• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adverse reaction to ACV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I'm very concerned right now.

Ella just poo'd, and it was definitely runny, watery diarrhea. There was hardly any consistency to it, and it was very watery. I'm quickly escalating to a state of panic and trying to keep myself calm.

Nothing has changed about her diet, except that she is now getting some Beak Appetite Cheese Teaser which she absolutely loves, I just got a new order in not too long ago from Shelly. However, I started adding ACV to the birds water last night. Could this be the cause of the runny poo? Am I adding too much? I've just been adding a splash in there (but I suppose it could be considered a healthy splash), and then stirring it. Everything else seems normal, breathing is fine, I don't see any tail bobbing or anything, she is very alert and bright. Archie just poo'd as well and I observed, also on the runny side, but not nearly to the extent that Ella's is. I'm so worried, should I get them into the vet? I just feel sick right now

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I've been using AVC for almost 3 years and never had any problems with it

has she eaten any Lettuce, or fruits? Romaine lettuce causes watery poops, as does fruits, Celery does as well

I don't know what Beak Appetite Cheese Teaser is - but since birds are lactose intolerant I would think cheese in their food wouldn't be a good thing? :confused: everything Ive ever read said not to feed cheese,milk, cottage cheese or any other milk products

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I don't think there is any cheese in that mix.

Maybe it was just too strong.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I did give them some fresh cut spinach? Would that do it? And no, no cheese in the mix. Don't know quite how it got that name lol.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Ok, definitely going to cut back on the ACV then to see if that makes a difference. I've called Paula who is a vet tech and she told me the same stuff, if by tomorrow I see runny poos in the cages, to call my vet immediately and get them in.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
well that is good there is no cheese- name is just deceiving lol

Spinach may cause it, I don't give it to mine often enough to recall if it caused any of them to have runny poops or not . but I know lettuce, cucumbers, celery things like that do because they're mainly water to start with.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Thanks Kelli. Yeah, I guess you're right about the water content. When you said the "recall" word, I also had this mass panic that it had been infected with bacteria like it was a couple months ago, and I promptly pulled that from their cage as well. They are both eating fine, gave them a little bit of their pellet mix with no beak appetite and no spinach/fresh veggies this time and they are both just chomping away and making a soup out of their non-ACV water now. I'm going to be keeping a close eye on them now to see if their poops firm up.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I don't like those beak appetite mixes, the one I had smelled awful. How about measuring out the ACV? I thought it was supposed to be just a couple drops? You could use a syringe perhaps? I hope your babies are ok.:hug8:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If giving ACV you should only be mixing a few drops into a bird size cup and not giving it a "splash". A common dose is 1 tablespoon per quart of water so it's very weak. I use a medicine dropper and add 10 drops to a large bird cup. Always measure it and don't just "splash" some in.

When first starting to use it, it should be very weak anyway to get them used to it.

But stop using it now anyway and see if that is what's causing the runny poop.

Do they drink a lot of water when they bathe or go in the shower? That would also cause some good squirters for a while.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I never thought of a medicine dropper - I've just been doing it for so long and in so many bowls I just use the bottle, but I have a system when I do mine (and really hate when the b/f decides that's the day he's going to help and starts taking my dishes to put them back lol)

but my system works for me may not work for every one
I go in and get every single birds water dish dump the water out and toss the bowl in my pre-filled hot soapy water sink , after I have all the dishes and my sinks nicely over filled with birdy dishes I grab a rag dip it in my water and go wash the Dish holders off - while the cups are soaking then I go wash all the cups. then rinse them all and line them up on my counter top and put one drop(out of the bottle) in to each cup then I add the water and use a plastic spoon swirl it around and go start giving them their dishes back.

for me it is easier to add the AVC 1st before the water then I can see exactly how much is in it but like i said I just pour it from the bottle really slow so i get just a drop or 2 at the most per dish but 90% of my dishes are 20oz

I do it the same way when I am using Pure Aloe Vera Juice - but I don't use the Aloe Vera Juice and ACV at the same time of course :)

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, Relax and calm down you have done nothing wrong.....:)

We use ACV here all quite a bit. Yes, sometimes it will make the poop a little loose but it will clear up the next day. The spinach may have contributed to the loose poops also.

If you are just starting out on ACV a few drops in a crock of water is enough you can increase it to a tablespoon be quart as John has mentioned. We actually use it stronger from time to time but you need to know your birds and have an idea what you are trying to improve.

Please keep us posted.

gary

Give the birds fresh water tonight and a light dosage of ACV tomorrow. The poops should be looking better by morning or mid day.

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
It makes Tiki's poop runny. From this thread I found out I'm using too much too. So maybe thats why.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
:omg: yes, then I am DEFINITELY using too much. Poor fids, sorry guys :(
This morning their poops were back to normal. Quite large, thanks to their second-dinner of just pellets, and of course, one managed to deposit theirs into the water bowl of fresh water. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the input. I'll definitely cut back to just a drop for a while. Both of them appeared well-rested this morning...glad one of us got some sleep. I was so worried that I couldn't get to sleep until about 4:00 AM this morning.

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
I use 1/2 tablespoon per cup of water when I use apple cider vinegar on the recommendation from the avian vet who sees my birds. :D

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I use ACV in Squeeky's water everyday. I have been using it since he was a baby. I just take a 16 oz water bottle and pour a tbsp of ACV into then I pour a bit into his fresh water bowl. Putting to large of an amount if they are not use to it might cause watery poops. I would cut down on the amount of ACV that you use and slowly up the dosage.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Thanks for all the advice everyone! Definitely will be taking that into consideration. I'm just so relieved both of them are ok.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Thanks for all the advice everyone! Definitely will be taking that into consideration. I'm just so relieved both of them are ok.
Me too!!

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
glad to hear things are back to normal :)

More than. Ella screamed her pretty little head off when Paul called me today to check in before he went to work and said that she was swinging from the top of her cage and screaming :rolleyes: She apparently is feeling much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.