• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby lovebird cage or what?!

EAZi Parrot

Meeting neighbors
Hello, I was able to clarify my Lovebird's(Hoshiko) age from the shop and he's actually around 1.5 months old or a little less. I think putting him in the cage is a bit early. Although I keep the cage door open all the time it's still a bit harsh on him. He likes snuggling in a corner, or when I bring him out of the cage he just snuggles under my hand and tries to get warm. This is my first parrot since I was a kid and my dad used to raise Parrots. I was living in a small apartment so didn't have space for a bird. I moved to a new place and the 1st thing I did after settling down is getting this lovebird. I'm really dedicated and I can put timr and effort into raising my Hoshiko. I would appreciate any tips and suggestions you guys can give me. I'm thinking to pass by the shop and see if there's something smaller I can get that's a bit softer for him to snuggle in and sleep.
I've been reading a lot I'm the forum, you guys are extremely expert compared to my local petshops owners hehe. :D

EAZi Parrot

Meeting neighbors
1 more thing to clarify, Hoshiko doesn't stand on the perch at all, he always stands or sleeps on the floor of the cage.

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
He might like a Prevue cozy corner :)

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Keep the bottom padded for now for better footing.

@fluffypoptarts can yout offer some advice? My babies were 10 and 8 weeks when I got them and weaned.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I used baby blankets folded up in zippered pillowcases until Neut stopped falling. I would definitely keep the bottom of the cage padded in the event of falls or frequent resting. But also be mindful of smothering or ingestion risks.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What about a little seagrass tent? (Made from 2 small seagrass mats clipped together, typically.)

EAZi Parrot

Meeting neighbors
I'm gonna buy a bigger cage for him today, and I'll try to set up something for him, he's a bit stable and not falling or anything much. But a seagrass tent would be really nice for him. Yesterday I went to several shops but couldn't find something suitable for him, whatever I found had a very small hole in it and I thought it's not big enough for him to walk in and out. Anyways I'll stop this thread here and start a new thread. I'll tag you guys there. I'm thinking to take a new decision and thought you guys might be a great help.