• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird bite me

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Cosmo may have felt trapped while you were in the cage, how big is your cage?..... if you had your hands and head in there it sounds like it is either a big cage or you took up a lot of his cage space and made him feel cornered or trapped. I am not telling you this was the reason- I am kinda asking if you think this possibly had anything to with you getting a bite.

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Cosmo may have felt trapped while you were in the cage, how big is your cage?..... if you had your hands and head in there it sounds like it is either a big cage or you took up a lot of his cage space and made him feel cornered or trapped. I am not telling you this was the reason- I am kinda asking if you think this possibly had anything to with you getting a bite.
Oh only my hand was in the cage it's a liberta flight cage he was outside and I put my head down then he grabbed it but not hard it's my hands he hates.

Mantis64

Also my finger that he bite still hurts if I squeeze it that's normal right.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Remember, move consistently, make the experience positive, lower expectations and respect that Cosmo hates hands. Patience is your friend here. You can start by giving Cosmo a treat everytime your hand reaches toward the cage. You can rebuild lost trust, you can help Cosmo overcome his hatred of your hands, but you need to get into Cosmo's perspective.

Mantis64

Remember, move consistently, make the experience positive, lower expectations and respect that Cosmo hates hands. Patience is your friend here. You can start by giving Cosmo a treat everytime your hand reaches toward the cage. You can rebuild lost trust, you can help Cosmo overcome his hatred of your hands, but you need to get into Cosmo's perspective.
Also I know this is off topic but I bought him a foraging wheel the one that he has to spin. What treats should I put in there would almonds be a good idea.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Does Cosmo love almonds? If so, that would be a perfect choice.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Also I know this is off topic but I bought him a foraging wheel the one that he has to spin. What treats should I put in there would almonds be a good idea.
Almonds are a fine idea. You could even add a few things for interest, birds do love variety. Any reward works so long as Cosmo has fun. Even small wooden blocks that he can work out of the toy just to toss on the ground can bring joy to intelligent little Cosmo.

My cockatoo was a master at unscrewing the bolt on this foraging wheel. Don't worry Cosmo is safe with the toy! I just was always amazed at my Goffin's mechanical knowledge. She could unscrew the most technical stuff and was a master at it. In under 30 secs she would have the entire front panel off and would be treating herself to the num nums.

OIP (1).jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Also my finger that he bite still hurts if I squeeze it that's normal right.
Don't squeeze it! All broken healing skin has some discomfort- your nerves tell you something is wrong there so you do not do things to make it worse like squeeze it ;)

Think back to any cut or sore you have had.... it had a feeling of sensitivity till it was all healed up, bird bite is the same. Please do not search for there to be an invisible problem, just keep it clean and use common sense (ie: do not aggrevate the healing wound)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Depending on what part of your hand got bit, it can REALLY hurt. The worst is when the beak sinks down beside the nail bed!
You can show us a picture and we will help you whine. ;D

clarousel

Hope it heals well! Like what Shezbug said, keep it clean and try to air it as much as you can!