• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

AMAZONS

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
@txdyna65 -- I know I've been away from many birds for way too long... but, is Lucy a Yellow Crowned Amazon? Something other than a Y. Nape?
Sorry, no offense.. she is beautiful!

If I ever got another Amazon, can't decide on which variety... Would prefer a Timneh African Grey instead! Again, no offense from this former Zon's owner-- [Dbl Y. Head/ Blue Front/ Yellow Nape]. :xflove:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
How was your experience raising your Amazons in their puberty stage did their personalities change?? @Love My Zons
No problems at all. Both are so even keeled it's not funny. Both are so hands on, like little green dogs. Both very independent, gentle, and most of all very happy birds.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
@txdyna65 -- I know I've been away from many birds for way too long... but, is Lucy a Yellow Crowned Amazon? Something other than a Y. Nape?
Sorry, no offense.. she is beautiful!

If I ever got another Amazon, can't decide on which variety... Would prefer a Timneh African Grey instead! Again, no offense from this former Zon's owner-- [Dbl Y. Head/ Blue Front/ Yellow Nape]. :xflove:
No she is a Yellow Nape, she does have the yellow on top of her head. and no offense taken :)

Here is a pic showing her nape

lucy aviary 1.jpg Lucy 6 28 20.jpg

Shes a bit of a ham most times and loves the camera

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Secret HATES my phone, that's why it's hard to get pictures here.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
@Gandolf Great pictures, love your birds color, wish I could take my Lucy out in nature like that.

BirdView

Strolling the yard
@Gandolf I heard older Amazons become overweight and don't like fly much but still how can you make sure he will not get scared and fly away?

MealyZon

Checking out the neighborhood
This is my Mealy named Howie. I got her a year ago from the Recycler from a guy who had raised her from a baby. He thought she was a boy so he named her Howie. Then he tried to breed her too soon. She just turned 5 y/o & I have totally fallen in love with her :heart: When I first got her, we went to an Avian vet & had every possible blood test done. Sooo expensive :wideyed: but worth knowing she wasn’t harboring any diseases. She allows me to scratch her head (she makes requests by putting her down on on the table), she is very quiet but has an outburst for a short time about every 3 days. She talks a little and always mimics someone laughing :roflmao:
Never bitten me, but has put her beak around my finger with slight pressure… a big bluffer! I think the cutest thing she does is when she’s on my hand and I go to put her down either on the back of a chair by a window, or on her tree stand, or on her play area on my coffee table she lets me know if that’s where she wants to go by either getting off my hand OR by lifting her open flat foot really high (beak level) to let me know “not here” Lol. So I move from place to place and ask her “Here?” and she’ll lift her foot really high and I say “Oh okay, not here.” And so this continues until she gets off my hand at her desired location. Just so intelligent! Thanks for reading my looong post. I got really excited when I saw you were talking about & sharing photos of Mealys! I don’t know anyone who has one & I've 6BC4455E-3E3C-460F-9E80-D1C808E411B0.jpeg learned everything online.
2CDBC603-B515-4083-9AA8-1E2CC7FB0767.jpeg DDA38B6A-B12B-4487-A050-6B5E43B852DC.jpeg

Last edited:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Howie is beautiful! Mealies are the best!

MealyZon

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you for indulging me in my show-n-tell macawpower58!:) Regarding macaws, about 20 years ago I scritched on a baby greenwing macaw in a parrot store and thought I couldn’t leave or live without it. But I had to. I knew the noise factor would doom me where I lived.
You are so fortunate that you can have a macaw(s)! They are amazing. I love the way they are made with unbelievable colors, huge beautiful beaks and of course their intelligence. I still want that baby (no longer) greenwing I saw!:arghh: The attachment I felt in the store was so intense.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for indulging me in my show-n-tell macawpower58!:) Regarding macaws, about 20 years ago I scritched on a baby greenwing macaw in a parrot store and thought I couldn’t leave or live without it. But I had to. I knew the noise factor would doom me where I lived.
You are so fortunate that you can have a macaw(s)! They are amazing. I love the way they are made with unbelievable colors, huge beautiful beaks and of course their intelligence. I still want that baby (no longer) greenwing I saw!:arghh: The attachment I felt in the store was so intense.
I can totally understand that feeling, felt same way about an Alexander parakeet... Still I think about him. Your zon has beautiful eyes.