• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Air Bubble In Crop

kelseyk

Checking out the neighborhood
My budgie was born 3 days ago. I use a syringe to feed it. I feed it 0.2-0.4ml each feed every 2-3 hours. There is an air bubble in its crop since 2 days ago. It seems getting bigger since last night. I fed it every 2-3 hours for about 0.2-0.4ml each feeding. Would you please let me know how to help release the bubble? The photo 0219 was from yesterday. The rest of the photos are from today after feeding.

Thank you!

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Awww.....im sorry this isn't something I know how to help...

But hopefully someone who knows more will come find the post.

But an Avian veterinarian is always a good resource.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The most likely cause of this is hand feeding too slowly. The chick gulps down air while trying to eat.
To correct it, you can massage the air out, but you must do it on a crop with no formula in or the formula will come up and the chick with aspirate on it. Be very gently. If you are unsure or nervous, take the bird to the vet in a heated critter carrier/tank and get them to do it. Alternatively call and see if a home visit could be an option for such young chicks.

Sometimes a little air will come into the crop (not as much as your photo) and will go as the contents of the crop are digested.

If you feed the chick and there´s an air bubble, and it grows over time as the contents empty, that could be a sign of infection. Seek vet help ASAP.

Awww.....im sorry this isn't something I know how to help...
It´s ok to not post. There is restricted posting on this forum for a reason, to keep it as clutter free and as helpful as possible.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I was doing to bump, but with care

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Take is slow and steady. Some chicks just bob like crazy when presented with food and they just fill up with air. You can gently push it out but like Zara said the crop must be empty.

kelseyk

Checking out the neighborhood
The most likely cause of this is hand feeding too slowly. The chick gulps down air while trying to eat.
To correct it, you can massage the air out, but you must do it on a crop with no formula in or the formula will come up and the chick with aspirate on it. Be very gently. If you are unsure or nervous, take the bird to the vet in a heated critter carrier/tank and get them to do it. Alternatively call and see if a home visit could be an option for such young chicks.

Sometimes a little air will come into the crop (not as much as your photo) and will go as the contents of the crop are digested.

If you feed the chick and there´s an air bubble, and it grows over time as the contents empty, that could be a sign of infection. Seek vet help ASAP.

It´s ok to not post. There is restricted posting on this forum for a reason, to keep it as clutter free and as helpful as possible.
Thank you for your help. I will see if I can find any home visit. It is living in a temperature controlled brooder and would be hard to travel.