• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best species?

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
Hi there!

So, I may go to boarding school soon. The boarding school I will go to says I can bring one bird and they will provide organic fruits and veggies + My parents will ship me the toys, pellets, etc. I will have 4+ hours for the bird. Noise is not an issue. So, I was wondering, what bird would you recommend? I really want a sweet, cuddly, and funny bird.

Thank you, Adriana R.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My recommendation for the situation you describe is.... no bird. I’m sorry but I can’t lie to you- this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen for any bird.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with @Shezbug. This is not an ideal situation for a bird. You won't have any control over the environment your bird is in, including the use of air fresheners and fragranced cleaning chemicals. You may be sharing a room with other pupils who might not be responsible around a bird. You will be restricted in how much you can let your bird out. There will be plenty of other activities on offer - sports, music, and other extra-curricular activities in which you will be expected to participate. You will probably struggle to get the bird to a vet if needed.

You are very young, and your life will change beyond imagining in the next 10-15 years. You will finish school. You may go to university or you may enter the workplace. You will have demands on your time as you balance studies and/or work, maintaining a home, friendships, maybe dating and spending time with a special someone. You may want to move region or even country. You may want to study abroad - many universities offer exchange programmes. You may want to take up a hobby that will take up your evenings - anything from rock-climbing to gardening to playing in a band. Many jobs involve a few years of toughing it out on low wages and inconvenient working hours as you establish yourself.

These things are all GOOD. They will broaden your mind, teach you new things, and mould you into a smart, patient, capable adult. You will develop good instincts and good boundaries. You will learn what you can let slide and what you need to shut down before it becomes a problem. You'll learn how to roll with the punches and be unfazed at anything life throws at you. All this life experience makes you a much better caregiver for a bird.

Don't give up on your dreams of one day getting a bird. But for now, focus on you. Focus on developing yourself - your education, but also your hobbies, your interests, your friendships. You are very young and you have so much ahead of you.

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
I agree with @Shezbug. This is not an ideal situation for a bird. You won't have any control over the environment your bird is in, including the use of air fresheners and fragranced cleaning chemicals. You may be sharing a room with other pupils who might not be responsible around a bird. You will be restricted in how much you can let your bird out. There will be plenty of other activities on offer - sports, music, and other extra-curricular activities in which you will be expected to participate. You will probably struggle to get the bird to a vet if needed.

You are very young, and your life will change beyond imagining in the next 10-15 years. You will finish school. You may go to university or you may enter the workplace. You will have demands on your time as you balance studies and/or work, maintaining a home, friendships, maybe dating and spending time with a special someone. You may want to move region or even country. You may want to study abroad - many universities offer exchange programmes. You may want to take up a hobby that will take up your evenings - anything from rock-climbing to gardening to playing in a band. Many jobs involve a few years of toughing it out on low wages and inconvenient working hours as you establish yourself.

These things are all GOOD. They will broaden your mind, teach you new things, and mould you into a smart, patient, capable adult. You will develop good instincts and good boundaries. You will learn what you can let slide and what you need to shut down before it becomes a problem. You'll learn how to roll with the punches and be unfazed at anything life throws at you. All this life experience makes you a much better caregiver for a bird.

Don't give up on your dreams of one day getting a bird. But for now, focus on you. Focus on developing yourself - your education, but also your hobbies, your interests, your friendships. You are very young and you have so much ahead of you.
Not trying to be rude but how exactly do you know her age?