• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Air Fryer warning!!!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
This bird might be extra tough, or might not be as healthy as they think because they probably aren't taking it to an actual avian vet who knows what to actually look for.

Anyway the thing about Teflon etc. is that it generally only starts off-gassing significantly once it reaches a certain temperature, or is damaged or whatever. So sometimes it might be fine. But using it is basically playing the odds that someone won't accidentally set the oven too high, or leave an empty pan to preheat on the stove, or turn on the wrong burner and heat up the wrong thing, or the electronic gadget won't malfunction and heat up too high, etc. etc. And we don't really know how much trace stuff is released at supposedly safe temperatures. It's just safer to look for options that are safe even if they get hotter than expected. I have nonstick cookware that is stone-based instead of PTFE/PFOA. My rice cooker is stainless, my slow cooker is ceramic, my pressure cooker is stainless.

Air fresheners and scented products are just a bad idea regardless.

I hadn't heard about parchment paper being dangerous though. @Solayan how often do we actually put parchment paper in the oven?
2 Amazon parrots died recently from a turkey bag.

My amazons survived my cooking in bags but it really isn't worth it.

I'll continue to whine and speak out against smells in my house for them.

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
Look, all I'm saying is there are different situations for everyone. If you have a large home with great ventilation and you have a special room just for the birds, we don't have to throw out our favorite rice cooker that cost me $200. I don't know if I want to say no more waffles from my professional waffle maker from Williams Sonoma. The birds can go in the back room. I can turn the fan over the stove on.

I don't use fragrances but I will vacuum with HEPA filter twice a day. I use vinegar/water to wash and clean the carpet. If I have to scrub I use baking soda. The birds' room never has a smell, except that really good bird smell...to me like fresh baked bread or hay.

I think there must be a happy medium. I don't like feeling like freaking or feeling paranoid all the time that something I do may kill the birds I love. I try using common sense and use everyone here, my vet, or google to figure things out. I don't like feeling like an extremist.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Look, all I'm saying is there are different situations for everyone. If you have a large home with great ventilation and you have a special room just for the birds, we don't have to throw out our favorite rice cooker that cost me $200. I don't know if I want to say no more waffles from my professional waffle maker from Williams Sonoma. The birds can go in the back room. I can turn the fan over the stove on.

I don't use fragrances but I will vacuum with HEPA filter twice a day. I use vinegar/water to wash and clean the carpet. If I have to scrub I use baking soda. The birds' room never has a smell, except that really good bird smell...to me like fresh baked bread or hay.

I think there must be a happy medium. I don't like feeling like freaking or feeling paranoid all the time that something I do may kill the birds I love. I try using common sense and use everyone here, my vet, or google to figure things out. I don't like feeling like an extremist.

This is exactly why we get rid of the stuff - "just in case" and so we don't have to worry about it. There are enough other potential dangers in the house. $200? Really? That doesn't even cover a well-bird checkup. Would you be glad you saved that $200 rice cooker if you lost even 1 bird? Or all of them? There's no price tag on the love we have for our birds, and if they somehow survive but become ill, the vet bills will be MUCH higher than $200! Just not worth the risk.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
There is a happy medium.

Birds are well, well, well away if you use those things.

My biggest fear is I die and someone else doesn't know better and uses them close by.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Belgian waffle maker at target was PTFE/PFOA free and considerably less. Grandsons are addicted to those on mornings at grandma's house.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree that there is a happy medium with bird safety, but IMO there is no room for Teflon in it. There have been plenty of cases of birds dying from Teflon fumes even in separate rooms. Even upstairs. You're right that everyone has to make their own decisions, but I guess I'm confused as to why you'd be questioning one of the most basic, consistent safety recommendations because you found out that someone who pretty blatantly treats their bird poorly hasn't caused it to die yet...

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I agree that there is a happy medium with bird safety, but IMO there is no room for Teflon in it. There have been plenty of cases of birds dying from Teflon fumes even in separate rooms. Even upstairs. You're right that everyone has to make their own decisions, but I guess I'm confused as to why you'd be questioning one of the most basic, consistent safety recommendations because you found out that someone who pretty blatantly treats their bird poorly hasn't caused it to die yet...

Yes, it reminds me of petting zoo mentality. We used to bring alpacas to some of the local fairs to display and sell products. We would see petting zoos with llamas unshorn in the heat of summer and suggest to the owner that they shear them as it's too hot with all that fibre (warmer than sheeps' wool). Their response: "I haven't lost one yet." Well, what a high standard of success! :sour: I'd rather my animals be happy and comfortable, not just barely surviving.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Last edited:

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
If you run the air fryer for some time (away from the birds) does it ever stop emitting the toxins? I have an air fryer that I don't use often but I was hoping to start using it to try to get on a bit of a healthier diet. I live alone so it's kind of a waste to heat up the entire oven to cook two chicken strips lol and ovens are harmful as well aren't they? How do bird people cook anything? Most of my "cooking" is done in the microwave but I don't understand how people who have families cook with birds in the house. My apartment is small and really has no ventilation so I have to be careful about what I use. At the moment I feel like I'll just be stuck with microwave food. I always hear about all the things we shouldn't use but I have no idea what good replacements would be.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If you run the air fryer for some time (away from the birds) does it ever stop emitting the toxins? I have an air fryer that I don't use often but I was hoping to start using it to try to get on a bit of a healthier diet. I live alone so it's kind of a waste to heat up the entire oven to cook two chicken strips lol and ovens are harmful as well aren't they? How do bird people cook anything? Most of my "cooking" is done in the microwave but I don't understand how people who have families cook with birds in the house. My apartment is small and really has no ventilation so I have to be careful about what I use. At the moment I feel like I'll just be stuck with microwave food. I always hear about all the things we shouldn't use but I have no idea what good replacements would be.

after an oven has been run to off gas the first time, there is no teflon, etc in there to emit gasses unless you put a teflon baking sheet in there.

Contact the manufacturer and ask if there is any teflon in it.

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
I keep my birds in my room , which is on the other side of the house because I’m afraid of them dying from something like this, if I’m unsure a little I close my door and turn my fan on and even open my bedroom window. I really get nervous about stuff like this, and I really want a air fryer I’ll definitely make sure it’s ceramic

Shmall

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anita
Talking about air fryers. Does anyone have one that they have used and like a lot? Of course, one without teflon. I would really like to have one, but for example...I called Phillips about their viva collection and they told me that they cannot confirm if it has teflon on it but that it was very safe. Anyways, I am scared of buying others without input because there is a ton of companies that cannot "verify" if their products have teflon or not.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I use stainless steel in all my pots and pans. We've always have so there wasn't much of a change there. The biggest change has been my crock pot (new one) which has the temp, low/high, timing, delayed timing, etc. I can't use that. I use my second to oldest which is ceramic. I don't use un-natural conditioner in my hair any longer. I use coconut oil. It actually works better. I don't use any auto bread makers or waffle irons in the house any longer. I am, though allowed to use it in my back patio with a fan running and the sliding door closed. It's not too much of an inconvenience as long as all the birds are in the home and there is plenty of room. I'm not allowed to use my straight iron in the house either. I do use it in my garage, in my aviary during the winter when there are no birds around and the fan is on.

I feel there can be ways we can work around it. I do use my rice cooker. It cooks on my second patio by the hot tub. lol. I don't care. Just away from the house. period. Oh and by the way, BBQ'ing, we don't do that too much like we used to any longer. We don't like the smoke getting to our birds.