• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

After-vacation aggression

diitrex

Moving in
Real Name
Emma
I just got back from a two week vacation, during which I left my GCC Finn with a sitter. He’s super aggressive to me now that I’ve picked him up. Every time I try to touch him he bites me hard enough to draw blood. I know that it will go away in a little bit and I just have to wait for him to cool down, but how should I deal with it in the meantime? I’ve put him in his cage, but he doesn’t seem very happy with the situation.

Last edited:

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
I think he's letting you know you are not suppose to go away without him

diitrex

Moving in
Real Name
Emma
@Appolosmom unfortunately taking him with me is not an option for me, as I’m not in control of where my family stays during vacation. The reality is, the damage has already been done :,) I don’t know how I’m meant to deal with it

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Patience, birds are funny and he is letting you know he is pxxxed. You hurt his feelings and its just gonna take time.

Doctress

Strolling the yard
I travel 2-3x per year overseas, I'm gone for 1-2 wks at a time. My Georgie Girl would tantrum each time. She'd want cuddles and attention, then bite, throw her food, and squawk to let me know she was mad at me. Then she'd go back to cuddles. I softened her by running to her IMMEDIATELY after returning home, getting excited to see her. She got excited too, and forgot to get mad at me :)

Smoky Blue is more tentative, and he's only been with me for 3 months. He doesn't seem as cuddly after I return, but I'm not sure how it will be once he's used to my coming/going.

BareEyedMama

Moving in
I just got home from a vacation, and my baby girl was angry with me for a few days. I like to do a softer approach to reintroduce myself to her.
Step 1) I leave her out and stay in the room with her but I dont hold her until she comes to me.
Step 2) I dont pet her or touch her until she asks.
Step 3) Continue whatever I was doing but with her on me.
If she bites, I go back to step 1. It usually takes about 2 hours but that’s because I have a cockatoo and she can’t stand not having attention. It could be longer depending on how stubborn your bird is.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
We usually return home from vacations in the evenings, so I don't interact with the birds until the next day. Since I work from home, I go about my day as I normally do and act as if there hasn't been any interruption in their schedule. My blue crowns are fine with it. My little GCC ignores me for a few hours and then she's back to normal. She's a strange little bird anyway. I just pretend nothing has happened and they all seem to be fine.