• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby sun conure biting. Advice?

Brookliebu

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Brook
Hello everyone I had recently got a beautiful 9 month old sun conure named Chili!
I have been working with him on step up training and of course some days are better than others but I try to work with him everyday.
He has no problem climbing up onto my shoulder (even without a treat) however, he constantly bites my neck and can be pretty painful. I lightly tell him no but can't seem to get him off without giving him a treat. Is this normal? How can I try to discourage this behavior?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
-Brook

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
:bump4:

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
What is he usually doing right before he bites? Do you notice any warning signs or certain situations when he is likely to bite?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Chili still has a lot of settling in to do. He's young and very impressionable with every thing you do with him. At this point, I wouldn't allow him on your shoulder at all. Once he's up there you have no control as you would if he were on your hand or arm. You're already experiencing this and giving him a treat to get him off... which is rewarding him for his behavior in biting and resisting to step off. He's already biting your neck, is he also biting your hand when you want to retrieve him from your shoulder? Once he steps up on your hand and tries to climb up your arm to your shoulder use your other hand to step him up to keep him from getting to your shoulder. You may have to do this several times each time you pick him up. If he behaves for the step up reward him for that. You should also train him to step up on a hand held perch. It's an excellent tool to use when they get into places to high for you to reach or for the times he does get up your shoulder it will save your fingers from getting bitten. Reward him for learning to step onto a perch so he'll know it's a good thing to step onto.

Brookliebu

Real Name
Brook
Chili still has a lot of settling in to do. He's young and very impressionable with every thing you do with him. At this point, I wouldn't allow him on your shoulder at all. Once he's up there you have no control as you would if he were on your hand or arm. You're already experiencing this and giving him a treat to get him off... which is rewarding him for his behavior in biting and resisting to step off. He's already biting your neck, is he also biting your hand when you want to retrieve him from your shoulder? Once he steps up on your hand and tries to climb up your arm to your shoulder use your other hand to step him up to keep him from getting to your shoulder. You may have to do this several times each time you pick him up. If he behaves for the step up reward him for that. You should also train him to step up on a hand held perch. It's an excellent tool to use when they get into places to high for you to reach or for the times he does get up your shoulder it will save your fingers from getting bitten. Reward him for learning to step onto a perch so he'll know it's a good thing to step onto.
Usually when I offer Chili my hand to step up he doesn't bite me hard or even for the most part he will just ignore it and then I can only reward him to get him off.
Thank you for your reply!
When he steps up he usually tries crawling right for my shoulders or head again. Usually he will step up on a perch but only if he sees a treat.
Also when do you think would be an appropriate time to let him on my shoulder?

Brookliebu

Real Name
Brook
What is he usually doing right before he bites? Do you notice any warning signs or certain situations when he is likely to bite?
Honestly his bites are not really aggressive he just sort of nips at my neck but once he is on my shoulder or head he never wants to come off unless a treat is provided