• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

At my breaking point....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne361

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Wayne

Walking away he just sees his victory and makes it that much harder later.

I won't withhold food for them to listen. I have a friend that use to do that with one of her macaws and I really just don't agree with it. Just my opinion tho, I just can't do it to them. I wouldn't ever consider doing this to my child so I could never do this to my birds.
I understand something but to be clear in no way am I starving my bird. In people terms, I have two wonderful girls, I dont feed them cake, snacks etc before dinner. It will spoil their dinner and I know they are getting nutritious/healthy food for their meal time. I dont think this is cruel to the kids so definitely not cruel to parrots. Im not ramming any opinion here but overfeeding parrots can cause some serious issues most notably with liver function and generally overweight birds. I weigh my bird daily to ensure he is optimum weight and control his feeding accordingly. Every bird is different and you must assertain proper feedings accordingly. If this isnt the way you choose to go thats fine. Just my thoughts and hoping to give back what others have taught me.

Wayne

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I understand something but to be clear in no way am I starving my bird. In people terms, I have two wonderful girls, I dont feed them cake, snacks etc before dinner. It will spoil their dinner and I know they are getting nutritious/healthy food for their meal time. I dont think this is cruel to the kids so definitely not cruel to parrots. Im not ramming any opinion here but overfeeding parrots can cause some serious issues most notably with liver function and generally overweight birds. I weigh my bird daily to ensure he is optimum weight and control his feeding accordingly. Every bird is different and you must assertain proper feedings accordingly. If this isnt the way you choose to go thats fine. Just my thoughts and hoping to give back what others have taught me.

Wayne
I understand its not starving them, it just seems morally wrong to me. I couldn't ever go to a kid and say if you clean your room then you get dinner. Idk just my opinion.

Wayne361

Real Name
Wayne
Actually, that is my point Wayne. We are all at different places in our path of being parrot owners. What works for some, does not necessarily work for another.

So even though Erica is talking about the behavior of just one bird, her household has multiple birds and dogs and people, all who affect her particular situation.
Agreed. Totally agree. Questions involve answers. If an answer seems not right for you or not applicable in your situation then by all means dismiss. Ya im tired and failed to read your original post correctly. I understand your point. Noted.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Try spending just 30 to 40 minutes away from the others in another room for a week or so and see if that makes a difference.:hug8:

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
Agreed. Totally agree. Questions involve answers. If an answer seems not right for you or not applicable in your situation then by all means dismiss. Ya im tired and failed to read your original post correctly. I understand your point. Noted.
You are a good guy! :D
:laughing12:

Wayne361

Real Name
Wayne

I understand its not starving them, it just seems morally wrong to me. I couldn't ever go to a kid and say if you clean your room then you get dinner. Idk just my opinion.
p
I agree in that I would NEVER withhold food as a punishment for a child. Many many many other ways to properly punish a child. A bird doesnt have the same communication/intellectual abilities that a human has. Yes birds can and do understand some of what you say but most things they have no idea. Two different species. If I said to a child "please clean up your toys or we are not going to your friends birthday party" they can grasp pretty quickly action/consequences. If I said to a parrot "Oscar make sure you come to your cage when i ask you to or I will withhold food" what oscar hears is "blah blah blah...blah blah blah" I would compare it with listening to Charlie Browns teacher (if you ever watched old cartoons). Thus you need to find other motivational tools, Im not withholding food, I am having strict meal times in which the bird knows there is a reward waiting after training and before bed time. I am not saying you are wrong....just good dialogue and maybe we can both gain from each others perspective. Have you ever been asked a question etc and then thought "I never looked at it like that before" and something clicked? That is all good dialogue is about. Not picking any fights. I LOVE it when I learn new things or old things take on new meanings due to a different perspective.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
"I understand its not starving them, it just seems morally wrong to me. I couldn't ever go to a kid and say if you clean your room then you get dinner. Idk just my opinion."

Withholding dinner from a child to clean their room is morally wrong. •Clicker training does not do that. •This is a misconception people make. •Animals are not starved or their primary meals with held. •In fact food does not have to be the reward. •With dogs, a tug toy is more desirable for racing. •My birds love praise as children would. •People don't use positives and praise enough in my observations. •It's about the activity and mind stimulation and doing it together that makes it a nice bonding activity. •BTW a clicker is just to teach the task then it is faded away.

You are having a great time with Dexter so what you are doing works and enjoy those hugs which are pretty special.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Oh yes I forgot to mention usually I start with moving cage interiors, location within a room, etc.

Changing up their environment usually helps. It also teaches my guys to adapt! ;)
Amanda, I am always changing the birdroom around, as well as their cage set ups. I also believe it helps my guys adapt to changes and not be scared of new things. I also think it's nice to have a different flock member to 'chat' with, plus they get a little different scenery outside.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
"I understand its not starving them, it just seems morally wrong to me. I couldn't ever go to a kid and say if you clean your room then you get dinner. Idk just my opinion."

Withholding dinner from a child to clean their room is morally wrong. •Clicker training does not do that. •This is a misconception people make. •Animals are not starved or their primary meals with held. •In fact food does not have to be the reward. •With dogs, a tug toy is more desirable for racing. •My birds love praise as children would. •People don't use positives and praise enough in my observations. •It's about the activity and mind stimulation and doing it together that makes it a nice bonding activity. •BTW a clicker is just to teach the task then it is faded away.

You are having a great time with Dexter so what you are doing works and enjoy those hugs which are pretty special.
I use clicker training all the time, I have been training horses and dogs for quite some time now and I use a clicker all the time. I just don't see it helpful in this particular case as I've mentioned before.

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
I think this is a great thread and many can learn from this. First of all, this bird needs to learn where it stands within its flock. In a bird's natural environment, there is a pecking order and the dominate one makes the rules. If I remember correctly, all animals have a leader. In this case, the human is the leader of the flock and the bird needs to follow the rules. In many posts on various forums, people say birds are like children. Well, children need to know the rules and how to behave within their society. There is no reason why this bird should not be given a punishment of some sort for its misbehavior which is attacking people and animals no matter what the cause. In any animal environment, a member is put into place by slight physical violence and the member straightens up. We know violence is not the cure with birds because then there is no longer trust. I see no reason why a bird cannot receive a time out in its cage. We are taught as young parents when a child misbehaves to give it a timeout in a corner or his/her room, but to discuss the situation afterward and show affection as well so the child understands why it was punished and is still loved. With a bird, once the time out has allowed the bird to settle down, it then can be again brought out into the family environment. Birds are very intelligent animals and will associate their behavior with timeouts. Hopefully timeouts will cure this little bird's temper tantrums whenever it sees something it doesn't like.

A lot of people leave their birds unclipped and that is their choice. But to allow a bird who has shown violent behavior and terrorize everything in its path and remain unclipped is crazy in my opinion. The most important thing here is safety for everybody in the household. This is an animal and an animal does not run the household in which it's in. There are lots of training methods available and owners must choose what works for them. I do not see a reason why a bird cannot be clipped while being trained. What is wrong with a bird being dependent on its owner? She is the leader who provides everything it needs.

I have a rehomed bird that was free flighted and was spoiled. Whenever this bird sees us eat at the table while out on its playstand, it flies and lands on us expecting a handout. That is not acceptable in our household. I understand many people think of their pets as their children, but they aren't. They are animals and should be treated as such. These birds have long lives and most likely will have to be rehomed at some point because they will out live us. Please think ahead who may own the bird after you and teach it some manners.
Pretty sure this hasn't been touched for some obvious reasons but if people are going to read this thread for some good insight I think someone has to. Might as well be me.

Birds do not have a hierarchy. There is no "leader" in a flock (actually there are quite a few animal groups that do not have a leader mentality.) Humans are not in control of their parrots, they are part of their flock. Eating with your birds is a great way to bond with them and include them in flock activities they would do in the wild together. And my birds ARE my children, and many people here will agree with that. Just because you do not see them as equals or your children does not mean they shouldn't be seen that way to others. I absolutely love my birds, they are my babies, and if I ever dated someone who didn't like them tough •••• - that person would get the boot, not my birds. (My partner loves my birds though, especially Zen - he really wants to have a relationship with Neelix too but he's a brat.) I don't treat my birds as just "animals" - I treat them as more or less equals. If there was a fire I would risk my life to save them, if I had to choose between them and a stranger I would choose them, if someone wanted to move in with me that didn't like birds I would say no, etc.

And as with humans positive reinforcement has always done a lot more to curb inappropriate behavior than punishment alone.

I also do not believe either that training automatically means the bird should be clipped. Neelix enjoys training whether he is clipped or not (he was only clipped when I first got him though, the breeder did it :( ) and he does great. He has some behavior issues but those are mostly only brought out with others. You shouldn't force a bird to rely on you just because you think you are their leader. That's wrong, imo. Stripping away someones confidence so you can force what you want on them is basically what this is. I would rather my birds come to me when they want, join me in activities if they want, go back to their cage if they are done hanging out, etc etc. I don't want to force myself on them or take away their confidence for my own convenience because that's selfish. Not to mention the benefits of flight are so high and watching Neelix fly around is amazing. He is my most skilled flyer and definitely the most confident.

Erica - I know exactly what kind of situation you are in. I'm currently in it with Neelix. He does NOT like other people at all. You're lucky that your hubby can touch Dexter! LOL. My partner wants so desperately to cuddle with Neelix, he's been trying so hard by giving him lots of treats and talking to him but Neelix is just a little brat. After puberty hit for him he decided he only liked me and strangers were fun aerial attack targets. He takes treats aggressively too if you're not careful. Since my partner moved in Neelix has been in his cage a bit more than usual and I think he's calmed down quite a bit. If I stand or sit by his cage while he's on his playstand he won't fly to anyone. But if I'm holding him and someone comes towards me he'll bite me very hard. I also put Neelix in his cage if he's too excited (or if I know I'll trigger the behavior i.e. if I want to eat food or if I know someone is coming over.) One thing I would recommend is giving him a treat every single time he goes to his cage for bed (not for being naughty) and not giving him treats when he's put in his cage for his behavior. I actually try to get Neelix to go in his own cage at night rather than me putting him in it myself. He's easily bribed with almonds lol.

These greenies are little spit fires lol. Good luck.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I think he only likes hubby because hubby doesn't want to play with the birds.

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
I am not the most eloquent communicator, please excuse this
I think what Wayne is trying to convey is approaching the issue from a different angle, and he does have some good suggestions on this.

Personally I allow our bird access to food both in and out of the cage. He only ever gets a sunflower seed as a reward though.
This is how I practise food management.

There is an easy logical reason why cage time as punishment for a flighted bird won't ever work without force. Why should he take it when he can fly away? A flighted parrot gives us much bigger opportunities to better ourselves as trainers, because we can't cheat.

I do think chasing your little munchkin is detrimental to what you are trying to achieve. I don't have a fix it solution, it is something you will have to ponder and consider from different angles.

If I have a puppy who is more interested in something other than me when I call, I make it very obvious that I am having the most fun in the worldbyrunning away from it, it notices it is missing out on fun and chases me. Dog gets a positive experience, I get dog. I have only had one dog and that worked for me, it may not be the height of good dog training.

I do much the same thing to convince Nila he wants to be in his cage. I will fill his fav foraging toy with recycled paper kitty litter (because he seems to like that more than anything) and he will beeline straight for his cage. Obviously this would never work as a punishment, but I don't use punishment with Nila.
I am just sharing my personal solutions for these situations as an example of lateral thinking to achieve the desired result. Your situation is not the same.
I do like to start my assessment of my animals behaviour with something along the lines of 'I probably caused this, what did I do to provoke this reaction?'. Far from being self pitying, this serves me well with all the animals I have worked with.

I would concentrate on the triggers for the aggression and consider whether the cage is punishment/time out or whether you are putting him there so you can have some space to think about things and recover.

I hope that makes sense!

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Oh, I just thought of something. When you are chasing him to put him back in his cage do you say anything while doing it? I think one of the biggest reasons Neelix likes biting other people is because he would bite my aunt and she would scream and react, so now he thinks that it's fun to harass others. (although another reason could be protecting his territory.) My point is, if you do have a reaction while chasing him try next time to make it as bland as possible so he doesn't find as much fun in it. Though he probably finds the chase exciting anyway, but if you are cursing at him that is definitely "fun" too.

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
Im almost afraid to post now Hahahaha. For the record if my opinion doesnt reflect anothers opinion thats fine. I respect all opinions even if I dont agree. If others could be so open-minded there would be greater dialogue in this world.

Now to address the above. I agree that by caging the bird it will take it out of a situation. My point is that it does little (again my opinion) to deter the situation requiring the caging. I call this a 'band-aid" approach meaning you might temporarily "fix" the problem but not addressing the underlying issue. For example if you have a nippy bird and cage as a result this wont solve the original issue of WHY the behaviour exists. Sure the bird is caged and cant physically bite you unless you come close enough, but does little in terms of solving behavioural issue. I know this is just one example but IMO parrots dont respond well to "punishment" and dont process it the same way a child can i.e. action/consequence. FAR better to determine the root of the problem and deal with it as such.
Also the cage is the birds sanctuary, or should be, and why force bird to go into a sanctuary as punishment. If and I am saying if, the bird starts viewing going into the cage as a negative thing, this just sets up another round of behaviour problems regarding caging when required/wanted by owner. How many times has someone posted saying the bird unwillingly does not want to be caged? This can stem from the bird viewing the cage in a negative light....which punishment is based around.

OK....this is just my opinion. No soap box. No picking fights. No Im right your wrong. No hard feelings. No ramming anything down someones throat. Just open dialogue and the way MY brain works around parrot ownership. I would like to hear others opinions and most of all I respect what others have to say. If it has worked for someone in changing underlying behaviour thats awesome. I am just wondering if it is the direct result of caging or something else. I am open for honest, fun, respectful dialogue and not open to those who malign others for a differing opinion.

Wayne
"I'm almost afraid to post now"

I'm sorry you feel that way. Sometimes you just can't give people good, sound advise when they already have an answer in their head. I enjoyed your suggestions, for what it's worth :)

Wayne361

Real Name
Wayne

I'm sorry you feel that way. Sometimes you just can't give people good, sound advise when they already have an answer in their head. I enjoyed your suggestions, for what it's worth :)
I appreciate the kind words. Not all advice is for everyone and not all personalities mesh. Our fore fathers died for our freedom to choose, and thus I respect that immensely.

I took the advice that I am suggesting and it has paid off in spades thus just offering what has worked for me in this instance. I dont have multiple birds and probably will once time permits. But I will say one thing.....I will be doing TONNES of research on every foreseeable challenge that multiple bird ownership encompasses BEFORE I take on the challenge. It is only fair for the birds involved. I dont want to create something I dont want due to lack of planning. Obviously unforeseen problems/situations arise in every unique situation but if enough research is performed beforehand, this should help a great deal when dealing with unforeseen problems.
I hope to contribute more to this board as time permits and people dont get offended LOL One thing I am VERY strongly against is clipping and it might be a sore spot for some but birds are meant to fly and people shouldnt clip due to their OWN inability to properly train/condition the bird. Its a selfish, controling, mean, confidence destroying, thing to do to any bird. Also take away the absolute best way for a bird to gain exercise and you are jeopardizing the overall health of the bird. If you clip you shouldnt own. I hope others dont take this as picking a fight....its my opinion based on what I have seen and researched. If anyone wants a respectful debate/chat about the clipping issue I have no problem with it. Again cause opinions differ, there is no reason to be upset.

All the best.

Wayne

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:

Really? I understand you're still grumpy with me over the facebook comments I made and the fact that I wouldn't argue with you when you sent me a private message over it but this has NOTHING to do with me not accepting advice. I've mentioned many times that I do know what the ups are to what he is saying. TRUST ME I know, I've used his method on quite a few animals before. But when asking for advice I have received NUMEROUS things to try. Now as the bird owner I now must choose what I think might work the best MY situation. I am not required to do every single thing that people recommend in this thread. When he posted I had other suggestions that I thought would work better for Dexter, so that's why I chose them.

Judging by this post I doubt you've even read my replies to know that the situation has changed completely and even Wayne mentioned a different solution because the clicker training isn't what necessarily will help with this one.

The "afraid to post" thing came AFTER he decided to be like oh if you aren't going to do it my way then I can take the bird if you want since it's turning into a rescue/rehome situation. If someone were to say that to you I know for a fact you'd blow up on them too.

All you're doing it trying to stir the pot because you have this immature little grudge over me because I wouldn't sit down and shut up like you wanted people to do. Sorry but your tactics will not work on me.

I am not the most eloquent communicator, please excuse this
I think what Wayne is trying to convey is approaching the issue from a different angle, and he does have some good suggestions on this.

Personally I allow our bird access to food both in and out of the cage. He only ever gets a sunflower seed as a reward though.
This is how I practise food management.

There is an easy logical reason why cage time as punishment for a flighted bird won't ever work without force. Why should he take it when he can fly away? A flighted parrot gives us much bigger opportunities to better ourselves as trainers, because we can't cheat.

I do think chasing your little munchkin is detrimental to what you are trying to achieve. I don't have a fix it solution, it is something you will have to ponder and consider from different angles.

If I have a puppy who is more interested in something other than me when I call, I make it very obvious that I am having the most fun in the worldbyrunning away from it, it notices it is missing out on fun and chases me. Dog gets a positive experience, I get dog. I have only had one dog and that worked for me, it may not be the height of good dog training.

I do much the same thing to convince Nila he wants to be in his cage. I will fill his fav foraging toy with recycled paper kitty litter (because he seems to like that more than anything) and he will beeline straight for his cage. Obviously this would never work as a punishment, but I don't use punishment with Nila.
I am just sharing my personal solutions for these situations as an example of lateral thinking to achieve the desired result. Your situation is not the same.
I do like to start my assessment of my animals behaviour with something along the lines of 'I probably caused this, what did I do to provoke this reaction?'. Far from being self pitying, this serves me well with all the animals I have worked with.

I would concentrate on the triggers for the aggression and consider whether the cage is punishment/time out or whether you are putting him there so you can have some space to think about things and recover.

I hope that makes sense!
Wayne's early suggestion did make total sense, and I know it is a very valid suggestion that may work for many people but I just did not, and still do not, think it will help my given situation.

Oh, I just thought of something. When you are chasing him to put him back in his cage do you say anything while doing it? I think one of the biggest reasons Neelix likes biting other people is because he would bite my aunt and she would scream and react, so now he thinks that it's fun to harass others. (although another reason could be protecting his territory.) My point is, if you do have a reaction while chasing him try next time to make it as bland as possible so he doesn't find as much fun in it. Though he probably finds the chase exciting anyway, but if you are cursing at him that is definitely "fun" too.
Usually its I calmly walk to where he is perched and say "step up" calmly. Then he flies away and we do it over and over and over again.

I appreciate the kind words. Not all advice is for everyone and not all personalities mesh. Our fore fathers died for our freedom to choose, and thus I respect that immensely.

I took the advice that I am suggesting and it has paid off in spades thus just offering what has worked for me in this instance. I dont have multiple birds and probably will once time permits. But I will say one thing.....I will be doing TONNES of research on every foreseeable challenge that multiple bird ownership encompasses BEFORE I take on the challenge. It is only fair for the birds involved. I dont want to create something I dont want due to lack of planning. Obviously unforeseen problems/situations arise in every unique situation but if enough research is performed beforehand, this should help a great deal when dealing with unforeseen problems.
I hope to contribute more to this board as time permits and people dont get offended LOL One thing I am VERY strongly against is clipping and it might be a sore spot for some but birds are meant to fly and people shouldnt clip due to their OWN inability to properly train/condition the bird. Its a selfish, controling, mean, confidence destroying, thing to do to any bird. Also take away the absolute best way for a bird to gain exercise and you are jeopardizing the overall health of the bird. If you clip you shouldnt own. I hope others dont take this as picking a fight....its my opinion based on what I have seen and researched. If anyone wants a respectful debate/chat about the clipping issue I have no problem with it. Again cause opinions differ, there is no reason to be upset.

All the best.

Wayne
Okay, I just wanted to say. If I choose to clip for safety reasons for me or my birds that is TOTALLY fine. I am not breaking any laws by choosing to clip [which I have not, he's only been clipped once by me and that was because his ways almost got him killed by a dog] I'm not looking for a debate over the value of clipping or not clipping. If I wanted that I know for a fact I could go to the search bar on AA and find HUNDREDS of threads on it. I never once have asked whether I should clip or not clip. If you want to start a debate feel free to create a thread on it.

I just wanted this thread to be a good source of advice for myself and if other people were having the same issue [which judging by the PMs on facebook I have, MANY people do]. Now its just turned into people coming on here just to continue to stir the pot and start drama.

Mods please close this thread.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I feel your pain. I wish I knew a solution for the both of us. :hug8:

Wayne361

Real Name
Wayne

Really? I understand you're still grumpy with me over the facebook comments I made and the fact that I wouldn't argue with you when you sent me a private message over it but this has NOTHING to do with me not accepting advice. I've mentioned many times that I do know what the ups are to what he is saying. TRUST ME I know, I've used his method on quite a few animals before. But when asking for advice I have received NUMEROUS things to try. Now as the bird owner I now must choose what I think might work the best MY situation. I am not required to do every single thing that people recommend in this thread. When he posted I had other suggestions that I thought would work better for Dexter, so that's why I chose them.

Judging by this post I doubt you've even read my replies to know that the situation has changed completely and even Wayne mentioned a different solution because the clicker training isn't what necessarily will help with this one.

The "afraid to post" thing came AFTER he decided to be like oh if you aren't going to do it my way then I can take the bird if you want since it's turning into a rescue/rehome situation. If someone were to say that to you I know for a fact you'd blow up on them too.

All you're doing it trying to stir the pot because you have this immature little grudge over me because I wouldn't sit down and shut up like you wanted people to do. Sorry but your tactics will not work on me.

Wayne's early suggestion did make total sense, and I know it is a very valid suggestion that may work for many people but I just did not, and still do not, think it will help my given situation.

Usually its I calmly walk to where he is perched and say "step up" calmly. Then he flies away and we do it over and over and over again.

Okay, I just wanted to say. If I choose to clip for safety reasons for me or my birds that is TOTALLY fine. I am not breaking any laws by choosing to clip [which I have not, he's only been clipped once by me and that was because his ways almost got him killed by a dog] I'm not looking for a debate over the value of clipping or not clipping. If I wanted that I know for a fact I could go to the search bar on AA and find HUNDREDS of threads on it. I never once have asked whether I should clip or not clip. If you want to start a debate feel free to create a thread on it.

I just wanted this thread to be a good source of advice for myself and if other people were having the same issue [which judging by the PMs on facebook I have, MANY people do]. Now its just turned into people coming on here just to continue to stir the pot and start drama.

Mods please close this thread.
Obviously you have made other frends :) I didnt say clipping was against the law. Its just morally wrong. Now I wont debate a topic with you as you appear to be a very angry person. I hope whatever life events/work/people etc that have contributed to this you are able to deal with and hope your life calms down to a point where you are at peace with yourself and your surroundings.

All the best.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
It has nothing to do with me being an angry person. I have a lot going on in my life right now that I just very recently realized and my stress level is through the roof. Honestly this thread and the whole topic about it is the very least of my worries right now...

Wayne361

Real Name
Wayne
It has nothing to do with me being an angry person. I have a lot going on in my life right now that I just very recently realized and my stress level is through the roof. Honestly this thread and the whole topic about it is the very least of my worries right now...
Hope you are able to deal with the stress and things get back to normal sooner rather than later.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.