• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biggest Parrot Species Feathers

Isabella

Moving in
Real Name
Isabella de Jager
Hi there! I really dont know where to post this but I'm wondering what parrot species have the largest feathers. Any types of feathers - primary, secondary, breast, etc. - just not underflooflies haha. Just a curious thought. I'm assuming it'd probably be some sort of macaw or cockatoo, but honestly I just want some more thoughts. Thank you!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Peacocks?

Isabella

Moving in
Real Name
Isabella de Jager
I'd say macaws. Tail feathers can be upwards of 2 feet long, depending on the species of macaw.
Thanks! In length I'd definitely agree but what about width?

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Oh true! Their feathers are beautiful. How about parrots though?
A hyacinth macaw would have the largest feather. It is the largest macaw.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Peacocks?
Somebody didn´t read the thread title :lol:

....though I wonder if peacock feathers are larger than eagle feathers? I have a feeling eagles are a little longer, but I don´t know.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian

....though I wonder if peacock feathers are larger than eagle feathers? I have a feeling eagles are a little longer, but I don´t know.
Peacock feathers can be 5ft, longer than the peacock itself. Eagle feathers are about 2ft.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Any long tailed parrot will have some long feathers. My budgies are pint sized, but their tail feathers are impressive. :)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thanks! In length I'd definitely agree but what about width?
Ohh yes you did mention parrots but apparently my brain went elsewhere lol

That would be me multitasking again :laugh:

Isabella

Moving in
Real Name
Isabella de Jager
Peacock feathers can be 5ft, longer than the peacock itself. Eagle feathers are about 2ft.
How about eclectus parrot feathers? I've seen the parrots themselves but as they're uncommon here I haven't really noted anything regarding their feathers. Same with Amazon parrots.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Greenwing macaw feathers I’d think would possibly be your largest parrot feathers

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Greenwing macaw feathers I’d think would possibly be your largest parrot feathers
I imagine a hyacinth macaw would be larger. Right? :bored:

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
How about eclectus parrot feathers? I've seen the parrots themselves but as they're uncommon here I haven't really noted anything regarding their feathers. Same with Amazon parrots.
Most ekkies and amazons are smaller than macaws so I doubt they have larger feathers.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I imagine a hyacinth macaw would be larger. Right? :bored:
From what I gather, they´re quite a similar size. I think a large GW could have a larger wingspan than a smaller Hy. So ultimately it will come down to individual bird.
Maybe @Macawnutz might know..

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Macaws will win length in feathers. Tail feathers from male macaws will be the longest. My longest here is my camelot, second largest I know is Volar, a harliquin. Both hit 24 inches. The hys hit about 22-23 inches. BG/Scarlet 18-21 here. Any of the macaws could have that length. I could easily see a scarlet or BG having a 24-25 inch tail, bigger body does not mean longer tail.

Bigger body does mean wider feathers. You have to think of what the purpose of each feather is. Widest feathers would be large body birds like a Hy or GW. It would be the secondary flight feathers used for braking. :) Just my opinion.

Isabella

Moving in
Real Name
Isabella de Jager
A
Macaws will win length in feathers. Tail feathers from male macaws will be the longest. My longest here is my camelot, second largest I know is Volar, a harliquin. Both hit 24 inches. The hys hit about 22-23 inches. BG/Scarlet 18-21 here. Any of the macaws could have that length. I could easily see a scarlet or BG having a 24-25 inch tail, bigger body does not mean longer tail.

Bigger body does mean wider feathers. You have to think of what the purpose of each feather is. Widest feathers would be large body birds like a Hy or GW. It would be the secondary flight feathers used for braking. :) Just my opinion.
Ahhhh thank you so so much, this is so helpful! So considering width, GWs and Hyacinths would be your largest, generally? I mean I know it depends solely on the individual parrot.