeding a bird, I’ve done it many times and raised many birds and I’ve had bad breath from birds but not any different from the smells of the foods they’ve been eating and not this bad but this is my first time raising an African Grey this young.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sounds like a sour crop or crop infection to me but I'm not a handfeeding guru

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
I agree with @Mizzely - probably sour crop/yeast infection. Mix in a few drops of apple cider vinegar in the formula for a few days and it should fix it unless it’s a really bad infection. In which case you will need to go the vet.

I would also agree it’s a little too early to wean. If you want to though, feed her soaked pellets, cooked sweet potatoes, cooked peas, anything that is soft and easy to swallow. Make sure you break the soaked pellets in bits enough to swallow because a baby CAG will attempt to swallow while whatever you put in their mouth. You can also use plain Cheerios to get her used to biting down and grinding. Once again be sure you are keeping a close eye on what makes it in her mouth because she will swallow it whole.

CAGs also need extra nutrition to grow properly. Do abundance weaning (keep offering formula until the CAG rejects it a few days in a row.) Also make sure you feed high performance pellets for the first 1.5-2y. Seed is not good for them, especially sunflower. You couldn’t feed her anything worse. They do need lots of fresh fruit and veggies. Stick to orange/dark green as they need extra Vitamin A and Calcium. Carrots, yams, squash, pumpkin, papaya, cantaloupe etc
Spinach, kale, broccoli, green beans, etc.

Hope it resolves for you.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hi Sapph, Welcome to the forum,

When was the last time the crop was completely empty?

I noticed her breath smelled bad. Usually it keeps the faint formula smell but today it was different and it was horrible enough to make me face a different way from her.
That sounds like a bacterial infection.

If the crop is emptying slow or not fully emptying, a vet visit is in order.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Vet visit is due, sounds like sour crop.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
He @Sapph , How is the Grey doing?

Sapph

Moving in
Hey so this is kind of funny and I’m face palming about it, also sorry for the late reply, I forgot completely that I posted. Somebody in the house was actually prepping to make a soup of seafood and had seafood in the kitchen and that was the source of the smell and the after there were no remnants of seafood, I did not smell it anymore and I think I just had a simple misconception. Even took her outside and away from the seafood to check her breath and it was indeed not coming from her. My mistake.

manuelcalavera

Strolling the yard
Kido's breath is not that "bad" but it smells like fruits which has been out for several hours. Like not decayed but it's mostly fruit but the smell is not that good. It is not that obvious until she puts her mouth under my nose and breaths heavily.
When I'm watching TV, Kido comes and sits on my chest and puts her beak on my mouth/under my nose and plays with my face. That's the only time I can sense the warmth/smell of the breath.

It is not something that I put away my face of it, and it's kinda feels like veggies/fruit. Should I be worried?