• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another Amazon!

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
Kim and I donned masks and did a foster bird hand off yesterday in her yard. Bandit is a presumed wild caught yellow naped Amazon who has spent the last few years locked in a cage alone when his person became 'too busy' for him. I've made friends with a woman who has owned birds most of her life and lives just down the road from me, and she asked me to keep an eye out for an Amazon for her. So she came to visit Bandit yesterday, they sat on the front porch together while I sat in the yard. Very strange, but it worked!
Of course, Vanessa fell in love! So she's going to make payments on him, and he'll stay here until he's paid off. In the meantime, I get to enjoy him! He is very chatty and has a pretty good vocabulary. He really enjoys the other birds, though they only see each other through the cages. Chipper doesn't seem too fussed by him. He's basically a maniac all the time anyways, so it's hard to tell! Haha
Bandit steps up beautifully, and takes even tiny corn kernels gently and carefully. Ellen handed him a piece of sweet potato fry tonight, and he was just as careful and slow as he is with me. She was able to give Chipper one as well, which makes my heart swell. She is gaining confidence when I hold her hand around the birds, and Chipper has begun to see her as a food source. Lol
I'm so grateful to get to love Bandit for a few weeks, and I'm grateful that his new mommy loves him so much that she's going to visit every day that is warm enough to sit outside! received_2471245143092213.jpeg

Last edited:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Kim and I donned masks and did a foster bird hand off yesterday in her yard. Bandit is a presumed wild caught yellow naped Amazon who has spent the last few years locked in a cage alone when his person became 'too busy' for him. I've made friends with a woman who has owned birds most of her life and lives just down the road from me, and she asked me to keep an eye out for an Amazon for her. So she came to visit Bandit yesterday, they sat on the front porch together while I sat in the yard. Very strange, but it worked!
Of course, Vanessa fell in love! So she's going to make payments on him, and he'll stay here until he's paid off. In the meantime, I get to enjoy him! He is very chatty and has a pretty good vocabulary. He really enjoys the other birds, though they only see each other through the cages. Chipper doesn't seem too fussed by him. He's basically a maniac all the time anyways, so it's hard to tell! Haha
Bandit steps up beautifully, and takes even tiny corn kernels gently and carefully. Ellen handed him a piece of sweet potato fry tonight, and he was just as careful and slow as he is with me. She was able to give Chipper one as well, which makes my heart swell. She is gaining confidence when I hold her hand around the birds, and Chipper has begun to see her as a food source. Lol
I'm so grateful to get to love Bandit for a few weeks, and I'm grateful that his new mommy loves him so much that she's going to visit every day that is warm enough to sit outside! View attachment 333012
He is so cute! It breaks my heart that such a gentle, intelligent creature was locked up and ignored.

I've recently developed an obsession with amazons, they are a fascinating breed.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
He is so cute! It breaks my heart that such a gentle, intelligent creature was locked up and ignored.

I've recently developed an obsession with amazons, they are a fascinating breed.
They are quickly becoming a favorite of ours too! He has boat loads of personality. I find it helpful to talk out loud to him about my own fears and ways I'm intimidated by him. I think I've read too many Amazon horror stories! I gave him plenty of treats before I asked him to step up, and so I think that helped us both build trust. He's a lot of bird to handle, but I think he'll fit into a family really well. The home he's going to has a teenager, but no small kids. He doesn't seem fazed by them though!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Amazons are fabulous.

They go with the flow.

Pinning eyes and flaring tails are GREAT signs to back off.

Opera songs are just icing on the cake. Now, if I can get Secret to stop the crow mimic

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a great story! He's spectacular. YNAs have always been a huge fave for me. I would have a big problem giving him up.
:heart::birdance::heart:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
You sound busy as ever! He sounds like a character!

How's Chipper doing? Anything to update?

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
He looks very good for being neglected somewhat. Was there a ransom for him as to why you are taking payments for him?
The woman who is adopting him is laid off for a few weeks due to the virus, so money is tight in the short term, but she didn't want to let him slip away. So we decided that if she put a little bit of money towards him when she could, that would be OK with us!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
He put his head down for scritches and allowed me to preen a pinnie! He's much more at ease with another bird around.
He's beautiful. You are much braver than I... I'll scratch their heads and give them a neck massage but I'm never going to preen a pinnie! Their reflexes are too quick!

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
He's beautiful. You are much braver than I... I'll scratch their heads and give them a neck massage but I'm never going to preen a pinnie! Their reflexes are too quick!
I know! If I accidentally hurt a pin I may get a very small nip which hardly leaves a mark so I risk it, but an Amazon? I don’t think so. :lol::bvryafd: