• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Bird was attacked by dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
If the bird were mine: I would observe the bird and do an all over exam once she is back to normal, check for any scratches or bruises. If you want to give her something for inflammation, children's pink liquid Motrin in water. Ask the first vet about the children's Motrin.

To ease your mind, here is a link with an avian vet recommending Motrin. Motrin Birds

Again this is what I would do for one of mine if I did not have Celebrex or Metacam.

Gary

QP4CAG

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay
I agree Emily, you should take Cricket in...there the BEST at hiding their illness's and you don't want it to be too late....i sure hope you both are okay

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
I had something similar happen, but with a cat. He did survive but was in a lot of pain and in shock. He didn't have any puncture wounds but we still did antibiotics to be on the safe side. If he is in pain, you may not know it but you don't want him to suffer. I'd take him in and let them prescribe some pain meds. They may also give him some fluids for the shock. :hug8:

There aren't as many germs in a dog's mouth as there is in a cat's mouth, but my SIL was working in a dog's mouth (she's a vet tech) and just scraped her hand across its tooth and got a severe infection from it. Just something else to think about...

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
A birds response is to make like it is OK even under shock...Gary gave you good advice and ALSO so did others about going to the vet...only YOU can decide what to do...personally, I would have the bird (if I discided not to go to the vet) in a 10 gal fish tank and the air temp at least 85-90º with food/water and a soft perch and part of the tank (screen topped) covered and the bird kept quiet for the next 24 hours to watch it....instead of Gadtor aid, I would do Pedilite 50/50 water for drinking to help with the "shock" it is in...keeping the bird quiet helps it regain it strength and get over the shock and out of the way of other birds/animals in the house....so it can relax....
YOU do what you think is best for you/bird....we are here to support you and give you ideas...also cayenne pepper on its food is another pain releiver BUT take more time than what Gary suggested...do you know what your bird weighs? Please let us know how he is doing and YOU also...staying clam is your biggest part in all of this now! This will help your bird settle down...

abbydp

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tara
I don't have any advice to add but want to let you know I am thinking about you both. My mom lost her african grey this way a few years ago. Same sort of thing - life as it had always been an in a split second everything changed. Don't beat yourself up we all make decisions we would change and hind sight is 20/20. Her situation was very different, in that Jake only lived a few minutes, so I am not telling you to scare you, only to let you know it happens. Your little guy may have been better off because he is little and may have avoided the worst of the tooth pressure. I will have my fingers crossed that things continue to go well. We are all here to support you. :hug8:

HungryBird

Hope everything works out. I worry about this happening all the time with my dog. I take every precaution but at the end of the day it is always a possibility. I also hope you can get him to the vet just to be safe. Give us updates when you get a chance.

deee

Avenue Veteran
I would think of this way. I I didnt take him in and somthing happens.. could i live with myself? I too would have come here to ask for advice
it has to be hard when he eems to be ok tho.

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
Sending prayers !!

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
OH poor baby and poor you! If Cricket were mine, I would have been right to the vet. When I had my little parrotlet Kiwi with me, we made weekly trips to the hospital for taps and chemo treatments. She handled it very well...they are small but they are tough. I could never live with myself if I did not take my little one in and then something happened.

Let us know how Cricket is doing and what you decide. We are here to support you!:hug8:

pst003

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Patricia
Your bird may seem ok, but birds naturally hide any sign of illness or injury. It is a survival instinct they have because many species will attack any member of the flock that is ill or injured in order to protect the health and safety of the flock. I would definately take it to the vet.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Thoughts and Prayers that Cricket will be OK and :hug8::hug8::hug8:For You!

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Vets and thier staff are trained to hold flighted birds during an exam, so the first vets advice is "R" worded.
I wouldnt hesitate to get your friend into that vet IMMEDIATLY. You dont want to risk her dying of internal bleeding, or suffering in pain from a broken bone.

Patty

Meeting neighbors
I'm hoping that Cricket is ok and that what ever you decide is the right decision for you. Lots of love sent your way. Hang in there Cricket.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Just poking in to see if there's any update on Cricket. Many good thoughts your way.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Any updates? Praying that Cricket is ok.

k9nurse

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amanda Oswald
So sorry to hear about this. I worry about my fids and the dogs too. Prayers that Cricket is feeling better.

~Amanda

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I hope Cricket is doing fine, please update when you can. Keeping her in my thoughts. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.