• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Behavior Question

NoelleMartin

Meeting neighbors
I haven't been on or posted in awhile, but I have a question about my adopted Grey's behavior. Whenever I approach his cage and talk to him directly he hangs from the cage and begins to preen or what seems to be preening but I also notice lil feathers coming out. It happens every single time. Its so much that my husband tells me to leave him alone because he is scared he is going to keep plucking. Sometimes he does it for a few seconds and gets back on his perch and sticks his leg out to hold my finger but sometimes he just keeps doing it and its so upsetting I walk off. We have had him almost three months now. I'm worried I am upsetting him. Any thoughts?

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Welcome back!
Is he preening any particular area or just all over? Do interact as in having step up or does he spend all of his time in the cage?
Thanks

NoelleMartin

Meeting neighbors
He seems to be doing it mostly in the back area. I'm just standing talking to him outside of his cage. I'm not trying to get him out or anything. He came out of the cage once and flew around and I think that scared him. He doesn't seem to want to come out anymore. I will open the top of his cage and he climbs out but he is still getting use to us. My husband can get him to come out some times and after he gets him out he will come to me but I can't get him to come out just to me.

Kodigirl210

I would say it’s probably frustration on his part. It sounds like he is trying to bond as he is offering for you to pick him up and at the same time he’s unsure as shown by hesitation to come out. He doesn’t want to bite you so he preens to redirect the conflict in him.

I would suggest leaving the front and top open and always bring a treat as well as a toy with you. If starts to preen distract him with either the toy or treat. Both are good things so he will become more confident the more positive interactions you have.

Also, bonding doesn’t require leaving the cage. Spend a little time looking up target training. It sounds like it would particularly effective here because he is somewhat “cage bound.” It will also increase his confidence and your bond. Make sure the hubby participated as well so he doesn’t become a single owner bird.

I have a feeling if you actively encourage trust and companionship that he will be ready before you’d ever think. Also, go at his pace but don’t be afraid to try. If he offers to step up, let him. It may sound strange but you really don’t have to go anywhere. You can have him step up, hold him there for a 2-count and set him back down. This way he can gain surety that nothing bad is going to happen.

Hope all goes well & best wishes!

NoelleMartin

Meeting neighbors
Thanks! I want him to be happy and well adjusted. I just love him to pieces.

Kodigirl210

I completely understand. @KatelynDeanne has a rescue CAG and she was very unsure as well. Time and patience have alleviated the fear either had and they are doing quite well.

Normally I would say spend time near him talking to him but in your case it’s leading to more frustration on his part. Maybe place a small mp3 speaker or something like the Amazon Dot or Echo next to him and have it play ambient sound. The most important thing he needs to do is to relax and hopefully something like that will help desensitize him to the new noises and activities going on around him. I am glad you were able to give him a soft place to land :)

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
When I first got Lucy, she was timid. What I did was just sit across the room and talk to her. We also use the Amazon alexa and play her ambient sounds. Her favorite is "bird sounds" and she even turns it on by herself now. :) 3 months is NOTHING to your bird. They take a long time to come around. Took Lucy 4 months to let me touch her. I am unsure what to do about plucking and every bird is different but given that the feathers are standing up is a fear response in most situations. I think this will just be a case of letting the bird come to you and being patient. Go about your day, leave the cage open and let him come out on his own. Go to the cage to feed and show him your not going to harm him. Let him know your hands are assosciated with good things. :) Maybe even try offering a treat such as unsalted sunflower seeds.