• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are pionus one person birds?

SewerGnat

Moving in
I’ve been researching a lot about pionus (specifically WCP) and would like to know how they are around other family members and people in your household. I’ve read various forums about their personalities and behaviours and have seen mixed answers on this topic. I would also like to know how they do around new people or people they don’t know very well. Do females do better than males with other people?

Last edited:

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Well, from my limited experience i can say my pionus is a very laid back fella, and he just as easily steps up for my mom, and my neighbour.. in generl they are sweet easy going birds :) but ofcourse there are specific personalitys :)

i think, Pionuses are amongst the more easier parrots to keep, perfect for “beginners” as they require time and atention, but nothing too much! They ike to be on their own as well :) i can say, without guild, that i can leave my pionus without atention for more then a day if need be (but ofcourse, this should not happen too often)

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would say yes, to a degree. They have a range of personalities from easy-going to much more aggressive - @Fuzzy's Kobe would launch flying attacks at her face. I don't think it's true to say that they are universally sweet and easy-going.

Leia is on the sweet and easy-going side of the spectrum. I am the person she seeks out to interact with. She will step up for my parents and they are allowed to scratch her head. She tolerates my partner and will step up, but only if an almond is on offer - and she checks! She is not interested in new people or people she doesn't know well. If they're tall she might land on their head, but she will not step up for them or really want anything to do with them. If they get too close or if she doesn't like the look of them, their voice or what they're wearing or doing, she will puff up and strut. She would probably bite if they tried to get her to step up or interact with her but I don't allow it to get to that point.

I think in general, parrots are wary of new people and are unpredictable in whether they choose a favourite or not. If you want a pet that is guaranteed to get along with all members of the family and to accept new people, a parrot is definitely not right for you.

SewerGnat

Moving in
Thank you for your replies! I definitely think this is a bird I want to look into even more now. Hopefully I’ll be able to find one at a shelter and get to meet multiple in person, to see if they really are I bird I’d like to keep.

Reactions: Ali

Nostromo

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I say it depends not only on the individual Pi but also the time of year and the age of the bird. A mature Pi going through a hormone surge is a different little being than a young Pi or a Pi during off-season. My girl is paired with my partner. She is never openly aggressive to me, just cranky and skeptical; but she'll seek me out for companionship if my partner isn't around, though it's obvious I'm just not as much fun! :p When she's hormonal, she gets crankier and more intense about seeking out my partner. She's never a fiercely jealous bird though, and she doesn't bite. She wants things her way but isn't as likely to fight to get it.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My WC chose me and partnered with me. No one else can touch him. He’s a 23 year old rescue.

My BH is friends with everyone. She’s younger and was raised by someone here on the forum. That’s probably the difference.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
My WC chose me and partnered with me. No one else can touch him. He’s a 23 year old rescue.

My BH is friends with everyone. She’s younger and was raised by someone here on the forum. That’s probably the difference.
I forget you have a pionus!

Juraf14

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Franklin
Well, from my limited experience i can say my pionus is a very laid back fella, and he just as easily steps up for my mom, and my neighbour.. in generl they are sweet easy going birds :) but ofcourse there are specific personalitys :)

i think, Pionuses are amongst the more easier parrots to keep, perfect for “beginners” as they require time and atention, but nothing too much carton déménagement! They ike to be on their own as well :) i can say, without guild, that i can leave my pionus without atention for more then a day if need be (but ofcourse, this should not happen too often)
Absolutely my father has them and I must say he is very docile.

Attachments

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
My pionus forgot to read the species manual and is certainly not a laidback, docile, easygoing bird. He's go go go all the time, and will absolutely throw down at a moment's notice. :rolleyes:

Provided it's from my hand to theirs, he'll generally step up for anyone, but that's where the cordiality ends. He will NOT step off another surface for anyone but me and I am also very strictly the only person allowed to touch or give him scritches. Even I'm on thin ice if he perceives me as getting between him and his girl.

He's a delightful and clever boy who has some very sweet moments, but still oh so hotheaded.