• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Apple cider vinegar for veggies

Joe Henderson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
Hi all , I have a quick question does the acv to clean veggies and fruit have to be the organic unfiltered one with mother or can it be the regular filtered one ,, also should I add baking soda to the soak? Thanks

BirdLady13

organic apple cider vinegar w/the mother

Momof3litt

I haven't heard of this, do you soak your raw veggies in an ACV dilution? What is the reason for doing it?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
The baking soda is not something I’d personally add, however, I have no clue if it might be helpful, problematic or simply do nothing. @Mizzely might know.
I only use ACV (with mother) on things like broccoli and sprouts where I can’t physically scrub or wipe the skins clean of anything that may be on them. I honestly have forgotten numerous times and have noticed no difference.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I use white vinegar. It does not need to be unfiltered or with the mother for ACV. I do not use baking soda.

1 part vinegar to 3 parts water. Swirl then soak for 10 minutes.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I use regular white or apple cider vinegar with all my sprouts, fruits and veggies. When you walk through the grocery store and see all these people touching every single apple to grab just one grosses me out. I soak in a dilution for about 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse. Also highly recommend for berries, keeps them from getting moldy

Joe Henderson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
The baking soda is not something I’d personally add, however, I have no clue if it might be helpful, problematic or simply do nothing. @Mizzely might know.
I only use ACV (with mother) on things like broccoli and sprouts where I can’t physically scrub or wipe the skins clean of anything that may be on them. I honestly have forgotten numerous times and have noticed no difference.
I can’t find anyone that uses baking soda (for their birds) but all the articles say it removes more then avc and I’ve read avc has to be used full avc not diluted with water.. ugh also interested in those little veggie cleaning devices some are ultrasonic you just put the device in the water with them and some use ozone but. In water , but can’t find anyone with expierence with those either

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I can’t find anyone that uses baking soda (for their birds) but all the articles say it removes more then avc and I’ve read avc has to be used full avc not diluted with water.. ugh also interested in those little veggie cleaning devices some are ultrasonic you just put the device in the water with them and some use ozone but. In water , but can’t find anyone with expierence with those either
There are very few veggies that you can’t wash basically the same way you (hand) wash dishes.
I personally don’t feel that soaking in ACV does much help for most fresh foods without the physical wiping or scrubbing- sprouts are a little different I think as the germs/bacteria you’re aiming to remove or minimise are from the water not other peoples germy mouths or hands.
I honestly feel sometimes we complicate things for our bird care like the food cleaning to give us a better feeling of security.
If the food is generally safe enough for us to eat then I feel it’s safe enough for my bird.

Joe Henderson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
There are very few veggies that you can’t wash basically the same way you (hand) wash dishes.
I personally don’t feel that soaking in ACV does much help for most fresh foods without the physical wiping or scrubbing- sprouts are a little different I think as the germs/bacteria you’re aiming to remove or minimise are from the water not other peoples germy mouths or hands.
I honestly feel sometimes we complicate things for our bird care like the food cleaning to give us a better feeling of security.
If the food is generally safe enough for us to eat then I feel it’s safe enough for my bird.
Yea it’s hard to scrub spinach or kale I like to put the veg in a salad spiner with the avc and water and spin it , I use Poland spring to because I feel using tap water without a sink filter would make it worse. Our bodies can handle much more because we are so much heavier they did some studies and showed some veggies had up to 25 dif pesticide! A lady’s gray died after eating a grape and the cause was pesticide posioning , so I try and be extra careful , and use organic , but u might be right and I’m just complicating things lol