• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

AMAZONS

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Thanks!

He was a rescue from a place called WPR and wasn't one of the memorable birds so ... *shrug* but the vet thinks he's in his late 30s early 40s.

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, I am loving this thread... I always wanted to see all those gorgeous Zons, but our zon parronts are too busy with their babies to post pics. Lol.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Does he get hormonal or aggressive at times??
I wouldn't call him a hormonal bird. He's lunged at things that scared him, like towels ... but aggressive as in flying at you? No, I wouldn't describe him that way at all. Since we moved last year the bird arrangement has changed and he's nailed my hand twice because I walked too close to the DYAs cage for his comfort, but that's really rare. He's a very gentle sweet bird.

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Is there an Amazon that DOESN'T?
I think this year has been the worst for Lucy and hormones. Shes not aggressive at all thankfully but you cant go near her without her going into her mating sounds and fluttering and all that.
We've had to take away 2 different toys that she was trying to mate with. I think its about over though, she let me hold her tonight without going into her mating ritual.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire

Manny2000

Meeting neighbors
Mealies are very rare Amazons I've researched them a lot. They aren't bred as much today. There are usually Adults available for sale. Last time I saw a baby Mealy was 3 years ago for sale on Bird breeders. There are usually 20+year-old Mealies on Petfinder. Mostly wild-caught. @Love My Zons

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Mealies are very rare Amazons I've researched them a lot. They aren't bred as much today. There are usually Adults available for sale. Last time I saw a baby Mealy was 3 years ago for sale on Bird breeders. There are usually 20+year-old Mealies on Petfinder. Mostly wild-caught. @Love My Zons
Kazoo was purchased as a baby. I got him at the end of August 2009. He hatched May 22, 2009.

I do not believe the breeder he is from has them anymore the breeding pair. Prices have gone up, he was $900, now they are in the $1900 range.