• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird beak

linkous101

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Coleman
The bottom left of my haans macaw beak keeps over growing. We buy him wood toys in an effort for him to use them but he never does. Im worried about him and it is very expensive to get him beak trimmed over and over. It costs 200 per trimming. Any help is greatly appreciated

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll tag @Mizzely for you. She used to have a Hahns and currently has a Jardines whos beak can get overgrown.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My Jardine's needs beak trims occasionally; even with chewing tons of wood daily, it's not always worn down by chewing. When it's off to one side like that, it's usually called scissorbeak and occurs due to the bottom beak not rubbing up enough on the top beak to stay shorter. It's sometimes caused by improper handfeeding as babies.

You could look for a bird groomer that would be able to do it for a lower fee, or if you are confident in your ability to be able to handle your bird with a helper, you could ask your vet to teach you to do it

IMG_20220624_125603_550.jpg

linkous101

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Coleman
My Jardine's needs beak trims occasionally; even with chewing tons of wood daily, it's not always worn down by chewing. When it's off to one side like that, it's usually called scissorbeak and occurs due to the bottom beak not rubbing up enough on the top beak to stay shorter. It's sometimes caused by improper handfeeding as babies.

You could look for a bird groomer that would be able to do it for a lower fee, or if you are confident in your ability to be able to handle your bird with a helper, you could ask your vet to teach you to do it

View attachment 414129
ok thank you