• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bentley_10

Moving in
Real Name
Derrick/Travis
Hello everyone! :)

I’m Bentley the macaw and I’m new here!
my dad’s are Derrick & Travis, we live in Florida! I am only 3 month’s old and continuing to grown each day!
I was born on September 10, 2023 adopted on October 30th.
Being hand fed but on the process of being weaned (eating on my own)

new pet owners, any tips, recipes, send us!

Instagram:: Bentley_Macaw
IMG_1986.jpeg 498D4757-ACAD-4FF5-A957-58E85815F697.jpeg IMG_2068.jpeg IMG_1986.jpeg 498D4757-ACAD-4FF5-A957-58E85815F697.jpeg IMG_2068.jpeg IMG_1986.jpeg

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE! From my family to yours! :heart::heart:

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Oh my goodness he’s is gorgeous :heart:

@Shezbug @Icey @Toy will be able to give you amazing advice

oh and :welave: can’t wait to see him grow

ps the picture behind him is terrifying that’s my one thing I can’t cope with things moving abnormally especially downstairs :rnfrt::scared5:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
But do love scary movies but when things move abnormally I have to cover my feet with blanket and cushion :rofl:

love his baby eyes massive :congrats5:

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
:hello: Welcome to the Avenue.
L:congrats5: on getting your new baby. He is stunning!!! :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:
Quite a few of us have macaws here, so there will usually be someone around if you have any questions, or need advice. :)

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww love his baby face.

I got JaKhu (B&G) at 4 months of age. She was/is a total stinker. Very nippy, loves to pull hair, I mean rip it out in the blink of an eye. She loves laying on her back & playing. She grabs my fingers & I swing her. She is super destructive compared to my previous B&G Macaw (avatar pic). JaKhu is now 3 years & 8 months old. She's finally made it thru the terrible two's. In case you don't know what the terrible two's are....Macaws are a major handful until they get past the age of 3 or so. They will try anything & everything. It's like a human toddler but with feathers & a can opener on it's face aka a beak. They will test that beak on everything & also their voice. Ignore screams. Never reward negative behavior. Only reward positive behavior.

There's a lady on here that makes great Stainless steel toys that will hold up to a macaw. Her store is closed until January tho, as she is having eye surgery.. Her name is Jan. Her site is: Blu's Bird Toys - Stimulate Your Bird's Senses! JaKhu loves her toys.

Many like wood toys. Keep in mind they won't last too long, but that's the point with toys they can destroy. They help keep the beak in shape.

One of JaKhu's favorite toys is a baby chime ball. I get them at Walmart. They don't last long, but she has fun destroying them. Colors vary depending on what they get in store. Spark.create.imagine Sci Rattle Ball - Walmart.com

For longer lasting rubber toys I get the Kong type for dogs, but never the black tire kind, as they have a strong rubber/chemical smell. There are rubber pacifiers, balls, etc., that make good foot toys.

Macaws love to swing, so he should have a swing in his cage. Our birds swings are also their high perches, so they all sleep on them as well. I'd wait a few months before you give him a swing, as he needs to learn to perch well first.

I'd suggest rolling him on his back (give him a ball or stuffed animal to hold/play with), rub his feet, so he gets use to them being touched. Helps with vet visits & nail clipping. Only rub feet, beak, head, neck. Any other place triggers mating behavior.

Offer lots of veggies, fresh, steamed or mashed. Potatoes, white or sweet, should be cooked before feeding. Sweet potatoes are a big fav. JaKhu is not big on pellets, but will eat some Zupreem brands. In-shell nuts can be offered in a few months, once his beak grows a bit. Macaws should have a few in-shell nuts (almonds, walnuts, hazel, pistachios, pecans, etc.) daily. NO peanuts in shell, as they can contain mold or fungus. NO onions, garlic, avocado, chocolate, carbonated beverages, caffeine, salt, sugar, junk food, etc. Limit fruits.

Try to associate words with items or actions so he learns what the words mean & may learn how to use them. Example: step up & wings up are actions. Items are apple, ball, etc. Keep your words consistent, so as not to confuse him. My previous B&G would look at food & ask if it was good. I'd say I don't know try it. She'd take a bite & if she liked it she'd say UMMMM good. If not she'd shake her head & say ewww. The more you talk to him & relate words the better he will be. One thing you can never teach a parrot is "NO". They will just keep trying over & over.

Also try to socialize him as much as possible while he's young. If you plan on harness training start now.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
:awww: and :scrstf:eek scary pumpkin

:welave:

:storkb: welcome home little baby Bentley, may you live a long happy , healthy life full of love .

Teaching and doing foraging together, it so pays off for life when they will forage. Very simple manipulation of objects right now or in a few more weeks ;)