• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird bite me

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
So I was moving my birds food and water bowls higher in his cage and as I was screwing it on he came to me and bit me so hard I bled and he moved his beak around while on my skin the bite wasnt bad like a hard pinch but hurts now. What should I do I feel like such a bad owner. :(

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Give Cosmo a little space let him come to you. If you need to edit the arrangement of things in his cage do it when he is flying or playing out of the cage.

Reread this article and remind yourself how to behave around your bird.

clarousel

Give Cosmo a little space let him come to you. If you need to edit the arrangement of things in his cage do it when he is flying or playing out of the cage.

Reread this article and remind yourself how to behave around your bird.

Thanks for sharing, it was a really good read on bird behaviour!

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you want to feel a bit better the bird bite thread might remind you that it happens to most bird owners. I don't know much about ringnecks, but I know a lot of these things comes down to knowing their body language. If you were focusing on fixing something to the cage you can't be blamed for not 100% watching what Cosmo was doing.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Thanks for sharing, it was a really good read on bird behaviour!
No worries, glad you enjoyed it. I think it is easy for us in a caring role to see our companions as children, but really they are more like life partners. They grow up into adult animals. In bird societies it is important to become independent and to have birdie opinions. We need to remind ourselves sometimes, as most of the time birds don't see us as parent long. They see us as mate/friend/flock.

Last edited:

clarousel

No worries, glad you enjoyed it. I think it is easy for us in a caring role to see our companions as children, but really they are more like life partners. They grow up into adult animals. In bird societies it is important to become independent and to have birdie opinions. We need to remind ourselves sometimes, as most of the time birds don't see us as parent long. They see us as mate/friend/flock.
Yes! I'm glad to have read about birds growing up here so I'm mentally and emotionally ready for Preeno's teenage and adult phase. :wacky: He's already displaying some small changes in behaviour (could be other factors) but I'm keeping in mind that that's him growing up and to respect that. As long as I can keep him healthy, safe and happy without annoying him!

Mantis64

Is the risk of infection from a bird bite low. And how long would it take to get I'll.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I have had skin broken many times and never got an infection. If you generally practice good hygiene for you and your bird then the chance of infection is about as high as if you cut yourself in the kitchen while cooking.

Mantis64

I have had skin broken many times and never got an infection. If you generally practice good hygiene for you and your bird then the chance of infection is about as high as if you cut yourself in the kitchen while cooking.
Ok thanks that's good to know helps with my worrisome personality.

Mantis64

I still wonder what caused him to bite me as he was at the back of his cage perched and I was putting the bowl on and he went from that side to come to me and bite me. Is he being cage territorial hes only been in this cage for about a week or so.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
As a keeper of birds, getting bitten kind of comes with the territory, like being stung as a bee keeper. You do not WANT to be stung/bitten, but it is the risk you take when you choose to closely associate with animals that can hurt when threatened.

The key is to practice good husbandry and learn from past mistakes. Sometimes it is unavoidable, like if you are bitten while administering medicine or rescuing a bird from a dangerous situation. Other times it IS avoidable, but require attentiveness and a willingness to adapt your handling techniques to meet the needs of your parrot.

You don't want to get bitten and, if you have a good relationship with your parrot, he probably doesn't want to bite you. But if you leave him no other option ... he will do what he has to do. I would guess that your hand scared him and he wanted it to go away. Many parrots see their cage as a "safe zone" and don't appreciate humans messing around in their area.

If you haven't had the bird long, I would give him some space and work on building trust. Let him feel safe in his cage and try not to provoke more attacks, since biting can become a habitual response if you are not careful.

Last edited:

Mantis64

As a keeper of birds, getting bitten kind of comes with the territory, like being stung as a bee keeper. You do not WANT to be stung/bitten, but it is the risk you take when you choose to closely associate with animals that can hurt when threatened.

The key is to practice good husbandry and learn from past mistakes. Sometimes it is unavoidable, like if you are bitten while administering medicine or rescuing a bird from a dangerous situation. Other times it IS avoidable, but require attentiveness and a willingness to adapt your handling techniques to meet the needs of your parrot.

You don't want to get bitten and, if you have a good relationship with your parrot, he probably doesn't want to bite you. But if you leave him no other option ... he will do what he has to do. I would guess that your hand scared him and he wanted it to go away. Many parrots see their cage as a "safe zone" and don't appreciate humans messing around in their area.

If you haven't had the bird long, I would give him some space and work on building trust. Let him feel safe in his cage and try not to provoke more attacks, since biting can become a habitual response if you are not careful.
I've had him for about 7 months he doesnt mind my fingers when I stroke him but I think he is still scared of the idea of hands.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Is he a Ringneck? I hear that they tend to be very hand-shy. It takes extra work to reach a point where they are able to trust those scary things.

In the future, you will want to be alert to his body language and aware of your own hands when working around your bird. You know he will be paying attention to them!

Mantis64

Is he a Ringneck? I hear that they tend to be very hand-shy. It takes extra work to reach a point where they are able to trust those scary things.

In the future, you will want to be alert to his body language and aware of your own hands when working around your bird. You know he will be paying attention to them!
Yes hes a ringneck

Mantis64

He also tried to bite my head but I felt it and move away.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I still wonder what caused him to bite me as he was at the back of his cage perched and I was putting the bowl on and he went from that side to come to me and bite me. Is he being cage territorial hes only been in this cage for about a week or so.
I would guess it’s territorial behavior, or he just got scared. Kiwi nips me when I refill his food and water :lol:

It doesn’t hurt, just feels like a gentle pinch lol, he’s only drawn blood once, and it was because I wasn’t watching his body language and he was mad at me for putting my hands in the cage (even though he’s very tame). He also nips me if I stick my hands in the cage to move a toy or perch, so I can’t really do any cage cleaning unless he's out flying around.

Jisoo

Sprinting down the street
i would give them their own space. when you are trying to touch their stuff, the can get territorial and bite. i would take my hand away, wait a few minutes and try again. if he still bites, then i would distract him and then take the food bowl away. but also i would show him that you need to touch it to give him food and water. so at a distance he can't bite you, touch his food bowl. he'll get used to all this touch i'll be a normal part of his life and won't bite your fingers. hope this helps!

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Perhaps give him a treat that takes a little while to eat (almonds, other nuts) on the opposite side of the cage so you can easily replace the food and water? You can’t bite when your mouth is full :D

Reactions: tka