• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

BARTOK THE BRAVE!!!

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I took the afternoon off and drove a few towns over to check out a parrot rescue that I love in search of a friend for Bartok. When we walked in the door, I told my husband I did NOT want another yellow/green budgie - we were DEFINITELY going home with a white one. Obviously, that didn't happen. Allow me to introduce B's new beau. Mordecai. OH!!! ALSO!!!!!! There was a GCC at petsmart - we stopped in to pick up some extra perches (I have never TRULY considered having a conure before, I don't think I have ever met one in real life) I. Fell. In. Love. Leaving him there was HEARTWRENCHING, I'm attaching a picture JUST to show you how darling it was. (Don't worry, we aren't adding ANY more birds to our family at this time!!!) The person at the rescue said that all the birds JUST had a check up (Mordecai is also microchipped which feels fancy) we are still quarantining to be on the safe side. Mordecai OF COURSE slipped out of his cage when we tried to place him, and he is not great at flying (compared to B at least).
:cngrt5: Such a cutie pie!!

Scorpi0

Sprinting down the street
Congrats! Told ya u were gonna get more budgies :p

Mordecai looks like he has all his flight feathers. Be careful with any open windows or doors. And careful he doesnt attempt to fly through any closed windows since hes not familiar with his surroundings yet.

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
Congrats! Told ya u were gonna get more budgies :p

Mordecai looks like he has all his flight feathers. Be careful with any open windows or doors. And careful he doesnt attempt to fly through any closed windows since hes not familiar with his surroundings yet.
I fought it!!!! But the rescue had OVER 70!!!! And, I figured it wouldn't disrupt our lives TOO much. I picked Mordecai because he seemed the exact opposite of Bartok hopefully THAT wasn't a mistake! Something I didn't anticipate happened tonight!!! Bartok has lived alone since shes been here (obviously) so she "flock calls" in the morning (usually to let me know she is ready and impatiently waiting for her food and freedom) Mordecai lived in a rescue, with MANY birds and MANY budgies - we thought we were so slick taking him upstairs with her none the wiser until about 8pm when he ...called to his flock. She most definitely heard him, and returned the message for a good 10 minutes!!! I sureeee hope they get along! So far he is a sweet heart, and B is...our sassy little hurricane. Lol I wonder if he's just less experienced with flight because he was in a cage most of his life (a big cage at the rescue at least) fingers crossed he can keep up with the lady dynamo!!!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
What a beautiful "not green and yellow budgie" lol.
Mordecai is handsome and I love the name.

Scorpi0

I fought it!!!! But the rescue had OVER 70!!!! And, I figured it wouldn't disrupt our lives TOO much. I picked Mordecai because he seemed the exact opposite of Bartok hopefully THAT wasn't a mistake! Something I didn't anticipate happened tonight!!! Bartok has lived alone since shes been here (obviously) so she "flock calls" in the morning (usually to let me know she is ready and impatiently waiting for her food and freedom) Mordecai lived in a rescue, with MANY birds and MANY budgies - we thought we were so slick taking him upstairs with her none the wiser until about 8pm when he ...called to his flock. She most definitely heard him, and returned the message for a good 10 minutes!!! I sureeee hope they get along! So far he is a sweet heart, and B is...our sassy little hurricane. Lol I wonder if he's just less experienced with flight because he was in a cage most of his life (a big cage at the rescue at least) fingers crossed he can keep up with the lady dynamo!!!
Oh I know how u feel. Everytime I walk into my local Petco I pass by the budgies and am so tempted to bring another one home lol.

I didnt quarantine any of my new birds because of them constantly calling to eachother. Plus Petco claims that all their birds have been checked and cleared, but I dunno how true that is or to what extent.

I actually have a camera set up on their cage which I use to monitor them constantly. Some mornings I will wake up and decide to check on them before getting out of bed. When I open the app, they hear their own calls coming from my phone and will start chirping back n forth lol.

Winn

Jogging around the block
Aww! Beautiful! (Both)
I struggle going into pet stores for supplies because I always see "just that one more" I want to give a home. (My roommate is SUPPOSED TO talk me out of it but usually reminds me I have space for more..):huh:
So far I've been strong!

I hope Lady Bartok and Mordecai hit it off well. Congrats on the new fid!:heart:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Wow - I love his name - and Congratulations - I'll bet he will be a great new family member for all of you. Especially B! :heart: :heart: :heart:

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
Just some photos of my beast, and my beauty. Lol I was able to get some photographic evidence of "Face time" with B in the midst of a session of me beeping at her...hence the baffled look on her face. Mordecai was quite a bit smaller than Bartok when we got him, but he seems to have filled out nicely (hopefully) i suppose i should order a scale!!! (Also, mind the tape on the floor - its my "cage bubble" to help my smallest tornado learn bird boundaries!)

Attachments

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Both of them have some great markings on their faces that make them look like their personalities just go on forever! Such great photos! :heart:

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Great pics :)

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
I just wanted to provide an update. I....have had a change of heart. Previously, I thought Lady B was upset with me because she was jealous that I was trying to get close to Mordecai.... but lately - I think she is jealous because she wants to be the "apple of my eye". I have been making more of an effort to interact with Bartok 1-1 and give her "special" attention and kind of... ignore Mordi (but like...its not ignoring because he is so passive and doesn't make a move without her approval) anyway, SHE IS COMING BACK AROUND! she still won't come to me without incentives, but she perches near me, and chatters to me in a..not chipmunk mean way, especially if I have been working at the office - if i come home and flood her with the "hello my smart girl"'s she will perch near my face, slow wink at me and chatter. I feel a little bit guilty, thinking that she was being "mean" to me when she was really just seeking my attention. (Pics of B's bath love, just because)

Attachments

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
MORDECAI....HECKING TALKED TODAY!!!! My husband caught it, and he was so excited he gave mordi extra attention which effectively broke B's heart (yes..very sad..anyway) WHICH MEANS!!!! SHE CAME BACK TO MEEEEEEE!!!! (he says...Mordi, Mordi. And "Step up") which is ironic because...hes too...shy to ACTUALLY step up. Here are pics of me and B's reunion :heart:

Attachments

Scorpi0

Post up a vid!! We wanna hear the little one speak!!

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
Checking in with a tiny photo dump! We are still living Lady B's best life. Mordi is still an absolute sweetheart and Bartok is still an absolute weirdo. They will be red faced forever due to a pretty serious beet habit B has acquired. I had an abundance of beets after harvesting our garden so I included it in their chop. The next time I made chop, I didnt have any beets on hand. B let me know that I had made a mistake by knocking all of the dishes down all day long over and over until beet justice had been restored. ❤

Attachments