• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird biting siblings and strangers at random

Mia V

Meeting neighbors
I have a Quaker that bites strangers and two particular siblings at random. Not too frequently. One is complaining about it, but when I brought up the fact that with effort the behavior could stop. They started talking about how it's my pet and I should be putting the work into it and how they wanted nothing to do with them. Honestly have no idea what to do about it. He's mostly fine with me, mom, and two other siblings though he bites the other two siblings more than me. He doesn't bite me much unless he's in a mood. My other sibling who he surprise bites was a jerk to him as a young bird, teasing him and stuff. I know I should have socialized him more, but when I first got him, he was even more bitey than now and people didn't seem willing to risk being bitten, so I never brought it up. I just powered through it and did my best to ignore biting and it eventually stopped for me.

He also bites strangers. One person, he flew at and bit hard when he met them (which is unusual cause he doesn't usually do this right off the bat and so hard). I have no idea why he did that. The person didn't even do anything to him. He'll surprise bite this one cousin less viciously. Though this cousin actually likes him somehow, but has to be careful to avoid biting.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How old is your bird?

Mia V

Meeting neighbors
2 years old I think. Maybe almost 2. He's done this since he was real young though, so I don't think age matters.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It sometimes can which is why I asked ;) Attacking people can often by linked to hormones which for a Quaker starts around 18 months.

Some birds are not taught from a young age that biting isn't good behavior, and others learn that their body language is ignored, so biting is a "shortcut" to getting themselves understood.

My guess is your siblings need more training than your bird does. As for the stranger, I would put him in his cage when you are expecting company, for everyone's safety.