• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Accidentally fell asleep with my green cheek, he crawled under me

peeweeLUV

Moving in
Hi, I've been reading advice on this forum for a while, and never thought I'd be the one posting my emergency.

Today I was lying down with my green cheeked conure named PeeWee. I do this sometimes but rarely, and always stay awake to watch him. He enjoys his downtime with me. However, this time I fell asleep. While I was sleeping, he somehow crawled underneath the blanket and crawled next to my leg. I woke up to him struggling, and immediately got him out. I must've been asleep for 15-30 mins, and I messed up.

He was clearly shaken and was wheezing, and I immediately checked him all around. His wheezing lasted for around 30 seconds to a minute, and I was bringing him to his cage when he regurgitated. There was no blood, and it looked like normal regurgitation. He's regurgiated a few times before. I panicked and started checking him for injuries again. Once again, no injuries. In the ten minutes after, he was very quiet and wouldn't eat his favourite treat, almonds. I brought out some soft sweet foods like banana and apples, and at first he wouldn't touch them, but after 1-2 mins he ate a lot of it. Right now he's on my shoulder relaxing, and has gone back to his normal sassy behaviour.

I'm scared out of my mind. I cried, because this could've all been avoidable. He likes to lick my tears for some reason, but today he didn't. I cried even harder. I'm so sorry PeeWee. And he can't understand it, no matter how many times I tell him. I repeated it to him so many times. I cried happy tears when he bit me for the first time again, and squawked him name at me again. He was this near death, and I'd lose my life companion. I'm so happy he's a loud bird, because I'm afraid I wouldn't have woken up.

I will be taking him to the vet to get him checked out if his irregular behaviour returns. My question is, do birds regurgitate when in stress? Could this be a sign that I should drive him to the emergency animal clinic? I feel horrible, and I'm regularly checking him for injuries. I want him to be okay.

And I just want to say that this could've been avoidable. I've learned my lesson not to lay down with him. Please, don't let this happen to your bird too. He was so scared, and I never want to see that look on his face again.

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I’m sorry you had this experience, and I’m glad your little guy is okay.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Glad he seems ok, lucky you felt something weird and woke up. I have done that before, falling asleep with my bird next to me and luckily nobody got hurt but I never do that now. So many ways to have bad day you'd never expect.
:bluhug:

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
My green cheek has thrown up before after being frightened into a mad flight around the living room. There were no problems that followed so I assumed the fright upset her “tummy”

peeweeLUV

Moving in
Update:

Thank you so much for responding!!! PeeWee has returned completely back to normal!

I do think the throwing up was caused by nerves, thank goodness. Definitely gonna be much more cautious of being aware where he is :)

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Chiming in to add Titus would sometimes throw up when stressed, but he’s not really a good example of healthy bird behavior