• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazon breathing heavily

Dumplings

Sitting on the front steps
Hi,

I am a bit confusing on the behavior of my yellow headed amazon Charlie. I just adopted him 2 days ago and he is 8 years old.
Tonight when I carried him on my arm, he suddenly pupil earthquake and have 3-4 heavy breath in one mins. Its like sucking air deeply with a large sound that can be heard from one meter away (normally we cant hear bird breathing can we?). Then I dropped him, and within one hour he did the deep breath for another 2-3 times. Now he is sleepy and he looks fine. Is this normal? I did make an appointment with vet but it is 2 weeks after.
I do not have experience with large parrot before... I only had cockatiels. I also find Charlie often squats down on perch and slightly shivers his wings. Is this something unusual?

Thank you!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

Dumplings

This morning I played some bird video with him and he got very excited and made breath with sound 3-4 times, they were always with pupil earthquake.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Check out this thread about amazons

Dumplings

Sure sounds like breeding mode to me.
Thank you!
What sounds like breeding mode? The breath or the squats down motion? Just messaged his previous owner and was told he has not been DNA tested before XD, so he may actually be a girl.
He made those hearable breath mostly when he was excited, as far as I can tell..

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you!
What sounds like breeding mode? The breath or the squats down motion? Just messaged his previous owner and was told he has not been DNA tested before XD, so he may actually be a girl.
He made those hearable breath mostly when he was excited, as far as I can tell..
All of it. The breathing, pinning pupils, squating, wing shivers. It's all things they do when sexually frustrated. If you are touching him/her any place except head, neck or feet you need to stop. All other touching can trigger sexual desires.

Dumplings

All of it. The breathing, pinning pupils, squating, wing shivers. It's all things they do when sexually frustrated. If you are touching him/her any place except head, neck or feet you need to stop. All other touching can trigger sexual desires.
He only allows me to touch his beak. I will probably quit touching.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could you get a video of him doing the behavior? Anyone that has seen hormonal behavior from amazons before will recognize it. However, since I can't see what he's doing, it's hard to say for sure that it isn't illness.

Dumplings

Could you get a video of him doing the behavior? Anyone that has seen hormonal behavior from amazons before will recognize it. However, since I can't see what he's doing, it's hard to say for sure that it isn't illness.
Don't know how to share video here. I upload two in my google drive so anyone can click in. One features his breath, especially when I put my phone back in his cage. The other features his squatting. Thank you!

Dumplings

Charlie is kind of quite and sitting on perch all day if we don't try hard to get him out of cage.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Charlie is kind of quite and sitting on perch all day if we don't try hard to get him out of cage.
Watch when he moves.

Secret has time periods. For instance, she knows after 5 when people are here is her out of cage time. She gets vocal if ignored.

Dumplings

His previous owner said he is mocking her because she breaths heavily... I am kind of confused...

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't see any hormonal like heavy breathing in the video. The video of him squatting looks like an amazon that wants to go somewhere else. He may or may not want to step up on you, but he's feeling like he'd rather be somewhere other than where he is at that moment. If he was breathing heavy in the video, it may well be a physical problem instead of a hormonal one.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I think I kind of heard the breath you are talking about in the breathing video.. kind of like a soft hiss or deflating sound?

I am not an expert so I'm glad you have a vet appt scheduled, but if that is the noise you mean.. it kind of sounds like a noise my senegal started making not long after I adopted him.

It terrified me at first thinking he was either having breathing issues or was angry enough to actually hiss at me.. ..turns out he is almost definitely mimicking me breathing through my nose. I can sniff at him and he'll do it back right after.

Dumplings

I don't see any hormonal like heavy breathing in the video. The video of him squatting looks like an amazon that wants to go somewhere else. He may or may not want to step up on you, but he's feeling like he'd rather be somewhere other than where he is at that moment. If he was breathing heavy in the video, it may well be a physical problem instead of a hormonal one.
Thank you! he is not constantly breathing heavy, it is just one or two shots. He does not have those classical heavy breath symptoms like tail bobbing or wheezing. I guess if he is not getting worse I will not go to ER and just wait for the appointment with vet to give him a full check up.

Dumplings

I think I kind of heard the breath you are talking about in the breathing video.. kind of like a soft hiss or deflating sound?

I am not an expert so I'm glad you have a vet appt scheduled, but if that is the noise you mean.. it kind of sounds like a noise my senegal started making not long after I adopted him.

It terrified me at first thinking he was either having breathing issues or was angry enough to actually hiss at me.. ..turns out he is almost definitely mimicking me breathing through my nose. I can sniff at him and he'll do it back right after.
Yah that is the sound I am talking about. It is kind of scary especially for who is not experienced like me. Its a relief to know that they can really mimic the breathing. I do make deflating sound sometimes due to rhinitis.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
If I had a dollar for every time I was scared by my parrots.....

I can still recall the first few days they were both here and Secret's beak grinding. I thought she was deathly ill and her beak was doing that chattering sound from chills . . . .

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
First time my Mealy Amazon squatted down, wings out, head back, whole body shuddering.....I rang the vet!
They laughed and said he was 'getting it on'. :wideyed: