• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Air Fryer warning!!!

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
I just don't trust Teflon.
Wouldn't have anything that has PTFE in it on it in any manner or form. Should be banned.

John57

Meeting neighbors
Teflon coated airfryer under normal operation is not a big risk unless there is a malfunction of temperature control. However that is not the main reason i replacing mine. Teflon can flake off and being in a airflyer, the pieces can fly around until it hits the operating heating coil usually on top and it will turn into gas which could kill the bird. I had a George Foreman grill that has a ceramic coating and even that the ceramic coating has burned off.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Bringing this back up. I just got one yesterday. I have searched and searched and multiple sites and descriptions show these are: The one in particular is the Ninja air fryer.

• 4-quart ceramic-coated nonstick basket and crisper plate
  • Ceramic-coated basket is nonstick, PTFE/PFOA free and easy to clean

Even though this says what it does as being free of PTFE and PFOA being ceramic coated.

What are everyone's thoughts on this is it's listed to be free of both?

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
Bringing this back up. I just got one yesterday. I have searched and searched and multiple sites and descriptions show these are: The one in particular is the Ninja air fryer.

• 4-quart ceramic-coated nonstick basket and crisper plate
  • Ceramic-coated basket is nonstick, PTFE/PFOA free and easy to clean

Even though this says what it does as being free of PTFE and PFOA being ceramic coated.

What are everyone's thoughts on this is it's listed to be free of both?
IMO it is safe to use. The biggest problem with Teflon is burning it by using to high heat for cooking.

John57

Meeting neighbors
One possible issue with the Ninja air fryer is that it is a single basket not a dual basket with a inter and outer basket. Usually the heated air from the top to the food and then thru the slits on the side or the bottom and then to the outer basket and out. This seems to have a riser plate since there is no way for the grease to drain out. Reviews now days do not seem to be as reliable.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have a Cooks Companion AF that is ceramic coated, also, it is one basket with a crisping disc. I have used it severaltimes and not a problem with Miss Priss

John57

Meeting neighbors
I look at the Cooks Companion AF briefly on Google and the manual came up first. The manual states that using tongs to turn the food over is the better way. My guess, as not to scratch the ceramic nonstick. However the manual shows a photo of a all metal Spatula being used. The manual does warn not to use metal kitchen utensils with this cookware. My metal tong has 4 inches of soft silicone length for the tips. I did heard that the customer service is very good. Best air fryer consensus? - Blogs & Forums
My first air fryer which was small, had the crisping insert with the rubber tips as not to scratch the nonstick but one of my rubber tips fell off one day and never seen it again.

I have the George foreman grill that has the white ceramic coating on it. I use the Sear function a dozen times on it and the ceramic coating burn off and the pork that I was using stick like glue on the plates and I have to tear the meat off. I called customer service and they send me a new grill and I stop using the Sear function which is always on a internal program timer and the ceramic coating last much longer. Just a small burn spot in the middle of the plates. The latest ceramic spray on coating is copper tint.

Farberware 3.2
I am on my third Air Fryer to replace the Teflon coating on my Farberware 3.2 because of our new family member, Rosie to drive my interest in the safest Air-Fry that I can find.