• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Behavior Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I think this is begging, but I wanted to double check. I think he does it when he wants me to come and get him or give him something. You can also hear his little chirrup at the end of the clip

And him trying to play with one of his new toys without actually going back in his cage.

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
Yes it kinda is. amazons and most birds do this if they want to go some where or get to you, they usually do this motion in the direction that they want to go. Sometimes it appears as begging if you have something they want, but they will also do this out of fear, you see this behavior mostly in clipped birds, but all birds do it

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
My Harley does that when he wants me to pick him up. Usually he will do that and lift his foot right after. Your amazon sure is cute!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Yes it kinda is. amazons and most birds do this if they want to go some where or get to you, they usually do this motion in the direction that they want to go. Sometimes it appears as begging if you have something they want, but they will also do this out of fear, you see this behavior mostly in clipped birds, but all birds do it
Yup. I wanna go and I want to go NOW!!! :D

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran

Yup. I wanna go and I want to go NOW!!! :D
That's what I thought. I see my budgies do it occasionally, and it's pretty much always followed by them flying over to what it is they want. I'm working with Jasper to try to encourage him to have some initiative. He's only started doing this recently. He used to just sorta sit there like a lump if I wasn't directly interacting with him, but now he's beginning to ask to interact and play/move independently. Hopefully he can translate this into flying where he wants like the budgies when his flights finish coming in.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
He is beautiful!!!! He sure wants to come to you.

Kimba

I'm sure he will start to fly as long as he has the confidence to do so, this behavior is definitely a step in the right direction.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I agree ..begging. He is adorable..I LOVE amazons!

Kathy

I don't have time right now to read the responses but looks to me like he wants to go to you.
Sporty does that, lowers his wings, and he also makes a wimper sound.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
He is gorgus
mango is flighted and truth i cant remember him doing that im not saying he didnt but your going to have your hands full once hes flighted
they sure go where they want and fast so far im lucky he has one spot that i forbid only because it has an electric cord that i cant hide and i make him get of as soon as he lands there

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Could we get a mod to move this thread to the behavior forum? It seems like it would be a good fit there. :)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My RFM does that, and yep, begging :)

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Here's another vid of him doing it (don't mind our discussion). He did this pretty much the whole time. I could not figure out what he wanted, he didn't want to step up or get scritches since he ignored me when I offered.

Besta3

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jackie
Baby does that and then hurries to her perch. When I sit down next to her she gently grabs my sleeve and bends her head for skritches. I have started scratching and pulling on her head feathers like she does. Now, I have made a pest because if I am working on the computer she continually grunts for my attention. She does the wing thing and screams at me "Come here" Bossier than my daughter and that is truly going some.:rofl:

Kimba

That video is about 2 things......about territory, he is staking his claim and reinforcing it on that play area. But before he did that he was begging. My guess, at first he wanted you out of a insecurity need, (how well does he know the person you were talking to?) and than he quickly realized that he is a big boy and can defend his own area. This could have been a territorial play, or practice for later on in life, depending on his age. If he is older, than he is reinforcing his confidence, and it is less about play and practice. But more about a slight warning that wasn't really needed but he felt like it anyway. Make sense?

Last edited:

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
That video is about 2 things......about territory, he is staking his claim and reinforcing it on that play area. But before he did that he was begging. My guess, at first he wanted you out of a insecurity need, (how well does he know the person you were talking to?) and than he quickly realized that he is a big boy and can defend his own area. This could have been a territorial play, or practice for later on in life, depending on his age. If he is older, than he is reinforcing his confidence, and it is less about play and practice. But more about a slight warning that wasn't really needed but he felt like it anyway. Make sense?
Yeah, he's definitely showing that he's a big boy at the end, lol! He's 24 years old, so he's well versed in training humans, though he's never met the person I was talking to before (who is very bird savvy).

Kimba

I thought he might not of known the person well if at all......the whole behavior that he played out would have definitely been done under those circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.