• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Bird choked on Meds a few days ago. Should I be concerned?

Stephstorm

Moving in
Real Name
Stephanie
So I was told by the vet to give more Metacam to my bird. The concentration is low so it ended up being a lot at a time for him. When I gave it to him I mustve gone too fast so he choked on it. He worked through it and seems fine now but I didnt know if I need to be worried if the medicine is still in his lungs? I got a higher concentration bottle which is much easier on him and is a lot smaller of an amount.

He just got diagnosed with atherosclerosis after having a mini stroke so I don’t know if I’m just being overly anxious nervous about him. He isnt wheezing or anything but makes an occasional weird noise (again, could just me being anxious). I just dont know if I should be concerned about it if 2 days later he looks like he can breathe fine.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You will worry so much i suggest you stop in the vets office and ask vet to listen to lung sounds of your bird. Are you giving med by syringe? If so how many ml or cc for the dose? @Hankmacaw

Stephstorm

Moving in
Real Name
Stephanie
You will worry so much i suggest you stop in the vets office and ask vet to listen to lung sounds of your bird. Are you giving med by syringe? If so how many ml or cc for the dose? @Hankmacaw
Yes by syringe. The new concentration is .05ml and the old one was .15ml. It’s a lot easier for him to tolerate

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
He may have aspirated a tiny bit of the medication, but if he is still alive he is working his way through it. My Jasper gets 9 syringes of meds every morning and 6 every night, so the odds are high that she will aspirate at one time or another. My vet showed me a spot on her lungs once and told me that she had aspirated and was in the process of resolving it.

There isn't a thing the vet can do for him, other than watch him and give him an antibiotic if it develops an infection - very unlikely. Just keep a close eye on him for any symptoms of a respiratory infection.

Stephstorm

Moving in
Real Name
Stephanie
He may have aspirated a tiny bit of the medication, but if he is still alive he is working his way through it. My Jasper gets 9 syringes of meds every morning and 6 every night, so the odds are high that she will aspirate at one time or another. My vet showed me a spot on her lungs once and told me that she had aspirated and was in the process of resolving it.

There isn't a thing the vet can do for him, other than watch him and give him an antibiotic if it develops an infection - very unlikely. Just keep a close eye on him for any symptoms of a respiratory infection.
Okay. Thank you very much. That’s what I wanted to know. It was 3 days ago and he’s breathing fine so we’ll just keep an eye on that too :)