• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another Amazon!

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
He's beautiful. You are much braver than I... I'll scratch their heads and give them a neck massage but I'm never going to preen a pinnie! Their reflexes are too quick!
He was in the cage, which gave me more courage lol Plus, he was really begging for love. I wonder how many years it's been since someone has scratched his fluffy cheeks or opened up a feather on the very top of his head? His family visited again yesterday and I have them lots of time alone. They fed him corn and played him music and had a great time.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
He was in the cage, which gave me more courage lol Plus, he was really begging for love. I wonder how many years it's been since someone has scratched his fluffy cheeks or opened up a feather on the very top of his head? His family visited again yesterday and I have them lots of time alone. They fed him corn and played him music and had a great time.

One of the worst bites I've had from Henry was through the cage bars. He was behaving super threatening, it was a day I just couldn't deal with it, which is rare, so I made him go in his cage. He was so flared up I wanted to leave on a positive note and asked him if I could scratch his head ( he knows the words and what they mean) and he bowed his head. I started scratching the top of his head with one finger and in a split second he grabbed my finger and wouldn't let go. ( he's never been a sneaky biter) That was one of those "Puncture the finger" holds. I didn't have any feeling in that finger for around 3 months ( really thought I had permanent damage). Nope... never again....not in a friendly mood? Walk away.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Just amazons as far as I know.
Pionus have a scent too but I don't know if they do it when they are happy or if it's a scent they just have all the time. I could walk in a house where a macaw lives, not know they have one and but yet know they have one by the scent. I haven't sniffed one for so many years!

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Pionus have a scent too but I don't know if they do it when they are happy or if it's a scent they just have all the time. I could walk in a house where a macaw lives, not know they have one and but yet know they have one by the scent. I haven't sniffed one for so many years!
:jawdrop1: Wow! Seriously! That's talent!

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Bandit said clear as day "Hi Chipper! Look at that big bird! Beautiful! Muah!"
He goes to his new home tomorrow, but I'm secretly hoping he chats about Chipper all the time. Lol I'll probably bring Chipper over for a visit as soon as the stay at home order is lifted. Bandit got his nails done at the vet today and was apparently an angel. What the vet forgot to mention was that they also planned on doing a wellness check... The most expensive nail trim I've ever paid for! :darn: Thankfully, Kim will reimburse me! It didn't feel great after just dropping $700 at the same vet less than 12 hours prior to have our pug put down. And now I have to say goodbye to Bandit tomorrow too. I'm so happy for him and for his new family, but I sure do need a hug or twelve!!

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea

I asked Dan to take a video so I could show his new mommy, and as a confidence boost to myself should I ever find myself apprehensive about handling a large bird. Dan said today he's really proud of me for helping now a total of 5 birds find homes and for learning so much about how to be a better bird owner. Handling an Amazon like this is symbolic of all the hard work I've put in! And side note...I've never really been nervous about handling Chipper..?.. Maybe that's a good indication of the fact that we're meant to be together forever! I hope to gain confidence with macaws at Kim's house this summer, as they still scare the snot out of me!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

I asked Dan to take a video so I could show his new mommy, and as a confidence boost to myself should I ever find myself apprehensive about handling a large bird. Dan said today he's really proud of me for helping now a total of 5 birds find homes and for learning so much about how to be a better bird owner. Handling an Amazon like this is symbolic of all the hard work I've put in! And side note...I've never really been nervous about handling Chipper..?.. Maybe that's a good indication of the fact that we're meant to be together forever! I hope to gain confidence with macaws at Kim's house this summer, as they still scare the snot out of me!
Good Job!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
My macaws put off a fruity smell sometimes.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Such a good job Chelsea!

Oh how I want Bandit. :/

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Bandit went home today! He stepped right up to his new mom and his teenage sister. I couldn't believe my eyes when I heard his mom say "I love you, Bandit. Gimme kiss!" and I looked over to see Bandit giving her a big smooch right on the lips! Match made in Heaven right there!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
So sorry he's left you.

Bright side, maybe she'll need a sitter?

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Wow I never knew this! Is that just Amazons or do other birds do this as well? My tiels aren't tame so I don't really sniff them :laughin:
Pionus do it too, I think they are somewhat related to each other.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is the Maple scent different for different species of Amazon's? Buddy doesn't smell like maple syrup...

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Neither of mine smell like flowers or syrup.... It's "Oh de Amazone Parfuhme"..:pinkgrin:
Don't you wish you could bottle the scent? I could just see my self smothered in Amazon scent and attracting a while bunch of amazons. Especially if it's hormonal season....Lol...ruuuunnnnn!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Smells differ for each amazon.