• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are all beans safe?

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
I'm starting a new diet soon for my two conures. The recipe calls for bean mix ("made from 16 beans soup mix ") but all I could find was a 5 bean mix. I figured this was fine and was going to start soaking them so I could cook them tomorrow but thought I would double check if all of them are safe. I seem to get confusing answers when I search this up and was looking to get others opinions on which ones (hopefully all) are safe (granted they are cooked properly). My mix has in it Pinto beans, Red chill beans, Chickpeas, Great northern beans, Black turtle beans. Now when I search if these ones are safe, nothing comes up for the Red chill beans, Great northern beans, Black turtle beans. I didn't even know some of the beans existed!
If anyone has experience or comments, it would be well appreciated (for a seriously paranoid parrot owner!)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Not all beans are safe, however the ones you listed should all be fine when well cooked.

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
Not all beans are safe, however the ones you listed should all be fine when well cooked.
Thanks for the response! I was really hoping they were okay as it was the only ones they had at the time. Thanks again!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can someone post me pictures of the chili beans please as all I can find is that they are usually kidney or pinto beans in a chili sauce or paste.... I can not seem to find an actual bean called chili bean.

The black turtle beans tell me they are the same as ordinary black beans only they're smaller than the black beans.

The great northern beans say they are similar to cannellini or navy beans only different sizes.

So, the second two descriptions make sense but it is bothering me that all I can find for chili beans is various beans cooked in chili :think1:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Can someone post me pictures of the chili beans please as all I can find is that they are usually kidney or pinto beans in a chili sauce or paste.... I can not seem to find an actual bean called chili bean.

The black turtle beans tell me they are the same as ordinary black beans only they're smaller than the black beans.

The great northern beans say they are similar to cannellini or navy beans only different sizes.

So, the second two descriptions make sense but it is bothering me that all I can find for chili beans is various beans cooked in chili :think1:
Yeah they are kidney beans :) they are popular in chili here. I'm assuming this is a dry mix.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh well then they should not be allowed to confuse me and call them chili beans :laugh:

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer

That's all I was getting for the chili beans as well, which concerned me. I will upload a couple pictures if that helps anyone. Not sure which ones are which
20200514_194409.jpg 20200514_194424.jpg
Yeah they are kidney beans :) they are popular in chili here. I'm assuming this is a dry mix.
Oh good! I figured such but wanted to make sure. And yes, a dry mix

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It is odd to call them chili beans I'll admit!