• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Adult Cockatiel Aspirating?

SD1030

Strolling the yard
I have a 7 year old cockatiel who seems to be aspirating sometimes when he drinks water. Basically, it’s like this wet/gurgly exhale sound, as if there’s water in his upper respiratory tract. It goes away on its own after 3 minutes or so. Sometimes I hear him do it one time or 2 times and then stop. This goes on maybe once every few days.

It also sometimes happens when he gets misted in the shower.

Now I should add that one of his nostrils was blocked with dried dander/dust, which he finally was able to sneeze out.

I also want to add that he’s not a huge fan of pellets, but when I warm them in hot water, and make them into a mashed, watery consistency, he will eat them.

Anyone else have any experience with this?I’m planning on taking him to the vet this week - but just wanted some insight. Should I be concerned?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Tell the vet your concerns, not a vet myself, could be an allergy, a respiratory issue, anything in the house you use that could cause this? Is he moulting? Preening gets dust in the nares,,, is he by a draft of any kind?
@sunnysmom
@rocky'smom

SD1030

Strolling the yard
Yes he’s been molting, and he did have some dried up dander/dust in his left nostril for a few months. He finally was able to use his nails to clean/ sneeze it out.

SD1030

Strolling the yard
He was preening, and he started sneezing and some gunk came out of his nostrils just now.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
When is your bird seeing the vet?

SD1030

Strolling the yard
I’m planning on going tomorrow morning as an urgent care appointment.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’m planning on going tomorrow morning as an urgent care appointment.
I think this is the best idea.
They do get some funky stuff in their nares but your description of it being there and stuck for quite a while concerns me some. So does your description of the sound after your bird drinks.
Please come back and share what the vet says.

SD1030

Strolling the yard
So I went to the vet. Lots going on.

1) he had some extra gram negative bacteria in his gut but no yeast was prescribed a probiotic

2) he as an upper respiratory infection. he was prescribed clavamox and nystatin (for prophylactic purposes in case he develops a yeast infection in the gut)

3) it’s been day 8 out of 10 of treatment. I’ve noticed the breeding episodes have decreased, and they are more sporadic, so one or two here and there rather than a full 3-5 minutes.

Because the respiratory issues haven’t gone away completely - the vet suspects a lower respiratory infection. She wants to do an x ray and blood panel. The issue is I really worry that this may be too stressful for him. Are these sorts of tests done all the time with smaller birds like cockatiels? Are they safe and without risk?

also, she plans to give him voriconazole if I don’t do the diagnostics just yet in the event he had aspergillosis. My issue with all these tests is why should I subject my bird to all this stress when he’ll be getting voriconazole regardless?
I’m thinking to start the voriconazole and see how he does and wish on the x day and blood panel.

any thoughts?

SD1030

Strolling the yard
for what’s it’s worth, I started lowering the level of the water in my bird’s water bowl, and I’ve noticed that the hiccups have completely stopped. Maybe he was gulping in too much water and some was getting into his nostrils or something? Idk - but for whatever reason - I’ve noticed the hiccups have drastically reduced to almost zero