• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazon breathing heavily

Dumplings

Sitting on the front steps
Tonight I found he gasps more often... And he made some little moans before sleep, he was calm at that time. Also I shoot a video of him breathing asleep. I do find his belly up and down... is that a kind of heavy breath?
The video is in google drive:

Dumplings

IMG_20211010_230001.jpg is this a healthy tail angle? He shivers a little bit during rest...is that normal?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I can't remember if I ever looked at Secret sideways....

I'll try to look tonight.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
First time my Mealy Amazon squatted down, wings out, head back, whole body shuddering.....I rang the vet!
They laughed and said he was 'getting it on'. :wideyed:
Lol, those kinds of calls are one of the best parts of working at a vet. You get to reassure someone their pet is fine, teach them something new, AND you get a fun story to share later.

We had a client bring in a puppy once, very concerned because his urine was yellow. Sadly, we didn't think to ask what color she expected it to be, but she was adorably relieved to learn it was totally normal. (Plus, we got to hold a puppy! Win!)

Dumplings

@melissasparrots @Elysian

Would you mind take a look at the new video I uploaded with title "new heavy breath". I found Charlie having those more often... though he behaved fine during vet check. You will see Charlie pinning pupils and puffing feathers before taking the deep breath.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I didn't really hear anything this time, but I'll have to listen again when my house is quieter.. he looks ok to me, but I'm not an expert!

Dumplings

I didn't really hear anything this time, but I'll have to listen again when my house is quieter.. he looks ok to me, but I'm not an expert!
It's at the beginning of the vid and also around 30s

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
When he was vet checked did the vet listen to his lungs with a stethoscope? And if so did it sound normal? Or was there irregularities? Was the vet you saw an avian vet? From the beginning of your post the first thing came to mind was a respiratory infection but the responses about it being hormones makes more sense and I've seen that with my OWA (hormonal- eyes pinning and making a weird guttural sound while holding a leg up- I do not touch her inappropriately). Look at his nares do they look clear?

Sometimes illness will become aparent when the bird is stressed and his/her immune system is taxed due to the stress. When I first brought Izzy home she went the vet and he heard a I regularity in one of her lungs and prescribed an antibiotics for her. She was sneezing and did seem to have heavy breathing when she became stressed( the car ride to the vet she had her beak open a little). We did the vet visit because I was concerned about her sneezing and age incase she was I'll. She was diagnosed with an URI was treated for it.
Something weird about her gram stain was it came back with no bad bacteria.

Adding a bird safe humidifier would be helpful especially with this winters dry air. I've provided a heated perch for mine and she loves it - shell use it all year round- if she's gets a chill or wants a little extra warmth she just hops on it(I wrapped it with vet wrap to give cushion and gripping).

You have a beautiful Amazon and I wish you both many healthy years to come!

Dumplings

When he was vet checked did the vet listen to his lungs with a stethoscope? And if so did it sound normal? Or was there irregularities? Was the vet you saw an avian vet? From the beginning of your post the first thing came to mind was a respiratory infection but the responses about it being hormones makes more sense and I've seen that with my OWA (hormonal- eyes pinning and making a weird guttural sound while holding a leg up- I do not touch her inappropriately). Look at his nares do they look clear?

Sometimes illness will become aparent when the bird is stressed and his/her immune system is taxed due to the stress. When I first brought Izzy home she went the vet and he heard a I regularity in one of her lungs and prescribed an antibiotics for her. She was sneezing and did seem to have heavy breathing when she became stressed( the car ride to the vet she had her beak open a little). We did the vet visit because I was concerned about her sneezing and age incase she was I'll. She was diagnosed with an URI was treated for it.
Something weird about her gram stain was it came back with no bad bacteria.

Adding a bird safe humidifier would be helpful especially with this winters dry air. I've provided a heated perch for mine and she loves it - shell use it all year round- if she's gets a chill or wants a little extra warmth she just hops on it(I wrapped it with vet wrap to give cushion and gripping).

You have a beautiful Amazon and I wish you both many healthy years to come!
Yes he is avian vet and he listened to his lungs. No obvious problems detected. Charlie only do this occasionally but recently more often. Blood tests and other tests were ordered but I have not yet gotten the result.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I didn't hear anything alarming. Amazons make a lot of weird breathing noises that would be cause for concern in any other species. It's hard to advise over the internet because the same noise that is normal, can also be abnormal in a different situation. Your bird's body language and overall appearance seems healthy. If the vet didn't find anything wrong, I'd be inclined to think these are just normal amazon noises.

Dumplings

Blood Tests results are also good. I probably worried too much. Thank you all for help!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING