• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird cage size: good or bad?

recyclops2

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kiwi the conure
Hey bird owners! Semi new to owning a bird, got my GCC baby Kiwi in November. I currently have this cage!

VIVOHOME 54 Inch Wrought Iron Large Bird Flight Cage with Rollin
https://a.co/d/bUDYqEg

was wondering if this is a good fit for a Green Cheek! When I got him, my parents picked out the cage. I wanted a bigger one, so I’m currently saving up for one! I’m just wondering if this cage would be considered ‘cruel’ for my birdie.
He spends most of his time outside the cage! So he’s very healthy and seems happy.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It is just big enough. I would hesitate to say it is a cruel size.

Ideally the smallest size for a bird should be 1.5 times to 2 times their wingspan in width, and at least as deep.

Green cheeks have an average wingspan of about 15.5 inches. This means a minimum cage size would be at least 23 x 15.5 inches. It looks like you have a 24 x 17, so it just hits the minimums.

One thing I try to remember is that once you add perches and toys, the available space to flap their wings grows smaller. So that's part of why we say "get the biggest cage you can afford". Plus, our situations can change in a moment; while today you can have him out all day, you can't guarantee you'll never have to keep him in his cage for an extended period (for his safety, a sick family member, vacation, etc).

So no, it is not a cruel size, and for your current situation it may be adequate. But it definitely wouldn't be a bad idea to get a bit bigger cage :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Does the cage have storage on the very bottom? Comes in handy.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I use this cage and it’s decently sized ;) Cage