• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Affects of alcohol on birds?

MasterObli

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Meg
I've posted in another sub forum on here about the health issues my Meyers parrot Trinity was having. She was having diarrhea and when I took her to the vet, the vet noted that her droppings had a high yeast count and a low good bacteria count. She was prescribed some medication and it worked somewhat as long as Trinity kept taking it. I decided apple cider vinegar and probiotics might help get things improving faster and less stressful than taking her back to the vet and medicating her. It definitely helped.

Due to reasons I'm not too interested in getting into, my former roommate had fallen off the wagon and started drinking heavily (in my opinion I don't know what counts as heavy for an alcoholic) and admitted that they would vape in their room despite me making it clear that any smoking of any kind has to be done outside and away from the bird and then initially agreeing to this.

It's been about three days since they left and now Trinity's issues disappeared overnight. Literally. I've been keeping a close eye on her droppings and yesterday it was still the wrong colour and while more solid, still not a healthy solid. This morning it was like there was never any problems.

Could the vape or alcohol fumes have contributed to whatever made her sick? The roommate kept the door shut for all of this but parrot lungs are a lot more sensitive than human lungs

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I think it’s possible that something in the cape smoke bothered her. It’s also possible that the ACV and probiotics have grown up in her gut and settled it.

I don’t think alcohol fumes could bother a bird, especially not through a door.

Did this roommate handle or pet trinity? Vaping or smoking gets chemicals on your hands and probably your face. And birds are so small that a tiny amount on a hand might be a big dose to a bird.

I caught my sister giving a dip of wind to my Quaker years ago and I quite chewed her out. Birds do encounter alcohol in fermented berries but no bird needs a sip of wine or beer. No wonder her macaw had liver problems.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
The alcohol fumes from normal drinking alcohol poured into a glass would certainly not be a problem.

The vaping could be a concern... vaping is classified as just as damaging as actual cigarettes (if not worse) and should not be used indoor in areas shared by non smokers and pets.

MasterObli

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Meg
I think it’s possible that something in the cape smoke bothered her. It’s also possible that the ACV and probiotics have grown up in her gut and settled it.

I don’t think alcohol fumes could bother a bird, especially not through a door.

Did this roommate handle or pet trinity? Vaping or smoking gets chemicals on your hands and probably your face. And birds are so small that a tiny amount on a hand might be a big dose to a bird.

I caught my sister giving a dip of wind to my Quaker years ago and I quite chewed her out. Birds do encounter alcohol in fermented berries but no bird needs a sip of wine or beer. No wonder her macaw had liver problems.
Trinity has never been a very extroverted bird. Her idea of quality time together is her perched somewhere high and watching everyone from her lofty perch unless it's me. The most Trinity allowed of the roommate was Trinity rubbing her beak on their face after a prolonged absence.

It could be that they matured. It just seems weird that all of a sudden it's back its usual colour and consistency

MasterObli

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Meg
The alcohol fumes from normal drinking alcohol poured into a glass would certainly not be a problem.

The vaping could be a concern... vaping is classified as just as damaging as actual cigarettes (if not worse) and should not be used indoor in areas shared by non smokers and pets.
They got chewed out a bit for the vape thing. And what about empty beer cans and liquor bottles left laying around the room for days if not weeks? Could the collecting fumes then cause an issue?

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
They got chewed out a bit for the vape thing. And what about empty beer cans and liquor bottles left laying around the room for days if not weeks? Could the collecting fumes then cause an issue?
I wouldn’t think so.

I was more worried about possible contact with the vaper's hands/ fingers.

I’m thinking her tummy is better with probiotics .

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
No there wouldn’t be an issue with fumes from empty cans collecting.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
... my former roommate had fallen off the wagon and started drinking heavily... and admitted that they would vape in their room despite me making it clear that any smoking of any kind has to be done outside and away from the bird and then initially agreeing to this.
... Could the vape or alcohol fumes have contributed to whatever made her sick?
It's entirely possible that somebody who couldn't be trusted to follow your instructions not to vape could have shared their drinks with your bird.

It's been about three days since they left and now Trinity's issues disappeared overnight...
I'm glad Trinity is back to normal.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Nice to hear Trinity is feeling better. I'm sorry your roommate did not repect the rules you laid out.

MasterObli

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Meg
Nice to hear Trinity is feeling better. I'm sorry your roommate did not repect the rules you laid out.
Thank you. I don't fully hold what happened against them because a large part of it was out of their control but they are no longer my roommate because I will not have a repeat of what happened