• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best seed mix

Ivan.Vanca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ivan Vanca
ok, well... despite I had harrisons at my home several times, I did not use that. I do not claim they were not tested.... but my personal opinion is that crushings soya and peanuts and others... into powder and mixing them either using higher temperatures or in a raw form... and claiming them to be like a multivitamins.. is a strange way....
One my previous 13 years old beloved budgie was fed by me for some time by vitakraft millet sticks.... I think they contribue to his nephritis death... and that is a similar extrem like when I would feed my budgies by any brand of pellets....
There are some special mixes of roudybush at kidney problems and liver problems.... after having a veterinary prescription... but now they are not available here and probably also within USA.... so when I wanted those special roudybush for a liver issues, I did not get them. I refused to use classic roudybush.
I also usually do not offer veggies like cabbage, broccoli, zellery, parsley, etc... because I do not consider them to be a good choice for birds....
I think I do not have my budgies in vitamine deficiency.... if my budgie with bounded egg died also due to lack of vitamine D or calcium ( hopefully not ), it has no relation to my seeds diet.... I suppose.

Budgiessss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
marie
ok so, we just bought a seed mix called encore. My parents are saying to feed them this :(. Can I feed them this with sprouts and veggies and pellets sprinkled on top?

Budgiessss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
marie
They do get time out of cage and will get sprouts and fresh veggies? Can I do this? I've seen you tubers like denny the budgie and Alen Axp do this and his bird lived till 10.

Budgiessss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
marie
I really wish I could put them on a pellet diet but it costs a lot when they finish 10 pounds in one month by kicking :(

Jogging around the block
ok so, we just bought a seed mix called encore. My parents are saying to feed them this :(. Can I feed them this with sprouts and veggies and pellets sprinkled on top?
If I am looking at the right seed mix (F.M. Brown'S Encore Premium Parakeet Food?), I personally wouldn't feed that by choice. I think Zupreem pellets would be much healthier for your birds, if you could get your parents to buy it and the birds to eat it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If you go through 10 lbs in a month you are over feeding. 10 lbs lasts me like 6 months with a 210g bird that eats 90% pellets.

Zupreem has a money back guarantee. If your birds don't like it, take it back to the store and get a refund.

Ultimately you can feed whatever you want. I know people who smoked who lived until they were 90. Doesn't mean smoking is healthy. Just means there is more to it, same as just seeds vs pellets. I would just make sure you are doing what is in the best interest of your bird long term, vs just listening to one person on this thread who has decided to be the voice of dissention in the thread.

What they eat in the wild is irrelevant to a degree. In the wild they have to eat what they can, when they can, and need to pack on calories for flying, breeding, and finding more food.

Studies show that birds live longer in captivity than they do in the wild. And yes, pellets have been shown to be healthier as part of a diet than a seed diet.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
As long as you feed as much veggies and sprouts as you can, I think your birds will be fine. I think zupreem fruity blend is the same price as seeds? I also know that birds will be very likely to eat zupreem fruity pellets. It commonly sold in chain pet stores, just try your best :)

Budgiessss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
marie
yea I got through 10 pounds in a month with my 7 birds because they kick A LOT out. So my parents don't really like that... But I go to school so I have to put enough food for them till I come.

Budgiessss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
marie
Their parents fed them Harrison's but once they came out of box, they started kicking everything out. So we had to go to roudybush and they don't like roudybush either :(. The only thing they are willing to eat is seeds.

Budgiessss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
marie
Does anyone else have birds on a seed diet with veggies and sprouts? How is it going?

Budgiessss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
marie
Ok so it it fine if I mix that seed mix with another called wild harvest daily blend and topped off with pellet powder?

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Could you pretty please start a thread of your flock with pictures and everything?:shy:

srkn77

Sitting on the front steps
If you go through 10 lbs in a month you are over feeding. 10 lbs lasts me like 6 months with a 210g bird that eats 90% pellets.

Zupreem has a money back guarantee. If your birds don't like it, take it back to the store and get a refund.

Ultimately you can feed whatever you want. I know people who smoked who lived until they were 90. Doesn't mean smoking is healthy. Just means there is more to it, same as just seeds vs pellets. I would just make sure you are doing what is in the best interest of your bird long term, vs just listening to one person on this thread who has decided to be the voice of dissention in the thread.

What they eat in the wild is irrelevant to a degree. In the wild they have to eat what they can, when they can, and need to pack on calories for flying, breeding, and finding more food.

Studies show that birds live longer in captivity than they do in the wild. And yes, pellets have been shown to be healthier as part of a diet than a seed diet.
How much pellets a day for two budgies are enough? I am planning to keep the seed mix inside all the time. I will keep feeding them with fresh vegetables, too. Could you help me with a feeding routine with these three options? I really wonder whether giving pellets in the morning or in the afternoon would be better for them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How much pellets a day for two budgies are enough? I am planning to keep the seed mix inside all the time. I will keep feeding them with fresh vegetables, too. Could you help me with a feeding routine with these three options? I really wonder whether giving pellets in the morning or in the afternoon would be better for them.
I free feed pellets, but it depends on how much your birds eat in a day. Birds tend to eat 10 - 20% of their body weight in a day, so you could go off of that and give them half that amount in pellets. Or start with a tbsp and see how much they eat. It's all about just sort of feeding the bird in front of you, as what I would feed might be different than what they thrive on or someone with more budgie experience would feed :)

Budgiessss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
marie
When I had two budgies, each would eat a tablespoon. But depends on your birds.