• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby territorial behavior or?

Hamlet

Moving in
Hi,

I recently got a green cheek, around 3-4 months old. Now she can be cuddly, i only do head and neck cuddling. She does like to bite to explore but i can tell its not aggressive that shes just playing around, trying to get into bite pressure training. My problem is when she gets real aggressive. She is still a bite but her bites are no joke, she breaks skin and my fingers bleed. What triggers her is when i touch any of her toys. Thats not limited to what i buy as her toys, but anything she takes a liking to. For instance, there was this bag of candy that i got and she just took to the wrappers, now i cant get one of them open to eat without her feather getting ruffled up and a real nasty bite coming. I thought okay ill respect her territory shes a wild animal and try to deal with this. But it ha sbecome serious when i was cleaning out the room, she was on my shoulder, i picked up a pencil (she chewed on that like one time before?) and she lunged at my finger so hard i just had to flick her off and i feel so guilty about that. Ive heard about target training and stick training, should i get her used to me holding whatever toy with a stick so she can bite the stick and get no reaction, will that make it better? Or is that going to provoke her more. Is this normal, never read of a baby being this aggressive?

Also, she is completely bonded to me, she asks for cuddles she asks to be let out of the cage, ive spent everyday with her thanks to covid, she isnt particularly scared of my fingers, she steps up, when she nibbles too hard and i make a loud sound she tones down her nibbling after that so i think shes getting that biting hard hurts.

What should i do, i dont want this to develop into something worse when she hits puberty!

Hamlet

Moving in
I also forgot to mention- please help im at my wits end :(:(:(

Aves

Rollerblading along the road

Hamlet

Moving in
Thank you, if anyone has more specific advise i'd really appreciate it.

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
The best thing you can do, in my opinion would be to say a stern no, put her down and walk away whenever she bites you. @Monica @webchirp

Hamlet

Moving in
The best thing you can do, in my opinion would be to say a stern no, put her down and walk away whenever she bites you. @Monica @webchirp
[/QUOTE

the thing is her bite is nasty. Should i train her on me holding the toys or is she going to hate me for doing this? Will this make the behavior improve over time? I just dont understand why a baby this young is doing this. Just now while typing this she was biting one of the things on the keyboard, saw me typing feathers fluffed up and she launched.

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
Sorry, I have no idea about if you should train your bird to let you hold her toys nor any idea how you would do this. :shrug: .

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
See Free Training Resources

Rocco is very much like this...he isn't allowed on my shoulder at all because he will flip his lid over something randomly. I usually just set him back down and walk away.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
1.) You want to prevent this behavior. By "allowing" your bird to practice biting, you are reinforcing your bird's need to bite.

2.) If you do get bit, set her down! Don't ignore her for biting, don't punish her! Simply set down and turn your back for a few seconds.

3.) Training *WILL* help! You could see if target training her to touch the toys or objects for a reward could help, or do an "exchange" type game. Find items she isn't really possessive over and touch the items. Give her a reward. Pick up the items. Give her a reward. Handle the items. Give her a reward. Slowly build up to handling other objects and rewarding her for remaining calm. She acts out? No attention, no reward.