• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Baby budgie sleeps a lot and has dark poops.

Monchi

Moving in
My baby budgie of 4 weeks have been sleeping all day, and his poop turned black. I asked to the person from whom I got Starlight, and he said it could be due to the sudden change in temperature. I have been giving him warm for about two hours. He looks better (he's fixing his feathers, chirping a little more and starting to move), but his poop is still black.
I was hoping to take him to the vet the Monday (they doesn't open in weekends), but if anyone here could help me, I would be grateful.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What kind of feeding routine are you using? What foods, temp, etc?

Monchi

Moving in
I'm feeding puree for baby birds, three times a day every 7-9 hours, 5ml (though he just ate 4ml this time).
I don't measure the temperature of the food, but I keep it warm and check it with my wrist every time I feed him.

Monchi

Moving in
My baby budgie of 4 weeks have been sleeping all day, and his poop turned black. I asked to the person from whom I got Starlight, and he said it could be due to the sudden change in temperature. I have been giving him warm for about two hours. He looks better (he's fixing his feathers, chirping a little more and starting to move), but his poop is still black.
I was hoping to take him to the vet the Monday (they doesn't open in weekends), but if anyone here could help me, I would be grateful.

I'm feeding puree for baby birds, three times a day every 7-9 hours, 5ml (though he just ate 4ml this time).
I don't measure the temperature of the food, but I keep it warm and check it with my wrist every time I feed him.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Black poop is usually a sign that something is wrong. Are there no other vets open today? Today would be better.

Food should always be 105F. Every time. Buy a thermometer from the chemist/pharmacy. Some large supermarkets sell them too as well as any places that sell (human) baby stuff.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Duplicate threads merged.

Is puree for hand-rised birds.
That food is made in my city and I´ve never heard of it.

If you live around here there are some emergency clinics near the city centre open 24hours a day including sunday.

Monchi

Moving in
Black poop is usually a sign that something is wrong. Are there no other vets open today? Today would be better.

Food should always be 105F. Every time. Buy a thermometer from the chemist/pharmacy. Some large supermarkets sell them too as well as any places that sell (human) baby stuff.
Is not fully black, it changed to a brownish color through the day. And no, there's no 24h vet near my house. The closest is in 30 min in car and I don't have anyone to take me.
Also, I'm from Spain.

I gave him all the warm I could with electrical warmers. I will actualize about his state, I'm doing what I can to keep him warm :')

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Is not fully black, it changed to a brownish color through the day. And no, there's no 24h vet near my house. The closest is in 30 min in car and I don't have anyone to take me.
Also, I'm from Spain.

I gave him all the warm I could with electrical warmers. I will actualize about his state, I'm doing what I can to keep him warm :')
Zara also lives in Spain. Maybe a call around to every vet you can find will get you at someone closer. 30 min drive to an AV is awesome! I travel approximately 2 hrs one way for my birds vet.